New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys ive got thursday off next week and just wondering what the conditions are at public landing and victoria beach and how the fishing has been. I usually fish smelts on grand lake but with all the snow we`ve had its made it almost impossible to get out to the good enough spots to bother with and ive got a hankerin for some fried smelts. Ive never fished smelts in the river but have fished them a lot in the lake, im assuming baits ect are pretty similar, but what about depth , i usually fish them in the lake anywhere form a foot off bottom but have caught them right under the ice, seems to depend on the day also wondering is there any other spots on that side of the river worth checking out or anything else i should know before heading down

·
Registered
70 Posts
I used to fish at public landing quite a bit when i was younger. We always went just off of the old ferry landing warf or accross from the church where most of the shacks usually are.
Bait can be just about anything, check "ice fishing for smelt (tips? etc?)" post on the forum, lots of bait ideas.
We would alway have 3 hooks spaced a 8 or 12 inches apart, sinker on bottom, let out line to hit bottom, reel in a few times and there you go. have never caught anything up closer to the ice there, but have never tried either.
I always had the best luck there from low tide to high tide when the water is slack or moving up river. When water is flowing down stream i didn't seem to catch many, but generally they were a little bigger.

·
Registered
449 Posts
No shacks at victoria beach this year (poor ice) and ice is not great at public landing,lots of slush and this upcoming rain might put a quick end to it.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anywhere else on that side of the river or would i be better off going a little farther and going to renforth

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Well, if you're gonna go a little further and go to Renforth, keep going a little further still and go down Cameron Rd in Rothesay. We're apparently catching a lot more smelts there then they are in Renforth. Pretty much all the shacks are above 14 feet of water. Most smelts are hitting just off the bottom, but a lot are being caught on the surface as well during the day time. Pretty much anything is working for bait, from red licorice, roast beef, bacon, corn kernels, shrimp, and cut up smelt. (the best two are the shrimp and cut up smelt). Use very small hooks (nothing bigger then #8). There are lots and lots of folks fishing w/o shacks too, and are catching lots of smelts.

·
Registered
54 Posts
we fishep public landing, there was lots of ice the first 6-8 inches was frozen slush the last 8 inches was good hard clear ice.. we caught bout 1 dozen smelts ont the ougoing tide..

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info, think im gonna head to cameron road, its actually closer the way im planning on going, gonna take the route through cambridge narrows and hampton ect, my gf is going with me and she has never been through that way before..whats the best time to fish there, im assuming on the rising tide...we`re gonna try to be there by7-730, high tide is around noon i think, would like to stay the whole day but if the bite isnt great as the tide drops i might just head up and fish somewhere along teh way home

·
2,366 Posts
You'll find they come in waves, and I'm not sure how the tide effects it. For example, we usually start fishing at around 1pm, and it's good then until around 2'ish, then slows right down. Then picks up again around 3'ish, good for an hour and a half or so, then dies down. Then picks up again an hour or two later, etc, etc, etc.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info guys, we went to Cameron rd yesterday, we fished from 930 until 330 and had an amazing day, we ended up landing 167 smelt, def the best day ive had, we got 90% of them on raw shrimp and smelt eyes, couple on licorice and a couple on roast beef. Most were small but we got around 30 that were 9in or biugger wiht one real big 12 incher my gf nailed the first 10 minutes before i was even rigged up. She was having really good luck getting the bigger ones on a small jigging spoon we usually use for perch tipped wiht either shrimp or smelt eyes They seemed to be biting steady all day but they really peaked from 1230 until about 2, we will def be making another trip down soon...maybe next time ill do some visiting and meet a few members

·
Registered
315 Posts
Guys just a friendly reminder the limit on smelt is 60 ( it was last year anyway ) the law was often out checking shacks last year and I assume they will be out again this year ...,

·
Registered
315 Posts
How much ice is at Cameron rd ???

·
2,366 Posts
How much ice is at Cameron rd ???
Not sure, but as of today there were no shacks there nor at Renforth, however I bet they will start popping up at both places this weekend. Fisher Lake had 12" today, so I'm guessing Cameron should have at least 8" by now. Last year at Cameron there wasn't any ice at all, and there wasn't 8" until January 15th, and by the 20th there was 10".

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey I Fish. I hit Public Landing yesterday. A couple of shacks out there. Fishing wasn't great, I only caught a dozen smelt, but at least I wasn't at work.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I fished Public Landing both Sat and Sun last weekend. By Sunday it was "balmy". Ice was thinning. Fishing wasn't great. Planning to go tomorrow with my brother (Jan 19th) at Victoria Beach this time. Ice should be good after cold weather this week. Calling for snow (5cm). Any views/experience to share on fishing during a snowfall?

·
Registered
449 Posts
be careful at victoria beach,it didnt freeze good last year,dont think there were any shacks out there last year,not early at least.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks, maybe I am confusing the location of Victoria Beach. The place i am referring is down river from Public Landing Wharf by about 500 yards; across from the church

1 - 20 of 30 Posts