New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Hi Rej, I've never fished dogfish before, but I'm told by those who do fish them that they fish off the wharf by the old abandoned factory at Dorchester, right on the water.
Some others I know put a boat in the water and fish in that area. They say a boat is the best option as is fishing on the rising tide. Some even use canoes in there.
I always wanted to try this but never have. Apparently they are totally catchable in that area and they get more than a few, but not a large number.
Good luck if you go and let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
hay rej i have been fishing in dorchester all year. i caught 4 sand sharks but not for a long time. i caught 2 bass that is usually when you the sand sharks stop biting or leave.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I grew up fishing Dogfish in Dorchester. What we used to do was just bring worms, fish for tommycod right off of the wharf, and then cut it into pieces and place those pieces on Treble Hooks and cast it out. You'll usually end up catching a dogfish or two, and some skates, both are lots of fun.

Ever since I moved to Saint John, I've been saying I'd go back and fish them sometime when I'm down visiting my parents, but time always gets away from me. Best of luck!

·
Registered
28 Posts
how big do these sandsharks get? what would i need to catch them? something like what is used for muskies and stripers? i live pretty close to dorchester and i may have to give it a shot one of these days

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
up where i fish in nova scotia they vcaught one around 50 lbs and its in the say place as dorchester so they could get pretty big

1 - 9 of 9 Posts