New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Monday, I took a stroll down to the Peticodiac River right behind Blue Cross Centre around 1:30-2pm. As the tide was coming in fast (tidal bore must have come up about 20-30 minutes earlier), I noticed what first appeared like a piece of wood along the shore right below me. Well sure enough, I saw a dorsal fin, then the back fin, and it appeared to be kind of feeding along the mud, half its body was out of the water. It soon stuck all its body in the water, but was turning around, moving up and down for about 30 minutes before I lost sight of it. It appeared like the body of a salmon...it must have been at least 2 1/2 feet long. Color was light, greenish, distance between dorsal fin and back fin was over 1 foot. Back fin was a big old one, sticking way up in the air when it turned around! Was amazing to watch...wondering what species that was...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you could reference this link that will open a PDF to see if you can identify the fish species.... bass, sturgeon... maybe salmon, but i would be more inclined towards the first 2 options i elaborated on...

http://petitcodiac.org/uploads/Posters/Marine_species_Petitcodiac_2.pdf
Honestly...I have looked at all of them, and the Salmon is the obvious one. I got a good look at this whole body on top (when it was half submerged), and the fins were like a Salmon (as opposed to a Striper, which has pointed razors for fins). It was definitely not a sturgeon...I have seen many salmon, and this thing looked exactly like one. That was my first impression, and it remains so.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Honestly...I have looked at all of them, and the Salmon is the obvious one. I got a good look at this whole body on top (when it was half submerged), and the fins were like a Salmon (as opposed to a Striper, which has pointed razors for fins). It was definitely not a sturgeon...I have seen many salmon, and this thing looked exactly like one. That was my first impression, and it remains so.
You just never know... it would be awesome if it was.... it has been a while since they have been around in your area that is for sure...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Wasn't there a news article this spring about releasing salmon fry in that river?

·
Registered
576 Posts
based on your description and what the fish was doing next to shore, I'd venture a guess at a large whitefish/sucker

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I'd say Striper, you said it was over a foot between the dorsal andf back fin and the back fin was big, the back fin on the samon isn't that big, but it is on a striper.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd say Striper, you said it was over a foot between the dorsal andf back fin and the back fin was big, the back fin on the samon isn't that big, but it is on a striper.
I got a very good view of the dorsal fin...NOT a stripper for sure. Back fin stuck way up when the fish was turning around (tail was raised).

·
Registered
395 Posts
salmon could possible, everything is possible I guess... I won't be surprise either if it is a salmon. You should probably contact PetitCodiac group or whatever and let them know perhaps they already noticed something similar... maybe they know something that we don't

·
Registered
35 Posts
Salmon or Not a Salmon?

Well great speculation on everyone's part but here's the scoop....it's all about what they don't tell ya gdog or better put what they don't want jo q public to know about, but you kind of stumble across a conversation once in awhile.

You saw a Salmon, a stripper very distinct looking and I believe you would know the difference.....

Last year during the big storm we had late in the fall, on the NS side of the Bay of Fundy 150,000 impounded domestically raised salmon escaped. Guess where some of them ended up...you guessed correctly in the Petitcodiac river system chasing smelts this spring.

An aquaintenance of mine who works for DFO confirmed this as someone from DFO caught one at the mouth of Little River, took a scale sample had it tested and CSI'd it back to the escapies....

Now could your Salmon sighting be one of the thought to be extinct Petit Salmon....probably not, they releases 500,000 this spring with teh hopes that 200 smolts/parr grow up to be adults. Additionally these salmon are not pure Petitcodiac salmon - this is an experiment partly to measure survival rates but also to see if they will imprint themselves to the Petit and its tributaries.

Hope this clears things up....oh by the way there are Strippers in the river as well as Sturgeon....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts