New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided on Sunday to hit salt water instead of my regular trout fishing areas.

Instead of catching fish, we were catching tons of crabs. Tried multiple baits hoping to land a big one...but the crabs kept biting! lol Made for an interesting afternoon! Hoping next time we go back we catch something other than crabs!
Is there any bait that crabs don't like...but the fish might go after?

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Where were you fishing, and what were you fishing for? Depending on what you were fishing for, the general rule is if you're catching crabs, you're fishing too deep.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where were you fishing, and what were you fishing for? Depending on what you were fishing for, the general rule is if you're catching crabs, you're fishing too deep.
We were on our way out from Munsens in Cape Enrage...had been fishing trout. Decided to stop by the ol Bailey Bridge in Cape Enrage for fun. We weren't actually planning on fishing anything other than trout that day...but had bait with me that we use for stripers.

The water near the bank was crystal clear....& loaded with crab.

All in all it was a great day fishing at Livingston, Munsens & by the ol Bailey Bridge. Next time I head to Cape Enrage I'll try to be a bit more prepared to fish something other than trout & crab! haha

·
2,366 Posts
@4everFishn: Yeah, as far as I know and unless the rules have changed over the years, you can keep the rock crabs. I guess they call them the peekytoe crab now. They're very good eating, however there isn't a whole lot of meat on them.

·
2,366 Posts
Ok! That's it, that's all! Now I wanna go rock crabbing this weekend and have a crab boil!
Exactly how many crabs did you guys catch? Like a 5-gallon bucket full? What were you using for bait?

I haven't done it in ages, but we used to tie chicken necks to twine and throw the line out. when the lines were being tugged, we'd slowly pull them in then scoop the crabs with nets. These were blue crabs in the golf of Mexico, but it might work for rock crabs too. I only ever ate rock crabs once, and they were absolutely delicious, but a lot of work for little meat...

In case you're wondering what's a crab boil, here's how to have yourself an authentic Louisiana Cajun crab boil:
First, get yourself at least two douzen crabs. Then bring a big pot with enough water to cover the crabs to a boil. **If you can get your hands on either Louisiana Crab Boil or Zataran's Crab Boil (powdered mixes that you add to the water), put in a bag of the stuff and then just throw in the crabs once water boils. Otherwise, you want to add the following to the water BEFORE you add the crabs:
-1 cup of salt
-1 cup of cayenne pepper
-1/4 cup of garlic powder OR 2 garlics (cloves separated from one another)
-1 lemon quartered
1/4 cup of paprika

You will also want to throw in some corn on the cob (at leat 1 per person) and those little potatoes with the very fine skin, and a couple of onions halved along with the crabs.

Once the water begins boiling, throw in your crabs and let the water come back to a boil. Once it starts boiling again, boil them for 5 minutes, then remove from heat. Let stand for 20-25 minutes, then enjoy! You might also want to dip them in cold water once removed from the boiling water to stop the cooking, so they don't dry out. Mmmmm, mmmm, frigging GOOD, ya!

It`s also great with shrimp (and of course crawfish, but you don`t get these in Canada). I`ve heard you can do it with lobster, but I`ve never tried.

·
Registered
184 Posts
i only ate rock crab once. it was a huge one though! delicious!

try using the little ones as bait!

·
Registered
457 Posts
The bailey bridge has been gone for a few years, it is replaced by a cement one. It is right at the turnoff for Cape Enrage on hwy #915. Go to the right side and u will see where people fish. There is lots of crab there and the stripers come thru on the incoming tide when they are around.Fished there several times for stripers using cut up mackeral for bait but only caught crabs!!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
That a good reason for no seeing it. I fished just upstream in my kayak from the bridge
always caught small stripers while trolling.

·
2,366 Posts
Yep! there are lots of crabs, all right! Except that you failed to mention that they're tee-tiny little ones. Lol! Oh well, I did catch an eel and decided to bring it home and made unagi out of it (b-b-q smoked eel). We had sushi last night.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep! there are lots of crabs, all right! Except that you failed to mention that they're tee-tiny little ones. Lol! Oh well, I did catch an eel and decided to bring it home and made unagi out of it (b-b-q smoked eel). We had sushi last night.
LOL...the place is littered with tiny ones near the banks....Although we caught a quite a few decent size crab.
The smaller ones near the bank were fun to watch when you were reeling in...it was like a race to see which one could wrap his arms around the bait first.

We didn't bring anything home. We hadn't planned on fishing crab, so didn't have a bucket with us. I kinda wanted to keep a few of the big ones but were uncertain if it was legal.

·
2,366 Posts
LOL...the place is littered with tiny ones near the banks....Although we caught a quite a few decent size crab.
The smaller ones near the bank were fun to watch when you were reeling in...it was like a race to see which one could wrap his arms around the bait first.

We didn't bring anything home. We hadn't planned on fishing crab, so didn't have a bucket with us. I kinda wanted to keep a few of the big ones but were uncertain if it was legal.
I found out over the weekend that there now IS a crab fishery in NB, so you would need a special license (like lobster license) to fish crabs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts