New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well lately I have just about had enough. There are too many people not catching and releasing trout that keep over their bag limit! Me being strictly a C&R kind of guy unless the fish is damaged, this makes me even more angry. Last time I went trout fishing, I seen a guy with about 7 trout on his stringer... Today, a friend told me that he seen someone with over 15 trout on a stringer as well while fishing a creek in ontario. It is not only a problem here in NB, but in Ontario and all of the world too! I have seen about 15 different people keeping excessive amounts of trout in the past 2 years. Next time, I may not give them a chance, and call up the DNR right away on them. What do you guys think about this problem

By the way here is a video I made preforming Catch and release on a trout in a creek near my house!
Me Preforming Catch and release on a trout!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well lately I have just about had enough. There are too many people not catching and releasing trout that keep over their bag limit! Me being strictly a C&R kind of guy unless the fish is damaged, this makes me even more angry. Last time I went trout fishing, I seen a guy with about 7 trout on his stringer... Today, a friend told me that he seen someone with over 15 trout on a stringer as well while fishing a creek in ontario. It is not only a problem here in NB, but in Ontario and all of the world too! I have seen about 15 different people keeping excessive amounts of trout in the past 2 years. Next time, I may not give them a chance, and call up the DNR right away on them. What do you guys think about this problem

By the way here is a video I made preforming Catch and release on a trout in a creek near my house!
Me Preforming Catch and release on a trout!
I share your frustration. As a solution I think size limits should be increased in sea run creeks and the river systems in NB. To say 16", also fines for having more than your bag limit or size limit should be very stiff....say 6 months in jail and loss of vehicle!!!!! They won't have to jail too many people before the problem is solved. I always catch and release trout...unless it is a bright sea trout over 2 lbs. They taste so good!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I know what ya mean man. I had a spot like that before, now tonnes of people go there. Only me and a few 100% trusted people know. When we went to the water one day, I seen a random guy there with a bunch of trout over the bag limit for sure that he was keeping. now my spot is going to see pressure if that keeps up.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Thanks Dave !! no need for that no matter how hard of a topic. I do have a 13 year old step son that I encourge to read this blog before his game time. Just so happens after reading this blog he is interested in comming to crown waters with me. I think it was more of the pictures but at least he is comming and I'm 100% looking forward to it. And I owe this Blog for it. I will post pics hook ups or no hook ups just to encourage young ppl. today to take 5 min and read some non fiction stories as far as angling.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've seen the same thing where I'm from!There will be twenty people lined up on the warph,with treble hooks the size of anchors, jigging for trout!Then they catch everything that goes by, not only trout, but flounder,which are killed then thrown to side of the worph.I agree that the penalty should be severe enough hat it would scare the rest of then bad enough that they would think twice about catching above there limit!I have no problems in keeping a few trout for a lunch, but what do you do with fifty or sixty trout frozen n your freezer? I love fish, but everyday day would become a drag!

I think the mentality of people where I live is,I'm gonna do what I want and no one can tell me what to do! they think they are still in the twenties and thirties, and they have to feed there family!We are not in the depression era anymore!There is no respect for anything anymore!

I practices catch and release all the time, unless the fish is to badly hurt, over the years I've seen the population of trout go down and the quality of fish is not what it used to be!I would call the DNR and have these people caught,but when 9 out 10 people are poaching, well the odds of reprisal are high!

If a few of these people get caught and loose all there fishing equipment, cars,boats and fishing rights,maybe the rest would be scared and not poach anymore!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've seen the same thing where I'm from!There will be twenty people lined up on the warph,with treble hooks the size of anchors, jigging for trout!Then they catch everything that goes by, not only trout, but flounder,which are killed then thrown to side of the worph.I agree that the penalty should be severe enough hat it would scare the rest of then bad enough that they would think twice about catching above there limit!I have no problems in keeping a few trout for a lunch, but what do you do with fifty or sixty trout frozen n your freezer? I love fish, but everyday day would become a drag!

I think the mentality of people where I live is,I'm gonna do what I want and no one can tell me what to do! they think they are still in the twenties and thirties, and they have to feed there family!We are not in the depression era anymore!There is no respect for anything anymore!

I practices catch and release all the time, unless the fish is to badly hurt, over the years I've seen the population of trout go down and the quality of fish is not what it used to be!I would call the DNR and have these people caught,but when 9 out 10 people are poaching, well the odds of reprisal are high!

If a few of these people get caught and loose all there fishing equipment, cars,boats and fishing rights,maybe the rest would be scared and not poach anymore!
Agreed, this happening really makes people mad, just like the guy that got banned. I feel his frustration and why he thinks that about people but obviously shout not express it like that on here. I hate to see people do this to the fish. I`m 16 and was fishing since I was 4, I have noticed even a drop of fishing in my lifetime and im not even half done my life of fishing! I still got many many years of fishing to come, and woul actually like to be able and catch something when I am old and retired. There definitely should be a harsh penalty because there are too many problems with out fisheries lately. Im just getting started in angling and finally got noticed by my first fishing company! It is not a major company, they are just smaller trying to grow in popularity they are the creators of the wacky rig'r fishing tool.

SO getting noticed by a fishing company, I really have gotten more into fishing and catching and releasing, people who keep trout over the limit really deserve to be punished. Most of the fish they are catching is probably sitting in the freezer or landfill anyway. Maybe something should be mentioned to the DNR and an article should be posted in the News Papers about this subject. Like I said too, the only fish I keep are the ones That won't go back alive because of injury, and that doesn't happen too often. Usually only get to keep 1 or 2 trout a year.

·
Registered
208 Posts
How many times have you heard the story, when I was younger we used to catch 100 trout in a couple of hours out of that brook, or, we used to float canoes down that stream and cover the bottom of the canoe with trout. That is part of the problem. When the fishings good the greed level raises. I don't have any use for that many fish, and don't normally keep any unless there is no chance for survival.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How many times have you heard the story, when I was younger we used to catch 100 trout in a couple of hours out of that brook, or, we used to float canoes down that stream and cover the bottom of the canoe with trout. That is part of the problem. When the fishings good the greed level raises. I don't have any use for that many fish, and don't normally keep any unless there is no chance for survival.
Well said sako! You are 100% right, when the fishing is good there are too many people who become greedy. If people are catching 100 Trout in a few hours, what i dont understand is why they wont use barbless hooks or at least pinch the barb. It is also kind of sad me being only young at 16 and almost being able to say...We used to fish there and catch fish all the time...now it is not so good. I mean I should not have to say that already and the reason I am is because what A lot of anglers are doing. Being Greedy with the fish and not releasing them. I STRONGLY enforce catch and release and never keep fish unless like you they are too injured to return to the river, and that barely happens, maybe 1 time a year.

A major change I have had in my lifetime, is going from fishing a lake in Nonalu ontario and catching plenty of Bass perch walleye and pike when we went out on the water and now i am lucky to get one perch. The main problem there is too many people keep their entire limit of perch every day and sometimes even over their limit...by a lot. Perch is not only a catchable fish there, but is a food source for other fish as well.

I just want to see something be done on this topic to help keep our fishery going!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Here in N.B. most regard perch(yellow) as garbage and, unfortunately, treat them the same way. Tasty little buggers and quite plentiful in some lakes. When I was younger yellow perch were used as bait for pickeral and nobody ate them. I lived in Ontario and ate perch, thinking it was white perch. I was quite surprised to discover they were yellow perch. I've caught some very large perch on streamer flies on Magaguadavic while trolling for salmon. I don't throw them back anymore. We do have to worry about fish populations in this province as they are dwindling in some areas. The brooks and rivers I fish all hold fairly high numbers of trout, only because people believe they are fished out. The numbers are low close to any access but once you move away from the crowds there are still good spots. Main thing is when you find a decent spot, don't tell anyone. This may make you seem greedy but it will protect the fish numbers.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I think that a lot of the problems begin in lack of education!When someone starts out in hunting, they need a safety course, you have to take a close in order to get your gun license. Why not make it like that for fishing?Educate the younger ones in conservation of our fish species!

I know that when fish are a plenty, people get greedy!But when fish numbers are low, why are people still greedy? I remember when I was a kid,not that long ago, about 25 years. There was salmon,eels,trout' bass that ran in the river that runs behind my house!Now all we get is trout, and even they are starting to be less plentiful.

It's great to see someone young and interested in preservation, maybe there is still hope after all!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have had a pretty good year regarding catching and releasing fish. 13 out of 15 trophy fish released themselves but the point is my fishing buddies and I have been tagging and releasing rainbows , both salt and fresh water fish. We are well over 250 fish this season alone and all the fish we tagged had to be a minimum of 15 inches or bigger. The point is some of these fish have been caught by us and fellow anglers up to 4 or 5 times and released again. Catch and release does work as long as you don't handle the fish to long and make sure it is active before releasing them.

Four weeks ago I went fishing by myself one morning and the sea run brookies were coming in and caught and released well over 50 fish from 6 inches to 16 inches in five hours. Those fish are all still swimming unless they were caught and eaten by anglers or natural predators.

If we took all the fish we have caught and released there would be well over 1000(probably higher) fish from the legal limit up that would have been killed by only 7 or 8 of us.

It is better to release and catch the fish multiple times opposed to catching it once and eating it.

We also take great care with our wild brookies and have released a few over 5 pounds this year, we never keep brookies(well the first fish I caught on the fly was a 16inch 2.1lb brookie that in my excitement I kept, that was 5 years ago). I have only kept one male rainbow this season and may keep another in a few weeks before the end of the season.

Anyways guys promote catch and release and protect our rivers and streams and only keep injured fish.

80% - 90% of these fish were caught using nymphs. Nymphing isn't jigging and I really wish that NB DNR would get the heads out of there butts and sit down and think about allowing fly fisherman to nymph on scheduled waters.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I feel the same way as most of you guys, poaching makes my blood boil and I'm mainly a catch-and-release guy. For whatever reason I bought into it really young - being very impressionable I guess and reading c&r articles in magazines - I started releasing trout and stopped worrying about keeping my limit of 15 trout every time I hit a stream. I tried not to preach too much, but the more my buddies I fished with saw me releasing trout (especially the nicer ones), the more they started doing it too - not as much mind you, but the seed was planted.

Today, I absolutely don't kill nice brookies, unless they're hooked really badly, but that hasn't happened in a few years. Occasionally you will hook pan-sized trout badly, if that happens, I will keep it and usually keep one or two more to go with it for a small feed. I really don't think we should be keeping trout between 12-18 inches, that should be a slot limit IMO.

I'm not quite as adamant on grilse, I usually keep one or two a year - they have to be fairly bright though, and no hen grilse get tagged. 75-80% of the grilse run is male - I see it as nature's way of ensuring that there are enough male fish to spawn every available female in the river. Keeping a couple male grilse is probably the least impactful way to enjoy a couple fresh fish each year - if you keep a hen grilse, you are plain and simple taking eggs right out of the redds - and I refuse to do that.

Not really sure how I got into this ramble, I guess I was just going to say that the best thing you can do is lead by example, don't be afraid to talk about the importance of C&R - even with other fisherman that you know are meat hogs. As long as you're not rude, they may not agree with you to your face, but they will respect you for your convictions. Don't turn a blind eye to poaching, and TAKE A KID FISHING. Teach them to respect the fish and the environment without brow-beating them - lead by example and they will gladly follow your example.

I don't think C&R means you have to release every fish - just try and only keep them for the right reasons, and release the ones that will do the most good for the river system - NOT keeping the ones that will do the most good for your ego.

Tight lines

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think that a lot of the problems begin in lack of education!When someone starts out in hunting, they need a safety course, you have to take a close in order to get your gun license. Why not make it like that for fishing?Educate the younger ones in conservation of our fish species!

I know that when fish are a plenty, people get greedy!But when fish numbers are low, why are people still greedy? I remember when I was a kid,not that long ago, about 25 years. There was salmon,eels,trout' bass that ran in the river that runs behind my house!Now all we get is trout, and even they are starting to be less plentiful.

It's great to see someone young and interested in preservation, maybe there is still hope after all!
Gald you think hunters are upstanding citizens....lol. The deer herd is at an all time low and will never get back to where it was but still some people jack/shoot too many, etc. You can try to educate these same people all you want and they will still do it. The younger generations, even those poeples off spring, are more aware/care about the future so we may have a hope.

But historically, all type of fish/fishing in general has resulted in over fishing. Punishment does work but the enforcement officers need more power.

·
Registered
22 Posts
IMO The bag limit for trout should be the same as Bass. (or less preferably)

Reelingituptfish ..... Take pics and details of all folks you see poaching ..... Most of the yard-apes will likely happily pose with their stringers , and pass the info along to DNR

·
Registered
11 Posts
IMO The bag limit for trout should be the same as Bass. (or less preferably)

Reelingituptfish ..... Take pics and details of all folks you see poaching ..... Most of the yard-apes will likely happily pose with their stringers , and pass the info along to DNR
Just thought I would chime in on this topic. It is fantastic that "Live Release" angling is being discussed in a positive way. Just a very important note having read some of the threads. Large Brook Trout, resident or sea-run, more importantly sea-run are the ones that should be released, not the small ones. The small trout are the ones that should be kept (in very strict limits). The large trout are the spawners, that seed the river, just like Salmon. In terms of biology, it's simple "Big fish produce Big fish , genetics, just like people. I have posted in the trout gallery some pictures of large sea-run brookies that I have hooked and released to illustrate my point. Hook and release is important, but understanding the its purpose as well as the biology behind it is as important!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts