New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got off the phone with a rep. from the clerk's office in Saint John concerning the legality of fishing Spruce Lake.As mentioned before, I contacted the Dept.of Nat. Resources and was told there are no regulations in their books as far as fishing Spruce Lake is concerned, but they advised me to check with the City of Saint John for any by-laws regarding this issue.This is the City's official stance on the subject.While there are no by-laws on the books preventing fishing Spruce Lake,the City does own 99% of the land bordering the lake and will evict you if they catch you on their property.The main problem in the City's eyes isn't so much fishing the lake as it is the pollution they are finding along the watershed.They had a clean up recently along the lake's surrounding boundrys and literally picked up tons of junk ranging fron roofing material to car parts in only a four hour period.And while I argued that it wasn't fishermen leaving that kind of junk around,it boils down to public access to the water shed.The more people use it,the more pollution is going to be left behind,and if someone sees another person fishing the lake,it's like an open invitation to others who may not be as tidy as the rest of us.The City only has so much money in the budget for cleanup and as far as they are concerned, the less people around the lake the better,and if you are on the lake you would have either crossed on City property or on someone elses property to get there. So in other words,THEY WOULD PREFER YOU TO "stay away".

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm not really aurprised by their answer. People are very disrespectful when it comes to dumping garbage and quite careless. Unfortunately, they don't see any difference between fishermen and anybody else. I've done a bit of work around and in protected watersheds and if you don't know what rights the city has, as to users, it's pretty difficult to understand. Here's a link that kind of clarifies the laws concerning watersheds. It's not the best read in the world but it does tell you what is allowed.

http://www.gnb.ca/0009/0371/0004/watershed-e.pdf

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
So if you are on the lake, you are not on their property, so if you get someone to drop you off with a canoe, once you are in the water you are good to go and then have someone pick you up when you have finished for the day

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So if you are on the lake, you are not on their property, so if you get someone to drop you off with a canoe, once you are in the water you are good to go and then have someone pick you up when you have finished for the day
It's like the lady said,you either have to to trespas on City property or someone elses to get on or off the lake.You have to ask yourself,is it worth the hassel?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Actually, along the highway there is an old rail line which is within the boundaries of the provincial highway. Provincial highways are considered Crown Lands. I think I'd check about getting access there. Once on the lake it is considered in the A class of protected areas and you can use a canoe, kayak or any non-motorized boat in this area. The city would probably argue this but I doubt it. I've saw many fishermen along the old rail line which is inside the high water mark. I believe the rail line used to run from Fairville and was owned by CPRail but is now owned by N.B. Southern Railroad. (Irving)

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Actually, along the highway there is an old rail line which is within the boundaries of the provincial highway. Provincial highways are considered Crown Lands. I think I'd check about getting access there. Once on the lake it is considered in the A class of protected areas and you can use a canoe, kayak or any non-motorized boat in this area. The city would probably argue this but I doubt it. I've saw many fishermen along the old rail line which is inside the high water mark. I believe the rail line used to run from Fairville and was owned by CPRail but is now owned by N.B. Southern Railroad. (Irving)
Gmac, you're right, is it worth the hassle. Plenty of other good fishing spots around without any hassles.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Gmac, you're right, is it worth the hassle. Plenty of other good fishing spots around without any hassles.
As far as I have known is that all rail lines are private property. So, if you cross the rail line, you are also trespassing. I bet if you contact your ward rep for SJ and tell them that if they open up a park where you can launch your canoe or non motorized craft, park, eat lunch and pay $10 fee for a day pass and/or X amount for a season pass, they would be tickled pink with the idea and maybe set it in motion. A great way to bring in income for the city, boost recreation and benefit fishermen and canoeists and yakkers.

·
Registered
357 Posts
As far as I have known is that all rail lines are private property. So, if you cross the rail line, you are also trespassing. I bet if you contact your ward rep for SJ and tell them that if they open up a park where you can launch your canoe or non motorized craft, park, eat lunch and pay $10 fee for a day pass and/or X amount for a season pass, they would be tickled pink with the idea and maybe set it in motion. A great way to bring in income for the city, boost recreation and benefit fishermen and canoeists and yakkers.
Actually,I suggested that idea about the boat ramp to the person I was speaking to and she wasn't impressed. Most of the garbage they collected certainly wasn't from the ordinary person out for a Sunday drive.I suggested that we could be the eyes and ears for the City,we don't like to see a prime rec.area trashed any more then they do,but, unfortunately it fell on deaf ears.She went on to say that they were even trying to get the govt. to re route the road leading out to Barnsville away from LocLomond Lake to avoid the public involvement with the lake.They are buying up as many old camps as they can along the lake and even mentioned the concern they had over the impact that the airport has on the watershed in the lake.So the way it looks to me,it will only be a matter of time that we won't even be able to fish LocLomond anymore,so maybe we should enjoy it while we can and not worry about Spruce Lake.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Here is a prime example of missing the big picture, You have a watershed which your worried about pollution from objects and garbage (which really are more eyesores then anything) as a citizen of the West Side SaintJohn it bothers me that their is a Very Busy Highway running right beside Spruce Lake, Its disturbing to me the amount of oils and rubber from cars and trucks gets washed into the lake every time it rains. Which is why i fill my water jugs out country and haul them back in town for my water cooler.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sounds like a bunch of bull to me. There are more than "camps" on first and second lakes..there are very nice expensive homes..dozens of them. I even saw some people fixing and renovating some camps on second lake. Rerouting the road away form the lake..lol..what about the hundreds of homes and people living there?...haha another line of BS... People have been living,fishing and boating on those lakes for years and never a word said about "polluting" the watershed.They tried to ban boats and it didn't go well. There is either more to Spruce Lake than meets the eye if they are telling you that....or, most likley, they are just making excuses because they have no answers. You can talk to someone else with the city and get a different answer. I will fish Spruce Lake as all ways and, as all ways, if someone tells me to leave....I say no and continue fishing. There is no written law stating you cannot be on city land or the lake. If that was the case, there are a lot of places within city limits that would be off limits.

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Sounds like a bunch of bull to me. There are more than "camps" on first and second lakes..there are very nice expensive homes..dozens of them. I even saw some people fixing and renovating some camps on second lake. Rerouting the road away form the lake..lol..what about the hundreds of homes and people living there?...haha another line of BS... People have been living,fishing and boating on those lakes for years and never a word said about "polluting" the watershed.They tried to ban boats and it didn't go well. There is either more to Spruce Lake than meets the eye if they are telling you that....or, most likley, they are just making excuses because they have no answers. You can talk to someone else with the city and get a different answer. I will fish Spruce Lake as all ways and, as all ways, if someone tells me to leave....I say no and continue fishing. There is no written law stating you cannot be on city land or the lake. If that was the case, there are a lot of places within city limits that would be off limits.
Noelco, do you fish Spruce Lake from shore or by boat? If by boat, where do you put in? Could you put your canoe in from along the highway, off the old rail road that hugs the shore line?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Noelco, do you fish Spruce Lake from shore or by boat? If by boat, where do you put in? Could you put your canoe in from along the highway, off the old rail road that hugs the shore line?
Stroover, there is a spot on the highway where one of the white wooden post is missing and you can drive through and to the lake. It is just as you think you are passing the lake.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know this thread has been "dead" for a long time now, but seeing so many posts about Spruce lake and Ludgate lake on various sites, including this one, I decided to shoot off an email to the operations manager for the Saint John water resources and quality department about it.

This is what was sent to me;

Hi Mr. Melvin,

Please find attached a copy of the Clean Water Act for the Province of New Brunswick.

For Zone A, which is the water itself, it states in Section 5(1)(b) that a person may undertake boating and fishing, if any watercraft used is non-motorized.

Please note that other limitations may exist, such as for fishing and for trespassing.

Some people say they in fact do fish or have fished from non-motorized watercraft there, so I'm wondering if anyone still does?

I notice on maps of the area that the Spruce lake trail runs between the lakes and the highway...is this trail new, and could it be used as an access point for a small boat? I've never even heard of this trail before yesterday.

The city has made this as confusing as possible. lol

·
Registered
283 Posts
That response from the City does very little to clarify their position. Its like saying...yes you can fish...but you might be trespassing.

·
2,366 Posts
By the sounds of it, what's the worse that can happen? They ask you to leave, and you leave.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have been fishing spruce lake for 20 or more years and the only thing on the lake is a bylaw against motors and they will try to get you for leaving you car on the hi-way. i fought with a saint john city cop about fishing it out of my belly boat.. And i want him to show me a written document stating that i wasnt aloud to fish there..I show him the clean water act states no motors and again he told me that it is saint john drinking water and i cant fish there. I ask well you can give me i ticket cause i am not going anywhere.. It i pretty bad when father and son can go out and have a good time enjoying nature ,but anyone can go buy drugs or watch everyone drive down the road on there cell phones. and the cops are bugging the fishermen i think there is better thing for them to be doing.. That was 10 years ago and i gave the cop my name and number, email and told him if you find anything out, or that i was break any laws, i will go to jail for doing what i love to do.As far as trespassing that trail is a public walking and biking trail so where do you suppost there going to park????

ahhh had to vent......

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have fished spruce lake as a kid, we always fished from shore and accessed this by bicycle. The old rail bed is now part of the Sentier New Brunswick trail system. This can easily be accessed from the dead end of Ocean Westway, off of the King William Rd. It would be approximately a 300 yd walk to an area suitable to launch a canoe or kayak and you would not be hassled for parking on the highway. I would suggest one upping the cities concerns for pollution by not only taking out anything you bring in but also picking up anything you see along the way. If they see no negative results of us being there, they are less likely to complain.

·
Registered
981 Posts
The conversation might not be very timely right now, considering the lake is illegal to fish from now until May of next year.. :)

Just a heads-up that the lake is becoming a known spot (I've seen up to four boats on it, including mine) and I've not heard ANYONE being bothered by anybody official except the mosquitos.

Fishers are generally respectful except there are ATV access trails at the very far end that apparently bring in a less savory crowd and I've brought out at least a twelvepack of other people's cans over time. Saddening that you can usually spot the glint of metal in what is otherwise normally a very pristine spot.

·
2,366 Posts
A while back there was a thread going where the topic of "accessability" to some stocked lakes in regards to fishing said lakes was being discussed, and how it seemed unfair that some lakes were stocked to nobody's benefit but to a selected few who had cottages and what not on these lakes and owned all the land around them, thus leaving no public access. I can't remember where that was, nor can I find it, so I'm going to post it in here since it's kind of along those same lines.

I've been going back and forth with DNR about this, and it finally seems that they're looking into it. If more people hold them accountable about this and gripe to them, maybe they'll pick up the pace a little and git 'er done sooner.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts