New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone fished it how is it for fishing and what species are all in it ? Good spot ?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
All kinds of smallies, no size to them though. Easiest spot is the rock on the side of the trail going past the lake.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks jim ! Trout smallies or jsut a wild variety of everything ?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
smallies are small mouth bass. i haven`t heard of any trout taken there lately but most people are using just bass gear, so there could be some. there are probably a ton of yellow perch too.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
perch are surprisingly tastey! i didn`t find this out untill about ten years ago, now i regret all those wasted yellow perch. fillette the 2 little backs straps, remove the skin side, dip dust or batter, then fry or deep fry - very good stuff. save a trout - eat a perch!

cook them well to kill any parasites. the rockwood park lakes have a lot of bird shot parasites. no problem if cooked but very annoying crunching them. candle the fillettes against a strong light, you will be able to see any parasites so you can cut them out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have also heard perch is very tasty pan fried im gonna try them this year.i have always thrw them back.i only keep trout a few times a year the rest i release.pickreal i eat early spring summer i find them to soft and mushy.i would assume the perch will be sane?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Surprising you said that i jsut had a taxi driver telll me perch are good in a batter to and even if yu fry them up? and Ive tossed probably 10 thousand of the suckers back in lily lake when it could have been a goood munch lol , i also caught hgue perch at bigger lakes upper grandbay way wonder if thier any good though ? thier size would probably dim the tastiness in them wouldn't it ? as trout do ?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i eat more jumbo perch than small ones, mostly because it takes fewer to make a meal and are easier to fillette. i find them as good as the smaller ones i guess. they don`t seem to go muchie with the warm weather like pickerel do (i give up on eating pickerel the first of june.)

i have heard of a trick to remove the scales and most of the skin. boil some water, dip the perch in for a moment and out, then quickly wipe them with cotton gloves - the scales stick with the gloves. i`ve never tried this but it makes sense.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hmm welll i think i might try my first perch next week or so lol

·
Registered
57 Posts
Had my first perch last year. My boss told me it was good, but I wasn't too sure. It was a mid summer perch out of warm water. I gilled it and it would have died anyway, so I gave it a go. Surprisingly good!....just used salt and pepper and pan fried it. I didn't even skin it, just scraped some scales off and peeled the skin off after it was cooked. Dad laughed at me until he gave it a try, then he didn't laugh anymore.......hahaha... Wasn't mushy like pickeral get at all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts