New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Ya, it would be nice to know what exactly happened there. I would suspect based on what I was told by commercial shad fishermen in the area that the stripers may have been by-catch and thrown back dead. They too can only keep one over 68cm, so anymore than that is seagull food. That may be why the answer was never reported

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya, it would be nice to know what exactly happened there. I would suspect based on what I was told by commercial shad fishermen in the area that the stripers may have been by-catch and thrown back dead. They too can only keep one over 68cm, so anymore than that is seagull food. That may be why the answer was never reported
My thoughts as well. Just seems odd that no other fish species seemed to turn up dead, and even more odd that there's really no more information to be found on this. Maybe I'll contact DFO to see what I can find out:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
That Kid was me! haha

I haven't really heard anything about the matter either. I was talking to a guy from the DFO who was doing beach seines in the Belleisle looking for juvenile stripers but he didn't have an explanation for it either. I do know one thing though, after that year when they started washing up dead we stopped catching fish of legal size. The first year after they died we started only catching stripers about a foot long and every year to follow they would get a little bit larger. Almost as if it was a single generation of juveniles who stayed in the bay. It wasn't until last year that we finally caught one of legal size. Before the year they died we could go out almost any day in the fall and easily catch a couple in the 10-15lb range and fish of 20lbs or so weren't terribly uncommon but we haven't seen any in the bay that size in years. The guy from the DFO did say that stripers along the rest of the Saint John river weren't affected in the same way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts