New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got Crown reserve for the 8,9, and 10th of Sep on the Depot. I have been to Crawford in '05 in July with great success.
Looking for advice wrt pools and access. I know the water is terribly low and dont want to waste time hiking around much as I see the lower pools are accesible from the opposite side of the river as the road. In your oppinion, what would be the most productive pools? Do we need an ATV, or could I use my mountain bike even? Any possibility at all of bringing a canoe to move up and down? I am good with a pole or would it not even be worthwhile to bring it? It says canoe not advisable, but I wish I had mine when I was at Crawford yrs ago. Of course the water was higher then!
Looking for Earl to dump a few inches and excite those fish on the weekend and hopefully things will be good when we get there.
Thanks

·
Registered
186 Posts
Got Crown reserve for the 8,9, and 10th of Sep on the Depot. I have been to Crawford in '05 in July with great success.
Looking for advice wrt pools and access. I know the water is terribly low and dont want to waste time hiking around much as I see the lower pools are accesible from the opposite side of the river as the road. In your oppinion, what would be the most productive pools? Do we need an ATV, or could I use my mountain bike even? Any possibility at all of bringing a canoe to move up and down? I am good with a pole or would it not even be worthwhile to bring it? It says canoe not advisable, but I wish I had mine when I was at Crawford yrs ago. Of course the water was higher then!
Looking for Earl to dump a few inches and excite those fish on the weekend and hopefully things will be good when we get there.
Thanks
scroll down the salmon fishing list of threads...should already be one on DEPOT.

Good luck!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just got back from Depot. Timing was perfect as the water had risen and continued to rise and then fall while we were there. Plus it was wet and cold. There was lots of action at the American Pool especially. Wish I had more time to fish Moose Brook and Hook-em and loose-em pools, but landed a small salmon out of the latter. Landed a fat hen (15lbs, my first big fish) out of Dead Crow pool. All other "pools" other than those mentioned were disappointing at the levels present when we were there, not even able to locate any holding water at a few of them.
All told we hooked 15 and landed 12, 3 salmon and 9 grilse. Both the guys I was with caught their first Atlantic slamon in their lives so it was great!! We had to leave early and arrived late, so only got 1.5 days in. Plus with only 3 rods (and 2 of them newbies)and great % of hooked vs landed, it shows you how important timing is and how good it can be when conditions are right. The fish were active rolling, jumping and it seemes that they were taking hard as there were few false takes. Unfortunately we couldn't get any action with dry flies despite my attempts at bomber and Wulf offerings. Fish were caught on Green Machines (white and glitter tails), Ally's Shrimp, Undertakers, Lady Joan, Orange Cosseboom, and Butterflies.
Kind of spoils you, but I aint complaining!
Couple of the pools were hard to locate (Scott, Alder Run, Un-Named pool) as there were no signs. Wouldn't waste my time at any of these again anyway, but there were reports of fish being taken from these spots in the cabin log book.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Glad to hear you had good fishing. I was at Depot Jun 30-Jul 2nd and had good luck. Yes....timing is everything. Too bad you couldn't locate alder run (AKA High Bank Pool), I think it is THEE hidden gem of Depot that most overlook. Sounds like you had a blast and the "newbies" had a great taste of salmon fishing. Congrats on all levels.

RH

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad to hear you had good fishing. I was at Depot Jun 30-Jul 2nd and had good luck. Yes....timing is everything. Too bad you couldn't locate alder run (AKA High Bank Pool), I think it is THEE hidden gem of Depot that most overlook. Sounds like you had a blast and the "newbies" had a great taste of salmon fishing. Congrats on all levels.

RH
Thanks, yes it was a great trip, we even had a double header going on for a little while.
Can you please describe to me how you were fishing that Alder run in case I ever get back there. It was frustrating because as I said, there were reports of other groups catching fish and describing it as being full of fish (maybe I was reading your report!) As you head down to American pool the trail comes close to the river on a high bank and there is a foot path leading to the river down the gravelly bank. This foot path is directly beside the trail where there is a space for you to turn or park your vehicle. This trail comes out as the river comes together after splitting in two creating a small island only 100m or so long. The right branch that goes next to the bank is narrower than the main branch, but is quite deep as it travels along the steep bank. I took the trail described above crossed the right branch below the island and walked upstream on the main branch to get to the top of the right branch run. There is a large rock at the top of the branch so I fished the deep pool and small eddy behind it and the run all along the bank. No action, so fed up, I walked back up through the run to see if I could see any fish moving... nothing. Either there were no fish there or I just didn't see them cause it was raining and the water surface was turbulent. Once I got back down to where the separate branches joined together after the island (by the footpath), I fished the left side which was a shallow run. I did not see any rolling or jumping in 30 mins so moved back down to American pool where I knew there were fish.
Maybe you cant remember it in that much detail, but I was just wondering?
Thanks for any comments you or anyone else may have.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thanks, yes it was a great trip, we even had a double header going on for a little while.
Can you please describe to me how you were fishing that Alder run in case I ever get back there. It was frustrating because as I said, there were reports of other groups catching fish and describing it as being full of fish (maybe I was reading your report!) As you head down to American pool the trail comes close to the river on a high bank and there is a foot path leading to the river down the gravelly bank. This foot path is directly beside the trail where there is a space for you to turn or park your vehicle. This trail comes out as the river comes together after splitting in two creating a small island only 100m or so long. The right branch that goes next to the bank is narrower than the main branch, but is quite deep as it travels along the steep bank. I took the trail described above crossed the right branch below the island and walked upstream on the main branch to get to the top of the right branch run. There is a large rock at the top of the branch so I fished the deep pool and small eddy behind it and the run all along the bank. No action, so fed up, I walked back up through the run to see if I could see any fish moving... nothing. Either there were no fish there or I just didn't see them cause it was raining and the water surface was turbulent. Once I got back down to where the separate branches joined together after the island (by the footpath), I fished the left side which was a shallow run. I did not see any rolling or jumping in 30 mins so moved back down to American pool where I knew there were fish.
Maybe you cant remember it in that much detail, but I was just wondering?
Thanks for any comments you or anyone else may have.
WOW - that is some great fishing...or should I say catching!

If you go down the gravel bank to the river and look up river - you will see the little island and on the right side a large old fallen tree going across that branch. Don't go up that way at all - cross the river and walk down river...you don't have to go very far and you can start casting to the other side of the river (the side the trail to American pool is on). I was there the end of July and that whole stretch was absolutely full of grilse...didn't see a salmon.

Sounds like you went up when you should've went down...?

Just curious...did you put in the regular draw or pick this up in the mini draw?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WOW - that is some great fishing...or should I say catching!

If you go down the gravel bank to the river and look up river - you will see the little island and on the right side a large old fallen tree going across that branch. Don't go up that way at all - cross the river and walk down river...you don't have to go very far and you can start casting to the other side of the river (the side the trail to American pool is on). I was there the end of July and that whole stretch was absolutely full of grilse...didn't see a salmon.

Sounds like you went up when you should've went down...?

Just curious...did you put in the regular draw or pick this up in the mini draw?
Crap! You are right I did go up and that fallen tree is still there. I did fish that left side a bit below the island as you said, but should have given it more time. When you only have a short time at these crown reserve locations and dont have any knowledge of where the fish may be holding up, it isn't always that obvious, especially on a small shallow stretch like the upper NWM. But I am still learning how to read the water as well. Now I know! Thanks.
My brother in-law put our names in for the regular draw last spring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts