New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
me my dad and 2 friends were picked for 3 days in mid july to fish the crawford pool,i didn't even know until he said we were goind today and i was wondering what flys would work. pictures would be good too. thanks

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hi Nick. I was at depot last year July 26-28th you'll drive right by that camp going into crawford. depending on the water levels make sure have have some different sizes 6,8, 10's if the water is gonna be high forcasting a heavey rain you might look at having some 4 or even 2's. I will give you the flies i used and hooked fish on last year if you go to the doaks web site and look at the flies all will be there. Green machine red and yellow butt no tail, undertaker, yellow wing butterfly and ally's shrimp ( the ally's hooked the biggest ) I did try some bommers but not luck with them but have them just incase.. I'm sure there are others that have suggestions as well split some flies up amongst your group throw everything ya got at them till you get a winner ..you'll enoy your trip i'm sure !

·
Registered
576 Posts
trust me, I've been to crawford 3 times... bring some Lt Specials!!!.. buy the ones at trout brook fly shop as they tie them differently than in town.. they work!! we get I'd say about 90% of our grilse on that fly..and hook the odd salmon on that stretch.. also bring some black woolly buggers. Bring an assortment of bombers, we get the odd fish on those too.. all the pools generally hold fish, we like the bridge pool, it's the one down below the camp between crawford camp and depot camp, it's the last pool on the crawford stretch. Alder run which is the most furthest up pool.. it's about a 15 minute walk in from where you park.. .. generally all the pools except alder run you can drive your vehicle too or at the least see the the river from where you park. The majority are less than a 5 minute walk... great stretch, generally great fishing too.. oh the crawford camp pool is a great pool too.. caught a lot of fish there and the black and white pool.. and flat rock and split rock are great pools too. at that time of the year if the conditions are good, you should experience some great fishing!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
To be honest - Crawford sucks...not worth paying for...throw'er back into the Mini draw!

Actually - it is probably worth keeping it for yourself this year - I got drawn for Depot - so no sense throwing it back into the mini draw!

·
Registered
576 Posts
the Lt special,I think if you google it you should be able to find.. you can buy them at eskape anglers but cut or pluck the green out of it.. the ones from trout brook fly shop are more orangey.. but i'm color blind so it could be any color really! lol but again buy them from trout brook fly shop.. you won't go wrong..

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
thanks Chadman. L.T. special: lots of orange and yellow with a little red krystal flash, leave out the in the green. gold body, orange butt, no tail.

nick, have fun. salmon fishing the Mirimachi is something special that most salmon fishers around the world only dream of.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We had Crawford last fall, nothing was taking, and fish were jumping every 2-3 minutes. Threw everything I had at them until I put on my Ally's Shrimp. I only had one on a #6 hook i believe. It was big I thaught for the water levels, boy was I wrong. Within 5 minutes hooked a salmon 32" bright and fiesty. 15 minutes after that, I hooked into a 30+lb, measured longer then our net at 42", after an hour tried to tail her and she bolted, tippet snapped with our groups only Ally shrimp left. All action we saw was at bridge pool. Good luck, we're at Elbow this year
)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts