New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was lucky agian this year to get drawn for charlie's rock and was wondering if anyone knows if we are going to be able to keep a fish or two this year or is the river still just catch and release?

·
Registered
125 Posts
We just got back from Charlie's Rock (July 2-4). I heard that it will be catch and release only, beginning July 6th. Best of luck fishing!

·
Registered
125 Posts
The fishing wasn't too bad, better than the people before us. Water was a little high and made it hard to get into the pools. Landed 1 salmon and 2 grilse. Hooked and lost 6 salmon and 2 grilse. Hot flies for us were; white-tailed green machines, belly dancers, green butt butterflies. We had better luck on no#4 hooks the first two days but on the last morning a no#6 belly dancer was the answer. The best pools for us were long pond pool and Charlie's Rock pool, never had any luck else wheres. If you have anymore questions, I would be more than happy to try and answer them for you. Until then, Good luck fishing! Hope you land the big one!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Good Day Gents Was just up to the Crown Reserve last weekend, 22-24 July we stayed at Loggie Lodge (don't get too excited it doesn't even have room service). We fished the Charlie's Rock Stretch of the Little Southwest Miramichi river. The trip started out with two of our party quitting before we left as a result of the variation order making that location C+R only. One guy pulled out less than 24 hours in advance, anyway cry me a river. I'm not scrapping my trip to prime salmon water, you pay your money and you take your chances. We arrived a bit late due to a few small trailor problems but it was raining off and on that afternoon anyway. So by the time that we got to the cabin the rain had stopped and headed down fishing around 4PM. The cabin is located high on a hillside overlooking the Little Southwest Miramichi(Little is a relative term, it is smaller than the main southwest Miramichi) and close to the North Pole Stream (really a river). So as a result you have to cross the North Pole stream and then walk down a well worn path to get to the best salmon pools, Long Pond Pool and Charlie's Rock Pool. There is a boat tethered onto a cable making a ferry affair to get across the deadwater on the NP Stream. First day we saw a few jump but no takers. This was my first time fishing that water so this is only a guess but I would say that the water level was 1-2 feet higher than normal summer conditions. Day two saw us hook three grilse and land two of them. Seemed to be quite a few smaller trout streaking out of the shadows and smacking your fly only to realize that it's a bit much for them and then they let go. It is a difficult location to fish as there are many boulders in the river of various sizes and thick bushes along the rest of the bank. This is rugged country with many steep hillsides, in places it is so rocky the trees are sparse and stunted. Around suppertime a big storm blew through with a wall of black clouds descending on the cabin and inundating the river with rain, sheets of rain and wind. We didn't see any twisters but it looked pretty ominous for a while. Day three saw us land one grilse under the hot sun. On the drive out of the woods we saw many trees down some snapped off half way, looked to be a result of a microburst (severe after effects of a T+L storm). So we had a great trip and did pretty good for the water being so high.

Bill G.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Bill. We were the next group in. Nice chating with you and Laurie before you left. Weather was great for us. We mostly fished the Long Pond & Charlie's Rock pools. One of the guys fished the pools above the camp one day but no luck. We landed 6 grilse in total. Hooked 10 fish in all. Water did seem high, but fishable. Very nice camp...lots of room. I would recommend to anyone. Hope I'm lucky enough to get back next year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts