New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any info for our group headed to Depot this weekend, hopefully water levels will be down. Should we bring atv's, info on pools,,,,,,,, thanks for any help.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I think if you do a search in the salmon forum, you should be able to find a few posts there about the Depot... all I can say is that the road getting to the Depot is good and that i've heard you can take an atv down the trail there to get to some of the pools... I've never fished there myself but have fished at Crawford a few times.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Anyone have any info for our group headed to Depot this weekend, hopefully water levels will be down. Should we bring atv's, info on pools,,,,,,,, thanks for any help.
We were there last yr Sept 9-11 and the fishing was great, but the conditions were perfect and the water had come up after a month of no precip.
ATV a bonus if you want to access the pools below American pool, you need to cross the river and I suspect it may be difficult with the recent raise, but likely doable. Most productive pool is American pool, with the Camp pool and Hook em and Loose-em pool also landing us fish. Wade across the rapid above American Pool and fish it from the opposite side of the river for a different angle. Moose Brook pool should also have fish. Also check out the steep bank pool on the way to American pool, I forget what it is called, and it isnt on the gnb map. As Wannafish said, type in Depot in the upper right Search menu above and you will see a long thread with discussion from last Au/Sept with descriptions of pools, flies, etc. Camp is A1 and easy to get to.
Good luck and report back what happened.

·
Registered
576 Posts
We were there last yr Sept 9-11 and the fishing was great, but the conditions were perfect and the water had come up after a month of no precip.
ATV a bonus if you want to access the pools below American pool, you need to cross the river and I suspect it may be difficult with the recent raise, but likely doable. Most productive pool is American pool, with the Camp pool and Hook em and Loose-em pool also landing us fish. Wade across the rapid above American Pool and fish it from the opposite side of the river for a different angle. Moose Brook pool should also have fish. Also check out the steep bank pool on the way to American pool, I forget what it is called, and it isnt on the gnb map. As Wannafish said, type in Depot in the upper right Search menu above and you will see a long thread with discussion from last Au/Sept with descriptions of pools, flies, etc. Camp is A1 and easy to get to.
Good luck and report back what happened.
Korlando... I think you meant to say " as Chadman said " and not "as Wannafish said"... no prob for the mix up.. I get called lots of names! lol lol

·
Registered
64 Posts
It's hard to beat the American Pool, but my favorite is Moose Brook. Takes a while to drive down with the 4 wheeler, but well worth it every time I have been down there. The "Highbank Pool" I will call it, on the way down to American is totally being disrespected by not having a name on the maps. It fishs super well. Bring a net for it, because there is no beach to land a fish at all. Fish all the way down low by the big rocks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Two of my friends were there earlier this summer, and they had the best fishing of their lives at Hook em and Lose em pool. They said it was absolutely ridiculous. But that was around six weeks ago. And they said the pool was well named because they lost a ton of fish... the rocks would break the leaders.

·
Registered
298 Posts
As Chadman said, I posted my results for Depot we were there July 26 -28, I friend of mine was there June 26 -28 If my post doesn't help ya send me a PM I will be more then glad to answer any question you might have that will help ya.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Was decent fishing; water was quite high and a bit stained, but not too dirty. Hooked fish in No-Name, Camp, Dead Crow, Bridge, Alder, American and Moose Brook pools. American was not producing like normal for some reason. Hooked most of our fish on fairly large fall flies like Ally's Shrimp, LT Special, etc. Only one on a Green Machine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the info, sorry JakeNB that I didnt get back on here before you went. We had a similar trip water was high but not dirty, too high to cross with wheeler though. We had some succsess at American, Camp and Crow. Water was really high the day we left but we still got fish at the Camp and American pools. Camp was great, no bear sightings, it rained all weekend so the wood stove was great. It was well worth taking the bikes, saves so much walking time and allows more time on the water. My only regret is not being able to cross and hit the lower pools. Tons of fish showing at American pool but Camp pool was full of fish also. Trails were in great condition.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Wade across and fish it from the other side wet - you can fish dry from the camp side though. Helps to be a righty. Been quite a while since I've been there, the pool could have changed since I last saw it - maybe you'd better wait for other responses!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wade across and fish it from the other side wet - you can fish dry from the camp side though. Helps to be a righty. Been quite a while since I've been there, the pool could have changed since I last saw it - maybe you'd better wait for other responses!
This is the correct way to fish the pool. The place to fish from is not where the path or sign is but down river slightly. There is a constriction in the river where it narrows and below this is where the pool is. Start fishing just above the narrow spot and let your wet fly drift into the channel R-L when casting from the left side of the river. I think there was a large rock in the river you could stand behind. If you hook a fish, you need to wade down river to where it widens again because you wont be able to pull the fish through the current to where you are casting from. I landed a 12-15 lb one there last Sept and I replay the event in my head frequently (my first non-grilse)

Fish may hold up closer to the sign for the pool depending on water levels (there is a deep area there as you cross), but it may have filled in over the years. There was nothing there when I was there.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Mmmmmm??? Not sure what you mean with regard to the sign - but using the brook as a reference point, are you talking about fishing above where it flows in or below? All the fish that we saw/hooked were near the exposed rock just out from the R side of the river (looking down stream) that is just ABOVE the brook.

·
Registered
11 Posts
We caught our fish standing just above the brook and in the brook, between where the brook runs into the river and where the rapids begin was loaded with fish when we were there. In Dead Crow pool we caught fish between the three big rocks showing just below the camp. The Bridge pool I waded across where the bike trail crosses and walked up the opposite side of the river and fish back down toward the pool on the camp side, found it tuff to fish as I needed to wade to access it. but both sides of that strecth seemed to have potential. Eventually I ended up in the middle of the river, I may have walked right through and spooked them all, water was high and I didnt see any other way to get in the water above it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mmmmmm??? Not sure what you mean with regard to the sign - but using the brook as a reference point, are you talking about fishing above where it flows in or below? All the fish that we saw/hooked were near the exposed rock just out from the R side of the river (looking down stream) that is just ABOVE the brook.
If I remember correctly when you walk down the trail from the camp, there is a sign saying "Camp Pool". I honestly dont remember there even being a brook, but looking again at the map, I would say where I caught my fish was down river from the brook. Water levels msut have been different when I was there.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've never been there when the water was high... in low water we found the fish in under the alders right across from where the path comes out.. had to go up above the brook and wade out so the fly would swing in properly

1 - 20 of 20 Posts