New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be heading up to Crawford for the first time in the upcoming weeks with a crew of guys I work/worked with. I was just wondering if the trail that follows the stretch is driveable with a truck or ATV or is it strictly a walking trail? I know this is one of the new camps does it have indoor plumbing like groundhog landing for example?

I have read all the old posts pertaining to Crawford but I was wondering if anyone had any tips or recommended flies? Or are there any reports from keeners who have been up on the Northwest Crown Reserves yet? I know there have been a few brights being caught further downriver. Thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
It's a good road all the way along... might be a tree down here and there but usually good... it's well travelled... most of the pools are just a stones throw from the road. Last time I was there brown bugs with glitter tail were the killer fly but I suspect that changes all the time.
Good luck and have fun.. it's a great stretch of water !

·
Registered
576 Posts
Crawford is the last Crown reserve camp up on that stretch. The next camp up is the Salmon Federation I believe and just up past that is the DNR site where they have the fish gates. I'd suggest going up and checking the fish gate area out. The DNR guys will take you for a tour around there no problemo and show you some nice trout and salmon that are waiting there to spawn. The fish are so thick there at times, you can almost walk across their backs... well maybe not but almost! lol

·
Registered
186 Posts
You can no longer get to the barrier via that road - they took out a bridge and you need to go around to the main road to get there now.
As its been mentioned - you can walk/drive along the road to all the pools...easy access to all pool - an ATV is not needed.
As for flies - its salmon fishing and who knows what is gonna work without really trying them!
Crown Reserves don't open I think till June 10th.

Good luck - you are headed to one of the best - a crown 'jewel' for sure!

·
Registered
298 Posts
We are going to be there June 14-16th
well I guess your a zombie now .. get some sleep !! take some spring salmon flies, incase of the water levels your probably gonna run into some sea run trout as well
Greenmachines will cover those puupies I few wholley buggers, to reach both I's fish an LT special #2 or 4 if water is high.
let us know how ya made out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We just got back from Crawford, and all I can say is what a beautiful stretch... The water levels were perfect, clear and ice cold. The camp was really nice and clean and the convenience of running water and generator were great.

As for the fishing, seeing this was a very early stretch date I felt we did very well. We mostly fished the camp pool and Bridge and made the hike into Alder run to see if we could get into any of the sea trout. We caught a good amount of average size brookies and the guys lost a few sea trout.

The highlight for me was catching my first bright grilse at bridge right before dark on the second day. It gave me a few air shows coming out of the water atleast 10 times and ran me to my backing once, very exciting and a moment I will never forget. We had another grilse on first thing the next morning although he was able to get away. The good news for anyone going up to the Northwest they are there and really active. There must of been atleast 10 different salmon break water at bridge the night I caught mine. Green machine with white tail and black bear green butt seemed to be the flies of choice. The only negative part of the trip was the flies, they were awful and mosquitos were almost unbearable making it hard to sleep or even sit outside by the fire pit, although thats the price you have to pay.

All and all a good trip, full of fond memories with some great buds, good food and fishing. Luckily one of my buddies was with me and got the fight all on video so hopefully I will be able to share some pictures and clips soon. If you have any questions send me a note and I will be glad to share whatever knowledge of the stretch I can.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts