New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Man people say they get pickeral there, ive fished it 4 times over the last few years and got two small pickeral Ill never go back there, I talked to an old guy that lives on the lake and he said there aint nothing left, years of catch n kill pickeral tourny on the lake has done it in in my opinion. People will still tell me they get a bunch there but I have to see it to beleive it at this point.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Well, I'm not generally a catch and kill kinda guy, but Cassidy Lake used to be home to 2-pound trout, quite commonly, until some idiot put pickeral in there.
I have a hard time feeling bad about pickerel disappearing from lakes where they were illegally introduced. But that's just me.

·
Registered
185 Posts
cassidy still has some nice trout, but they are tough to get. and there are pickerel still. but more impressive is the smallies in there. some real donkeys.

·
Registered
169 Posts
There is small mouth in there now? what? Wasnt the origional trout population (splake) introduced there as well? Not a native fish.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I have never caught a bass there but a guy showed me 2 he had in his boat, both 15-16". Last year on my first trip I caught at least 12 pickeral and it was early May. I guess I will just have to make a trip and check it out for a couple of hours at least.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Buddy of mine nailed a real nice sized small mouth there the other weekend, lots of pickerel in there, perch, catfish and some old eels too. It's all depends where your at on Cassidy when you fish. I lived on the lake there all my life and have always caught nice sized pickerel in there. Biggest was a 30" which at the time was great!

They used to stock the lake with splake every few years, I dont know if they still do or not.

Once the weeds come in and the lilly pads it makes for fun pickerel fishing.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Its a small lake, where do you find pickerel? near the shore like usual or do they act different in Cassidy lake?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Well when the weeds are in you can get some nice ones along the shore in the weeds.

This weekend that just went by we went out. Caught a few mostly on the back side of the lake in 6-8 feet of water. The fishing derby is this Saturday coming too by the way.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Haha! The lake is fished out though. I remember 6-7 years ago could catch pickerel every cast. Now maybe one every 10 casts. My buddies got 2 nice bass while we were out this weekend.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i know this convo was in May but has anyone been there recently...my friend and i are thinking about taking a small aluminum with tolling motor there tomorrow

·
Registered
6 Posts
It definitely isn't like it used to be. It has been the best place for myself for bass. Was out this passed weekend with rylan and a couple other guys. I caught an 18" bass and my friend caught a 19" one. I don't have much luck catchin a lot at a time but they are big when you do.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Thats messed, I feel more confident fishing in my toilet then in Cassidy lake
I feel the same way!!! i hate that lake.. been there a half dozen times only to just spend the day fishing.. with no catching... it is nice to just get out, but it wouldn't hurt to hook into a fish at least once there... I don't go there anymore.. have at it boys, at least to the ones who say they catch fish there, cause I don't! lol lol

·
Registered
70 Posts
There are no fish in the lake anymore. 5-6 years ago you could nail a Pickerel at least every other cast. The fishing derby every year has the lake just about fished out. Unless you like sunfish, and old cat fish hah.

·
Registered
26 Posts
ya i was out there a few weekends ago and i cought a 16" pickrel and some slightly smaller ones as well as my buddy but didnt see a single bass....my buddy went back recently and said he saw a couple big ass pickrel...ill venture back one of these days

1 - 20 of 24 Posts