New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I had to make this new Topic because I cant seem to ever quickly find where the original discussion is LOL...

KMB , since I'm not sure yet if my shacks going out or where I figured this would be an easier way to organise the trip..

Sako if your reading this how is the ice up there now , Im sure its good to go now..

Right now Im working Mon - Fri and have weekends off but that could change at any time and I ll be moving to 4 on 4 off...

Next weekend is Superbowl Weekend so probably not a good choice. However the rest of Febuary looks good for me even if I go back to my reg shift , I am off weekends... A Saturday trip would be best for me as I hold a poker game every sunday evening at my place so Id have to be back intown by 4 or 5 pm..And if im not mistaken Saturdays are god for Dwayne and Scott as well...

So if we make this a go we should get a list of things to bring..
Jay:
Snomobile
Gas Auger
4 man Ice Cube
Portable Heater
I only have 2 tip-ups

So other items and who can bring them:( Please feel free to add to this list )
A small BBQ or something to cook on.
Maybe Hot Dogs / Suasages
Buns
some chairs
More tents/shlter
Fishing Gear ( Tip-ups )
Bait

All welcome to join in. Will be a great time and great way to meet other members of this site ..
Cheers Jay

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm available any weekend. Wife can't wait to get me out of the house. Lots of ice, now, sleds have been everywhere on the lakes. Any idea which lake you want to fish? Modsley has good pickrel fishing and can be very productive for white perch if you hit it right. Wauklehegan is the most accessable. 20 minute walk puts you in a white perch, pickrel, cusk and the occasional yellow perch. We've caught the odd catfish while trying to catch cusk. Depending on ice conditions there may be a road plowed past the first island and going past the best fishing. I just got a new igloo sled which can handle just about anything. I've got a buddy that likes to fish Wauklehegan and he generally brings a gas auger, chainsaw, has a snowmobile or ATV. I walk as I can't go on a sled or ATV, broken vertabrae tend to really hurt. Let me know what you decide, I'm flexable and have most everything needed. As for tip- ups, they aren't really a necessity on Wauklehegan. Maple suckers work excellent. LOL. A bit primitive but cheap. I've got lots of home- made tipups but tend to travel fairly light. I have a dog to pull the sled but he isn't that great yet, by this time next year he will be pulling the sled.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The more the merrier. I broke down and went and bought a snowmobile this afternoon so the dog won't be dragging my sled and spreading my gear all over the lake.LOL I also just got 2 more tipups from my inlaws for my birthday to break in.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow this is very dissapointing , but due to Sakos update on ( http://newbrunswickfishing.com/forums/index.php?/topic/579-fishing-this-weekend/page__view__getnewpost__fromsearch__1) In the previous post , Im thinking that we should deep 6 this trip... Before one of us is deep 6'd ourselves..
im very dissapointed in the winter this year, Ive mangaed to
only get out twice this year
, was planning a trip to glenwood this coming weekend but am now a little hesitant due to Ice condition reports everywhere you turn!!

I stopped by Millidgeville yesterday but didnt go past the shore , it was very very quiet out there ..

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm sure discetion should be used this year. I know there's more ice under the water but it's not good ice. All the lakes seem to be about the same. I wasted the cost of the permit and probably gained a few more grey hairs but I would have felt terrible having anyone go out on the ice and encounter the conditions I did. I talked with a guy that took a 4 wheeler up in the a.m. to his camp, and he said it was unbelievable trying to get back down the lake after lunch, he said he pushed the bike all the way and was soaked to the waist. I've got a feeling the snow is working like insulation and the warmer water is eating away at the ice. Chances are the lakes will be open earlier this year so it's not all bad.If I can't fish now, bring on the mosquitos!!!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sako Maybe I will see you on the water this summer. A group of us will be there first weekend of june, we've been doing this trip for a few years now and some people are begining to reconise us .LOL Not sure if thats a good thing LOL ....

·
Registered
208 Posts
Chances are, you've ran into me.I fish Wauklehegan quite a bit. Going up the lake from the boat ramp, the first small camp on the right belongs to my in-laws. My wife is a momma's girl so practically every weekend we are up on the lake. My brother-in-law's family owns the first island and her aunt has a camp up there also. Been on that lake for over 40 years but still find the odd new rock to grind my prop on. After you get through the channel there is a yellow camp you can see on an island. The guy that owns it rents it out and it's pretty reasonable. May be something you want to look into.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chances are, you've ran into me.I fish Wauklehegan quite a bit. Going up the lake from the boat ramp, the first small camp on the right belongs to my in-laws. My wife is a momma's girl so practically every weekend we are up on the lake. My wife's sister owns the first island and her aunt has a camp up there also. Been on that lake for over 40 years but still find the odd new rock to grind my prop on. After you get through the channel there is a yellow camp you can see on an island. The guy that owns it rents it out and it's pretty reasonable. May be something you want to look into.
Actually we rented the island fron Ron last summer , this year were staying at his lodge just behind the boat houses... You cant beat the pricing , we paid $100 a night for the camp on the island .. worked out to $12.50 / night per person... You cant get any better then that .. We also rented a boat from him as well , and he got a nice tip as well , not to mention all the bottles and cans for return LOL .. Its more expensive per person for the lodge but its still worth every penny considering what you get ... The only thing we miss is haveing a campfire on a nice night ....

We use to bring a trailer or 2 up and stay in the campground. That was when it was empty ! We had the p[lace to ourselves... But now its got some seasonals and we dont want to bother them ,Too much LOL .Were pretty quiet for a group of 8 drunkin fools,lol until we get out the fireworks lol ..

Last year the weather was bad , it rained heavy everyday so we spent most of the time in the camp playing poker, and got out for a fish when it cleared off for a few hours .. Were at klinkers every morning for breakfast which is another nice part of staying at the lodge.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I think I saw you guys last year. I've got a green roughneck with a 4 stroke on it. Usually about 2 feet of boat left in the water. The first 2 boat houses to the left of the dock belong to my wife's family. I usually leave my boat there. Last year the kids cut my fuel lines and slashed my seats so it won't be left out there again. But in a way it was kind of my fault. Leaving a boat all week unattended is taking a chance. They knew I was only around on the weekends. Let me know when you guys are heading to the lodge, I'm always up for some stimulating conversation. LOL. If you are there the first week of June, that's the best time to get a feed of white perch. I've got a spot where you can get a limit of pound plus white perch in an hour. It's always right around the first 2 weeks of June.I'll find some pics from last year.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We have definatly crossed paths for sure . The discription of 2 foot of boat in the water is a dead give away ! LOL I always wondered how you can steer with only being able to see the floor of your boat LOL We will be there the 2nd to the 5th of June ... The vandalism sucks , thats the one thing I liked about being at the Island Camp,, Over night you have to take a boat to get at our gear.. I dont like leaving my boat full of gear in the open for all to see ,especially when theres kids around... Im hoping to be able to use Rons Boat house, Ill put evereones gear in my boat and keep it inside. The only trouble we had was a few years back a couple of the smaller boats were tipped over spilling all our gear out and breaking 2 rods... Could have been much worse... Id love to try out the perch, Havent gone after them there yet as the pickerel fishing is such a blast. We also target the bass as well, Ive only gotten small bass in there but I know theres some biggies too... One day my dad and I were up just for a day fish and a fella showed us a pic of a 5 lb bass he cought in the cove to the left of the boat houses.. I think he said he got it on a red devil spoon ..

·
Registered
208 Posts
I hate to say yes on the chance someone may get wet but with snowshoes you would stay out of the water and slush. I've fished before the first island and caught a few picherel but the best fishing is behind the island. I've walked up to the hole many times but with 2 feet of snow it's pretty miserable. I'm not a big fan of snowshoes, I wear them for work because it's a necessity. I've thought about it and with 5 holes and multiple fish it might be very busy. It's very common to have 3 or 4 fish at a time, if you get a school of perch, and running on snowshoes would certainly add to the fishing. If anyone decides to try it, remember there is a brook, Colter's Brook, dumping into the lake halfway to the island on the right side. It was last to freeze and is always first to open. With the flooding we had in January, Colter's Brook is still running. I'd stay to the left side of the lake to the island. There haven't been many snowmobiles on the lake so travelling on snowmobile trails would be hard. I've almost got myself talked into trying it..... almost.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think I saw you guys last year. I've got a green roughneck with a 4 stroke on it. Usually about 2 feet of boat left in the water. The first 2 boat houses to the left of the dock belong to my wife's family. I usually leave my boat there. Last year the kids cut my fuel lines and slashed my seats so it won't be left out there again. But in a way it was kind of my fault. Leaving a boat all week unattended is taking a chance. They knew I was only around on the weekends. Let me know when you guys are heading to the lodge, I'm always up for some stimulating conversation. LOL. If you are there the first week of June, that's the best time to get a feed of white perch. I've got a spot where you can get a limit of pound plus white perch in an hour. It's always right around the first 2 weeks of June.I'll find some pics from last year.

Hello Sako;
I am from Moncton and have fished Wauklehegan in the past for white perch. I fished from the boat launch area and caught about 20 fish 7 to 10 inches long, and one of 12 inches on a small silver lure. White perch are great sport because they tend to school, strike agressively, and fight hard. I would like to return to fish this lake again this year, mainly because I have a girlfriend and 15 year old neice who both love to fish. I would like to get them into a spot with good numbers of decent sized fish. I am gussing that to tie into 15 or 16 inch fish you would need to fish the deeper waters of Wauklehegan; possibly the deep spot behind the first island you spoke of? I have a canoe, but wouldn't mind renting a boat and motor at the lake. Also, could you tell me the name of the lodge that is on the lake? Thanks for any help you might give.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The lodge is owned by Ronnie Painter. His phone number is 784-2938. He also has a camp he rents on the lake and I believe he has a boat he rents. The bigger perch are caught the last 2 weeks of May and many are still around into June. Perch close to 2 pounds are caught every year at this time. As the water warms up the bigger perch seem to disappear.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts