New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

Just letting you all know about an upcoming muskie event in downtown Fredericton. This is a 100% non-profit and live release event, intended to promote the muskie fishery by bringing as many anglers as possible together for a chance to win cash and prizes and show off how much potential this fishery really has.

All levels of skill are welcome, and the event takes place during peak Fredericton muskie fishing (full moon in October). This is not a club or organization and there are no other requirements to participate. Once again, it is a non-profit event designed to bring a bunch of muskie anglers together and have some fun at a competitive level.

If you're interested in participating in something like this, you can get more information on registration and other details here:

http://www.fishingnb.ca/?page=events&event=ccmc2011

I realize that not everyone supports this new sport fish being in the Saint John River, but for those who enjoy some Fall muskie fishing this will be the biggest event payout that Atlantic Canada has ever seen.

Thanks Everyone!

~M

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hi Folks,

Just letting you all know about an upcoming muskie event in downtown Fredericton. This is a 100% non-profit and live release event, intended to promote the muskie fishery by bringing as many anglers as possible together for a chance to win cash and prizes and show off how much potential this fishery really has.

All levels of skill are welcome, and the event takes place during peak Fredericton muskie fishing (full moon in October). This is not a club or organization and there are no other requirements to participate. Once again, it is a non-profit event designed to bring a bunch of muskie anglers together and have some fun at a competitive level.

If you're interested in participating in something like this, you can get more information on registration and other details here:

http://www.fishingnb.ca/?page=events&event=ccmc2011

I realize that not everyone supports this new sport fish being in the Saint John River, but for those who enjoy some Fall muskie fishing this will be the biggest event payout that Atlantic Canada has ever seen.

Thanks Everyone!

~M
Looking Forward to this! If I enter, it will be my first tournament, but hey im still only 16! Good luck to anyone who enters and hope you all have fun!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hey Matt! This looks sweet. I'm very interested in attending this event. I've been meaning to get after these beasties and this is just the type on incentive I needed. Muskie fishing from a kayak... it's going to be a blast!!

BTW, in the website it mentions leaving the fish in the net until the officials come along to measure it (perfect for me, btw). The question I have is... how big a net do you need? This will be new for me so I'll need to gear up, and obviously this is the place to start.

Thanks! I'm marking this date down!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey Matt! This looks sweet. I'm very interested in attending this event. I've been meaning to get after these beasties and this is just the type on incentive I needed. Muskie fishing from a kayak... it's going to be a blast!!

BTW, in the website it mentions leaving the fish in the net until the officials come along to measure it (perfect for me, btw). The question I have is... how big a net do you need? This will be new for me so I'll need to gear up, and obviously this is the place to start.

Thanks! I'm marking this date down!
I went to my 1st Muskie Tourney with a friend last weekend in woodstock,,i never caught nothing but had a hell of a time,,i'll be to more of them for sure.
BobD,i dont own no muskie gear but my friend had lots,,as far as buying gear for it,unless your really go after them often i would suggest you go with some one that has some gear,,cause what my friend told me and i have seen the price of hooks,,it can be real exspensive,but at the same time,,if you go you won;t regret it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the interest - it should be a good event indeed.

As for the "muskie suitable release net", this basically means either a large knotless type net able to completely secure a large muskie fully submersed (Frabill Big Game is a good example and what I personally use but there are lots of others), or a cradle of suitable size (able to handle fish up to 50 inches or so). I'll have my Frabill on hand, which I cannot use since I'm an official for the tournament, so I'll be offering it up for use to the first person who asks me the morning of. There are a couple other guys I know pairing up with partners who are bringing extra nets. Also, Chris Munn from Fredericotn Outfitters will have some gear on hand that morning, so I mentioned to him that since the nets are mandatory that he should bring some of those as well, which he will. But as someone already hinted to, you can quickly spend money on this heavy duty gear.

If you plan on fishing muskies in the future, however, the nets are well worth it - losing even one monster at boatside because you don't have a suitable net to secure her will make you pull your hair out.

Also remember that early bird registration is up to Sept 1st. After that the price goes up. This is so the event can be well organized and we can let the Ramada know the details well in advance. The easiest way to register is to go right in to Fredericton Outfitters and fill out a registration form and Chris forwards them to me.

Thanks everyone and I'll see you there,

~M

·
Registered
492 Posts
I went to my 1st Muskie Tourney with a friend last weekend in woodstock,,i never caught nothing but had a hell of a time,,i'll be to more of them for sure.
BobD,i dont own no muskie gear but my friend had lots,,as far as buying gear for it,unless your really go after them often i would suggest you go with some one that has some gear,,cause what my friend told me and i have seen the price of hooks,,it can be real exspensive,but at the same time,,if you go you won;t regret it
Thanks for the suggestion, but I fish from a kayak, so it's pretty much a one-man show. I'll definitely need to gear up some, and I don't expect I'll regret it.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the interest - it should be a good event indeed.

As for the "muskie suitable release net", this basically means either a large knotless type net able to completely secure a large muskie fully submersed (Frabill Big Game is a good example and what I personally use but there are lots of others), or a cradle of suitable size (able to handle fish up to 50 inches or so). I'll have my Frabill on hand, which I cannot use since I'm an official for the tournament, so I'll be offering it up for use to the first person who asks me the morning of. There are a couple other guys I know pairing up with partners who are bringing extra nets. Also, Chris Munn from Fredericotn Outfitters will have some gear on hand that morning, so I mentioned to him that since the nets are mandatory that he should bring some of those as well, which he will. But as someone already hinted to, you can quickly spend money on this heavy duty gear.

If you plan on fishing muskies in the future, however, the nets are well worth it - losing even one monster at boatside because you don't have a suitable net to secure her will make you pull your hair out.

Also remember that early bird registration is up to Sept 1st. After that the price goes up. This is so the event can be well organized and we can let the Ramada know the details well in advance. The easiest way to register is to go right in to Fredericton Outfitters and fill out a registration form and Chris forwards them to me.

Thanks everyone and I'll see you there,

~M
Thanks Matt. I'll have to go take a look and see what the nets are running for, and budget accordingly. I have some learning to do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
this is going to be an amazing event any questions on tools handling ect ask them here there some guys on here more then willing to help , remeber we dont want to harm these massive beauties!

·
Registered
457 Posts
It is almost guaranteed that there will be another 12' boat there. There is also 5 or 6 14'ones(jon boats)I suspect there may also be a kayak or 2 at this event. U dont need a big boat, just a big net Good Luck

·
Registered
177 Posts
I want to go really bad! I am 16, this will be my first tourney and my product sponsorship will pay my entrance fee! However I may not be able to get in since I am lacking a boat and partner at the moment. My Uncle may be able to get a canoe for me, but I would be at a major disadvantage and I do not think he would end up paying to fish it... I hope I get to enter, I need this experience A lot. Chances are I will not be able to enter unless something miracle-like happens.

So in the mean time, good luck to all entering! maybe if a miracle happens I will see you there too!

Trenton <><

"fishing is good, Catching is better, The journey is best"

·
Registered
438 Posts
I would love to go but I'm not sure if me 12ft boat and 8hp motor will be any good on that river
Dont let that bother you, i have a 12ft witha 9.8 and i fish in every tourny i can get in, this time of year the river isnt to violent and there is lots of people around, if it were spring or late fall id think twice about it but you should be fine...just watch out for the wakes from all the bass boats when they take off lol after blast off its smooth sailing

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Guys,

Just a reminder, the smaller boats get to take off first and get a 15 or so minute head start. The larger boats have to wait and launch last. So you don't have to worry about getting swamped by the larger boats... should give you lots of time to take off and get to where you want to go with smaller boats. And yes, it looks like a few fellas in kayaks will be fishing the event as well, which should be cool!

Thanks!

~Matt

·
Registered
457 Posts
Looking for a partner from the Moncton area for this tourney. Besides the $70 entry fee(if paid by Sept1), I would require u to split the gas cost which would be $30 each. We would depart about 0500 hrs to be at the launch for the 8am mtg. Return would be around 9pm following prize hand out at the Ramada. If u have a place to stay in Freddy we can go the day before and fish French lake or somewhere. I have a 16' alum with a 20hp and lots of muskie gear that is required. Please PM me asap as the early registration is fast approaching. Cheers Casey

·
Registered
177 Posts
Looking for a partner from the Moncton area for this tourney. Besides the $70 entry fee(if paid by Sept1), I would require u to split the gas cost which would be $30 each. We would depart about 0500 hrs to be at the launch for the 8am mtg. Return would be around 9pm following prize hand out at the Ramada. If u have a place to stay in Freddy we can go the day before and fish French lake or somewhere. I have a 16' alum with a 20hp and lots of muskie gear that is required. Please PM me asap as the early registration is fast approaching. Cheers Casey
Casey, I think I would enjoy entering with you. I am 16 years old, My name is Trenton, and I am very nice and a good sport. I love fishing, and always have. Just got back From Fishing with Robert S (Kayakfisher63) and had a blast.
I'm responsible, caring, and easy to get along with. If you are interested and I can still get my sponsor to pay my way in, I will be there for your partner.
You can reach me at :

[email protected]

Trenton<><

·
Registered
177 Posts
Casey,
Just had a talk with my sponsor and they agreed to pay for the entry and the gas money. I would love to enter the tournament. If you are still willing to, I am 100% able to now. Thanks,
Have a great Day and hope to hear from you soon
Tight lines,
Trenton <><

"Fishing is good, catching is better, but the journey is best!"

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Guys, here is an email I just sent out to registered participants. Some people registered without an email address, so I wanted to be sure to get this message out to everyone. Hope to see you there, this is shaping up to be a great tournament. And to those who are already signed up - GOOD LUCK!

Hi Everyone!

The 2011 CCMC Muskie Tournament is only two weeks away! I have been very pleased at the interest so far, with over 20 participants registered officially, and another 10 or 15 that have chosen to pay the day of the tournament. This is shaping up to be a great event and I can\'t wait to see some new faces. We have people coming from as far as Quebec - what a statement for a fish that is not considered a sportfish in NB. Especially with this being the first year for the CCMC, I\'m already convinced it has been a success by the amount of interest it has already stirred up around the muskie fishery.

The tournament has seen some new sponsors recently which is good news. The current 2011 CCMC sponsor list includes:

Phantom Lures
Ramada Hotel
Fredericton Outfitters & Anglers
McKnight Insurance
Moosehead Breweries
Yvon Grise Lures
Fishing New Brunswick

Although the early bird registration is finished, you still have lots of time to get in on the event. Just let me know by email ([email protected]), by telephone (454-7467) or go into Fredericton Outfitters and register there. We will also be taking registrations the morning of October 8th, prior to launch, so that is always a last minute option. A head\'s up that you will be registering the morning of the tournament over the next couple weeks helps the planning as well, as we will be meeting at the Ramada Hotel afterwards for the awards ceremony and they\'d like to know how many to expect.

The raffle table is looking awesome and seems to just keep adding up. Remember that this is 100% free with your registration - you don\'t have to bring extra money to cover the raffle. These items have been mostly donated by our great sponsors, or have been purchased with the proceeds of cash sponsorships. So far, there are much more raffle table items than registrants, meaning that it looks like everybody will be walking away with something.

For everyone who paid by personal cheque, please note that I will be cashing all cheques on October 1st as I move forward with working out the last minute details of the payouts, prizes and raffles.

I will be sending out one last email before launch day, containing the unofficial rulesheet. This will include details such as boundaries, sub-zones, a summary of the tournament rules, and cell phone contacts for the officials (might want to get them into your cell phone before hand to be ready). I will also be handing out the rulesheets the morning of the tournament, so you can get all that information at that time as well.

Please contact me with any suggestions or comments. This is an entirely new format of tournament and there may be some wrinkles to iron out, but I\'m very confident that it will go well and get better from year to year with your suggestions.

Here\'s to Mother Nature being nice to us on October 8th, and to a successful tournament where we can promote this great fishery, see that all our captures go back alive and well, and get paid on a day of friendly competitive fishing.

Thanks Everyone!

~Matt Williamson
www.fishingnb.ca

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Things are picking up for the CCMC, with only one week to go. With a recent boost of participants and sponsorships, the current bottom line for cash and prizes for the CCMC is at $3553.85! Everyone will go home with something, and a few of you will land placing fish that will make it a nice payday.

This is going to be huge folks - our event space at the Ramada is ready for us and the weather looks promising for next weekend. The Ramada has a buffet going during the time we will be there, and they will be making drinks and food available on the terrace where the awards ceremony will take place. You can't get much better than that. Once you're off the water, come on over to a warm dry place and relax for this.

I've updated the website with the total cash & prizes dollar amount and will keep that updated this week. I've also included the raffle table value and will keep that updated as well. The official information & rule sheet is almost finished and I will send out an email once that is complete. These will also be available the morning of the CCMC, so no worries.

Chris Munn from Fredericton Outfitters will be on hand the morning of the tournament with a pile of muskie gear if you want to pick up any last minute things. He will also have suitable live release muskie nets as well. Show some support for Chris if you can - he's supporting us and hooked us up with some nice stuff, like all of our other sponsors have. Muskie lures are on for 20% off, right there on the shore.

Any last minute comments, questions or suggestions, feel free to contact me at [email protected]

Sharpen those hooks, the CCMC is almost here!

~Matt Williamson
www.fishingnb.ca

1 - 20 of 22 Posts