New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie with this kind of stuff, please help out if you can --- I was looking on ebay today for some "Dry Fly Cape hackle" and I noticed that some of them contain numbers, like 2, 3 etc... Anyone know if these numbers mean something?

example quick look at ebay

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I'm a newbie with this kind of stuff, please help out if you can --- I was looking on ebay today for some "Dry Fly Cape hackle" and I noticed that some of them contain numbers, like 2, 3 etc... Anyone know if these numbers mean something?

example quick look at ebay
It is the quality of the cape, #1 being best some show Bronze, Silver, Gold etc

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hard to do online, but they should be able to give you an idea how long the hackle would be
I'm more concern with the width though, what I bought is way too wide, probably 35% of them is a good size but the rest is crap pretty much

·
Registered
91 Posts
Save those wide hackles for bombers or to trade with guys who tie bombers. Getting good quality wide hackle for bombers is getting harder since there is so much demand for narrow hackle from the trout fishers and that's what the breeders are focused on. I used to drive from Fredericton to Riverview to buy good wide hackle from Bryant at Escape. He had the best capes around, but now even he is having difficulty getting wide capes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts