New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last winter, while ice fishing at Renforth in some friends' shack, a stranger walked in and hung around with us for a while, giving tips and advice. One thing he showed us was a quick and easy way to clean smelts, and he did something which caused the whole spine and ribs to come right off effortlessly. The problem is, we were all kind of tipsy at the time and none of us can remember that trick.
Does anybody on here know how to do that?

Oh, and it wasn't until after he left that we all realized that nobody knew who he was. We all assumed he was somebody in the shack's friend. Lol!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I didn't know there was a way that took the spine and ribs right out. We always just cut off the heads and gutted them, then once they were cooked the flesh would pretty well just peel right away from the bones on either side

·
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't know there was a way that took the spine and ribs right out. We always just cut off the heads and gutted them, then once they were cooked the flesh would pretty well just peel right away from the bones on either side
I agree: we also just cut the head and split the belly open to gut it, then the spine and ribs came right out once it was cooked. But this guy did a couple of cuts, then when he pulled the head back, all the guts, spine, and bones came right off and he was left with nothing but meat. Hopefully this fella will show up again this winter!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just how many beer did you guys have before you saw the guy pull off the cleaning trick and then disappear into the unknown? Sure it wasn't the ghost of the frozen fisherman? LOL

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i believe it's called the frog method. i use a variation to pop the spine out after i have cooked them, but i haven't used it to clean them, although like you guys, i have seen it a couple times. basicly cut to the spine on either side just behind the gills, then slice the belly. now with the smelt belly facing towards you, spread the ribs wide, grab the head and pull out the head, guts, spine and rib cage. works best on smaller smelts. when i do it after they are cooked, i just spread the ribs wide (think flat or close to it, to losen things up, like a rabbit!), then take the spine and peel it out through the stomache opening. a little messy but no wasted meat.

·
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i believe it's called the frog method. i use a variation to pop the spine out after i have cooked them, but i haven't used it to clean them, although like you guys, i have seen it a couple times. basicly cut to the spine on either side just behind the gills, then slice the belly. now with the smelt belly facing towards you, spread the ribs wide, grab the head and pull out the head, guts, spine and rib cage. works best on smaller smelts. when i do it after they are cooked, i just spread the ribs wide (think flat or close to it, to losen things up, like a rabbit!), then take the spine and peel it out through the stomache opening. a little messy but no wasted meat.
Yep! that's pretty much how it happened! It was cool to say the least! And Well Hooked, as a matter of fact, to this day we refer to him as "the Indian Spirit guy", as he had long hair in a pony tail and had some native features.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yep! that's pretty much how it happened! It was cool to say the least! And Well Hooked, as a matter of fact, to this day we refer to him as "the Indian Spirit guy", as he had long hair in a pony tail and had some native features.
I think you guys have way to much time on your hands,All we ever did was once their fried ,the small ones get et bones and all.The big ones, just peel the backbone out and enjoy. All this fancy stuff can be put off still Striper Season!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
gmac, this is a cleaning method, i just happen to also use it to remove the backbone. don't you clean yours? i've heard of some who don't, draper tried it 2 years ago - he didn't like the results, but his father swears by it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
gmac, this is a cleaning method, i just happen to also use it to remove the backbone. don't you clean yours? i've heard of some who don't, draper tried it 2 years ago - he didn't like the results, but his father swears by it.
Yeah, I clean mine,one slice takes the head and most of the guts out ,Rince under cold water and you'r done.Some people like to scrape out the blood line but on the smaller ones I don't bother.In the larger ones the backbone peels out like a trout anyway.Some people hate bones,so go for it,I'd rather spend my time fishing the little buggers!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i mostly clean them like you do, when i have a lot of them, i use scissors. i'm hoping to use the scissors soon!

·
Registered
357 Posts
i mostly clean them like you do, when i have a lot of them, i use scissors. i'm hoping to use the scissors soon!
Was out to Cameron Rd. today,caught about 3 doz.,only kept a dozen and a half decent ones for supper. !One More shack put out today.It's starting!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts