New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have not got the chance to take out my fly rod in Notre-Dame on the cocagne yet. I was going to go with my fly and spinning rods today, but plans changed. Has anyone had any luck there or anywhere on the river yet this year?

Does anyone know what flies are doing the job this year? or what spoons/spinners/baits?
I know the fish are doing well in my secret trout spot as I have caught a few nice ones and so have my friends. We have already pullled out about 2 2 pounders this year, So im just getting curious about the cocagne.

Any info Would be nice!

Thanks everyone! Any tips or spots on this river would be nice because Im very inesperienced with the cocagne River Watersystem as Im only 15 and fished this river only around 5 times last year. I know my stuff when It somes to fishing, just not alot about this river and the "honey Holes" on it.

Thanks again, Trenton

"Fishing is good, Catching is better, The Journey is the Best"

·
Registered
67 Posts
you should maybe put the time in on the rivers you want to fish. By putting time into it you will eventualy answer your questions!

·
Banned
97 Posts
you should maybe put the time in on the rivers you want to fish. By putting time into it you will eventualy answer your questions!
I agree with drunktoad. I doubt you are going to share your secret spot right? You will learn that people don't give up their good spots. In fact a lot of the time if you mention a certain spot and it is a good spot people are nervous that everyone will end up there and are likely not to respond at all!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Agreed...the best tip I have for the Cocagne river is please practice some catch and release...that river has so much potential to be an incredible trout fishery if everyone and their dog didn't kill every $#@[email protected]! fish that comes to the net...

·
Registered
67 Posts
i agree with flyfisherman! personaly, i would love to see a stretch of it being CnR or a strech being fly fishing only.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agreed...the best tip I have for the Cocagne river is please practice some catch and release...that river has so much potential to be an incredible trout fishery if everyone and their dog didn't kill every $#@[email protected]! fish that comes to the net...
Hey!, I was there today, caught 2 trout, one about 8 inches and the other being about 10 or 11. I released both of them and handled them with wet hands. My friend caught one when he was letting his rod sit in a rod holder but the trout swalloed the hook. The hook was too deep down his mouth to put him back in, (practically in his belly) so we had to keep that one as it would surely die. Other than that, we had a good day and CNR on all my fish. I totally agree with you, That river would be nice if it was CNR. Fly Fishing would be a good thing to have on certain stretches too! Maybe notify the DNR and they will keep it in mind for next season!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hey!, I was there today, caught 2 trout, one about 8 inches and the other being about 10 or 11. I released both of them and handled them with wet hands. My friend caught one when he was letting his rod sit in a rod holder but the trout swalloed the hook. The hook was too deep down his mouth to put him back in, (practically in his belly) so we had to keep that one as it would surely die. Other than that, we had a good day and CNR on all my fish. I totally agree with you, That river would be nice if it was CNR. Fly Fishing would be a good thing to have on certain stretches too! Maybe notify the DNR and they will keep it in mind for next season!
Were you fly fishing at the end or with baits?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Were you fly fishing at the end or with baits?
I did a mix of fly fishing and baits. My Friend just used worm and spinner. We were there from around 8 till 2 and I think at the end I was using baits. Didnt even get a hit on my fly rod, Used Muddler minnow and mickey finn as well as a few others. I seen a guy hook in to a really nice one though. Looked to be about 20inches or more but it flopped off before he got it in

·
Registered
395 Posts
I did a mix of fly fishing and baits. My Friend just used worm and spinner. We were there from around 8 till 2 and I think at the end I was using baits. Didnt even get a hit on my fly rod, Used Muddler minnow and mickey finn as well as a few others. I seen a guy hook in to a really nice one though. Looked to be about 20inches or more but it flopped off before he got it in
It could have been a trout, but also a little black salmon at this time of year in that river

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It could have been a trout, but also a little black salmon at this time of year in that river
it was 100% a trout. I seen it jump and he was not far away from me and we both seen that it was a trout. I also hooked in to a trout at a secret creek i fish at that was about 20 inches today as well. The creek is about 6 feet wide and it jumped about 3 feet from shore maybe 2 or so feet in the air it looked about that size and when it went back in the water after the jump, he unhooked himself
More reason to believe about his trout. I caught a 14 incher and am heading back some time this week to see if i can catch another big one. Maybe ill try Notre-Dame again soon too.

·
Registered
395 Posts
it was 100% a trout. I seen it jump and he was not far away from me and we both seen that it was a trout. I also hooked in to a trout at a secret creek i fish at that was about 20 inches today as well. The creek is about 6 feet wide and it jumped about 3 feet from shore maybe 2 or so feet in the air it looked about that size and when it went back in the water after the jump, he unhooked himself
More reason to believe about his trout. I caught a 14 incher and am heading back some time this week to see if i can catch another big one. Maybe ill try Notre-Dame again soon too.
Ok, I was planning to go at Notre Dame as well, but the forecast for the next 3 days aren't good this week I think, maybe this weekend.. good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts