New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone.

You may have noticed that people on these fishing forums have been posting all excited about kayak fishing. Well if you were at all interested in checking out the sport or meeting guys that do this as their main fishing system then here is your chance. These events are open to all paddlers. Doesn't matter what you paddle. Rubber duck, canoe or float tube.

We are full of prizes and will be giving away the main prizes through a draw system in order to eliminate local domination. All 3 events have a top prize of an Ocean Kayak Fishing Sit on top that will be drawn from the participants.

Canadian Kayak Angler's and locals from across the country are bringing you the CKA Cross Canada Tour. We have 3 Maritime stops.

Click for Details Nova Scotia Spring Smallie Slam
Held just outside Weymouth, NS on the April 30th weekend. Free Camping, Big Prizes and only 30$ to enter.

Click for Details Hammond River Classic
Held at the Hammond River Angling Association - July 16th & 17th
2nd annual event. Music, drinks, free camping and only $30 to enter

Click for Details NB Paddler's Fishing Derby
Held at Sunbury-Oromocto park, French Lake , NB June 11th & 12th
$30 entry fee, Great family weekend

For other details www.CanadianKayakAnglers.com

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hey Everyone.

You may have noticed that people on these fishing forums have been posting all excited about kayak fishing. Well if you were at all interested in checking out the sport or meeting guys that do this as their main fishing system then here is your chance. These events are open to all paddlers. Doesn't matter what you paddle. Rubber duck, canoe or float tube.

We are full of prizes and will be giving away the main prizes through a draw system in order to eliminate local domination. All 3 events have a top prize of an Ocean Kayak Fishing Sit on top that will be drawn from the participants.

Canadian Kayak Angler's and locals from across the country are bringing you the CKA Cross Canada Tour. We have 3 Maritime stops.

Held just outside Weymouth, NS on the April 30th weekend. Free Camping, Big Prizes and only 30$ to enter.

is the camping over night?

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Yes, the camping is overnight, but not mandatory. The $30 per person covers everything. The camping is free on-site at the HRAA. You can either pre-register here http://www.xkfx.ca/2...d_river_classic. Or, for the Hammond River Classic you can call the Hammond River Angling Association and pay by credit card, or you can pay on-site the day of the tourney, however we try to encourage people to pre-register as we need to know how many people will be present (for sign-up swag and what not).

Also, as Bob mentionned, the kayak to be drawn will be a brand-new Ocean Kayak Trident 13 for each tournament circuit.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For the NB Paddler's Fishing Derby, the event is taking place at the Sunbury-Oromocto park. If you stay there you have a choice of getting a regular campsite at their regular prices, or you can pitch a tent on a grassy field designated for the tournament at $10/tent for the night. The park has all the basic amenities; washroom, convenience store, playground for kids, beach, etc.

It is not mandatory to stay at the park. In fact, the 'fishing' part of the tournament will Sunday only. Saturday will be for registration, social, possibly a used fishing/kayaking swap/marketplace, a chance to get to pre-fish the waters, possibly check out some kayak demos. etc.

One correction regarding the kayak; for the Paddler's Derby only, the kayak for the draw will be an Ocean Kayak Peek-A-Boo kayak.

·
Registered
144 Posts
For the NB Paddler's Fishing Derby, the event is taking place at the Sunbury-Oromocto park. If you stay there you have a choice of getting a regular campsite at their regular prices, or you can pitch a tent on a grassy field designated for the tournament at $10/tent for the night. The park has all the basic amenities; washroom, convenience store, playground for kids, beach, etc.

It is not mandatory to stay at the park. In fact, the 'fishing' part of the tournament will Sunday only. Saturday will be for registration, social, possibly a used fishing/kayaking swap/marketplace, a chance to get to pre-fish the waters, possibly check out some kayak demos. etc.

One correction regarding the kayak; for the Paddler's Derby only, the kayak for the draw will be an Ocean Kayak Peek-A-Boo kayak.
stroover Sorry for asking so many questions
but you mentioned 30$ per person and me and my dad are going in the cometition but my mo might come and watch, not in the tourney but does she have to pay 30$ too?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey Everyone.

Can you register at the doo r again like last year.

·
2,366 Posts
stroover Sorry for asking so many questions
but you mentioned 30$ per person and me and my dad are going in the cometition but my mo might come and watch, not in the tourney but does she have to pay 30$ too?
What do you mean by "watch"? If she'll be in the boat with you, then she would technically have to pay, yeah. She doesn't need to pay to hang out at the HRAA or watch you guys fish from shore of from her own kayak.

·
2,366 Posts
@Hammondriver: yes, you can still register at the door again like last year, but we prefer that people register online or by phone to the HRAA ahead of time. It helps us with planning (for example, we're trying to get a sign-up swag bag for each participant, but for that we need to know as close as possible how many people we can expect prior to hitting up sponsors).

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Regarding the Ns Smallmouth tourney it shows like 4 lakes for the hotspots maps is it all one lake or what ?
While I have not been to the spot before, I have been told that the 4 lakes are all connected, and you can easily paddle from one to another. The overview map doesn't really show the connections, but if you look at them on Google Maps you can see the connections between them.

We are hoping a bunch of us can get to all 3 of the events in the region.

Bob

·
2,366 Posts
Like Bob said, we're trying to organize a caravan and all go down to the NS one, as well as the two in NB. We're looking at the possibility of taking the ferry accross to Digby via Saint John. We'll post here once we get something figured out.

Here is the ferry price list: http://www.acadiaferry.com/schedule-and-fares/fares-and-pricing/
It looks a little expensive, though. We'll see. Maybe we could take the ferry one way and drive the other or something.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i lose my job at the end of april, so i will be able to make the ns tourney...! since i didn't really expect to make it, i'll have to check out the info they have. it will be hard to fish ns for smallies...no 6# smallies there...lol! and i almost never go for smallies that early (i'll miss a miramichie weekend fro it, but since i'll have some time...and i may as well check the job situation out down there at the same time...!

nick, if your mom needs to borrow a yak, i may be able to lend her one by then.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i'll confess, i don't think much of how the prizes will be given out apparently works. a draw for the top prizes to cancel out the local advantage also elimates local interest. already 2 people i've talked to have desided not to came for this reason. another says he'll come but probabley not even bother putting the boat in the water - why when it makes no differance. these are now meets, not tournies.

one reason people go to tournies is the challenge and competition. locals to the area should have the advantage, their challenge is if they can take advatage of it or not to compete with the more experienced anglers from further away, and to learn from them while they do it. the anglers from further away have to step up their game to try to put them in the boat like they do on their home waters. the thought of winning the competition and not takeing the top prize? that's not something to look forward too.

i think you should look at this again guys.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i don't know why i didn't catch it untill now, but those are not tidal lakes are they? so we will need ns licenses for this. also, just a heads up, but ns only allows 2 treble hooks per lure if i remember right.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@ipop... Thanks so much for bringing this up! A very good question and concern.

It is true that we are planning on a lottery for the kayaks. It is also likely true that this spreads the chance of winning the kayak more evenly across the playing field, effectively increasing the odds for those new to the sport and/or area, and decreasing the chances for the small group of hard core experienced local entrants. However, the kayak is not the only prize. There will be a great prizes for those who win, or do well.

You were at the Hammond River tournament last year, so you should recall that the 2nd prize was an extremely good prize. I know there were a few people who said if they had won the event, they might have taken the '2nd' prize over the kayak. I hope you would agree with me that the second prize alone last year would have been worth competing for.

What you also might not know is that winning the tournament will increase your odds of winning the kayak because you will also win extra tickets for the kayak draw. Think about that for a second. Someone who enters the tournaments and does well will not only win a great prize for the tournament, they will also have an increased chance of winning the kayak! That sounds more like win-win to me.

I hope this makes sense and alleviates some of your concerns over the prizes.

BobD

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@ipop.. regarding the lakes for the NS Smallie Slam, I believe they are NOT tidal waters, so you would need a license. I will double check though, just to be sure.

The NS government last year offered some 1 day licenses, and I believe some 1 week licenses. Hopefully they will be doing the same this year.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@ipop... I checked, and the lakes are not in tidal water. That means you need to get a license to legally fish during the tournament. I checked the 2010 NS regulations and came up with this info on licenses. It might very well be different when the 2011 rules are published, but this is all we have to go on right now.

• Non-resident (Seasonal) $59.57
• Non-resident (7- day) $32.58
• 1-Day (resident and non-resident) $13.07

If you can get back to back 1 day licenses that would be the cheapest route for fishing both Saturday and Sunday. You can camp there for free, so that helps make it more affordable.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
BobD , good to hear there are some other major prizes, and i was one of the ones that was looking to pick something else as my top prize last year (i make kayaks after all). it's the locals that only fish from yak's and canoes some times that were most upset with this. these same people are not going to travel far to a tourney, and i can see it being attractive to newbies, so i guess i can see why you are doing it. it does however drop the competition level from their point of view, and i guess i can agree with that too (yup, i'm on both sides of this - lol!) maybe you could post some of the other prizes?

thanks for all the info too!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i almost never fish smallies pre spawn. this tourney in ns is going to be a challenge. i would go down a couple days earlier but have to be in sj on the 29th, maybe i'll head down then. no practise lake fishing here before hand - the lakes aren't open by then here.

i'm planing on taking a heater for the tent - camping on april 30th - brrrrr! (i thought of taking down the portable ice fishing shack!!!)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts