New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone else besides me flyfishes for trout this early in the season ( April and May) Most of the people I talk to use worms or worms and hildebrant spinners for early season fishing. I use the fly rod right from opening day, and catch my share of trout using wet flies and streamers with a sinking tip line to get the flies down to the fish in high cold water.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yes, use a fly rod all season. Don't use sinking lines but I do use a poly leader and or weighted flies.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I was out yesterday with the 5wt, we saw fish but no takers..to me, this is the perfect time to be out with the fly rod.. various species of insect are preparing to hatch as the days get warmer. You never know when you are going to be on the river and a hatch comes on and then it will be insane. The feeding frenzy will ensue... just make sure you have the fly to match it..lol...

Here is the vid I shot of yesterdays trip

·
Registered
138 Posts
i fly fish all season too, worm dunkers are pretty clueless, when trout are feeding on mayflies or flies in general...9 times outta 10 they won't hit a worm...lol

·
Registered
73 Posts
I fly fish year round, also. No worm dunking for me... Too easy and IMO too boring...Catching something is just an added bonus when fly fishing. When a hatch is on, there is no better feeling in the world than spotting the fish and having him take!

BTW, nice video exstreamfisherman...sums up a nice day on the river.

Tight lines everyone!

MC

·
Registered
40 Posts
all i use is a flyrod unless after stripers or mackerel was out yesterday ( the 21st) and landed about 20 small (8-10 inch) trout...all released as with pretty well all the fish i catch. was a great way to spend 2 hours on the river

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yeah i flyfish early i have already busted out the mayflies and caught a couple sea runs. the guys on the bank across from me caught nothing on worms.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Back home in NS, early season to me has always been trout season... I find they like the cooler water far better and are more active..once you get into the heat of summer I don't bother to look for trout much anymore unless it is a larger river.. the warmer temps just make it to difficult for the fish to recover as quickly.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Fish have a tendency to ignor what they are not feeding on naturally, plus most of their attention is spent looking up and sticking close to the surface, so a worm going by underneath them wont catch there attention, if you use a small hook and a small worm and just let it float down the current you will have much better luck, but again is not as fun as fly fishing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I do both. Fly fish and "worm dunk" I think it takes a good fishermen/woman to understand the paterns of fish.
I fish about 98% of the year with a fly line and rarely use true wetflies (simply because I think they are boring to fish with).

To answer your questions I say use what you think you should use; I used to be one of these people that **** all over people using worms but then I realized it can take just as much skill to live bait fish and just as much gear to do it properly.

Don't let the shitters make you feel like an idiot for worm fishing just be confident that you are making the right choice and following the trouts habbits in any particular area. (Some areas trout don't want worms and other areas they do)

·
Registered
438 Posts
I use what catches fish..even if i plan on fly fishing i will take a telescopic spincasrt in my pack..if allowed, some days fish are funny and will not take a fly, but most often its the conditions that make it harder to fish productivly with a fly, ie high wind, or in most cases where i fish trout...alder bushes thick enough to block out light...ive yet to find trout that won`t take a worm, maybe not a worm in spinner, somedays they dont want that, but a small worm dead drift (i use a small barbless octopus style ) works better than a fly on a lot of occasions. one combo that ive found deadly is a spinner and worm with a fly attached a few feet above the spinner...ive they don`t want the worm they will usually hit the fl, and a lot of time just the flash will bring them up to investigate , but they end up nailing the fly close to the surface...ive caught some of my biggest brookies using this method. Some poeple think its no fun,,but to me catching fish on a worm is more fun than fishing all day and not catching anything...especially when ive only got one full day of the week to fish.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I too carry both .....waaaayy too far back to the truck and what if u need a spare when something could possibly break. Buy a rod that can handle both and there u go it's not rocket appliances !!! Better with fly and bigger fish. If u catch more wouldn't that increase the chances for a bigger catch? Here fishy fishy!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I went to today to the hammond river by the covered bridge, water is way to high and way to fast to do any fly fishing.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I did enjoy being called "clueless" by flyfisherc&r tho lol. I was always under the impression fishing was fun, regardless of what u use.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I prefer fishing with a worm over fly fishing but thats just my opinion, I dont think anyone is clueless for preferring to use a different method.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Not at all.. every angler has a different preference when it comes to fishing.. there are no cookie cutters out there just alike. Some prefer worms and live bait, some go strickly spinning gear and hard and soft plastics, some go for Fly alone, some mix it up and use all of it depending on the situation and the species they are fishing.. I fall under the last category however I must admit I haven't used live bait since I was in my early teens... so I guess you cuold scratch that one off the list.. No one should blame you or cast aspersions on any method you feel comfortable with.. just as C&R is a personal choice. Some out there wish to keep everything they catch and other wish to release them all no matter what and still others practice selective harvest.. knowing your system and what it can realistically tolerate is critical for a successful population to be maintained. Enjoy mother nature and her bounty but if you are going to practice C&R then you should rethink the live bait issue since it has been proven to damage more fish than other methods simply because of the fish's ability to swallow the live bait deeper. Good luck on the water and enjoy...

·
Registered
184 Posts
I think it was Ted Leeson who said "we fish for pleasure, I for mine and you for yours". I suspect that none of us are fishing in order to survive, so do whatever seems fun to you, respect the resouce, and respect the choices made by others.

Feel free to laugh when the water goes over my waders, no offence will be taken. After a couple of days I will think that I was having fun.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the replies to this thread. I posted it to see if anyone else was fishing flies this early in the season, and I guess there is, most of the fishermen I see use worms this time of year, and thats what I used to do, but I find that I can catch as many trout as the bait fishermen using a fly line with a sinking tip, and a streamer or wet fly, and as an added bonus if you want to release a trout it has a much better chance of survival when caught with a fly than if caught with bait , when the hook is caught way down in the trout's gullet. So keep casting those flies, and I hope ya all have many good fishing days.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts