New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a river in NB suitable to fish for blacks from a kayak or a canoe? I'd like to give it a shot, but not sure where to go. Anybody?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've fished the Miramichi in the spring from a Coleman canoe,with good success,I might add.We put in at the Priceville bridge and floated down to Doaktown.I think we landed ten or so but it helps if you know the river so you can anticipate the next hole so you can get lined up because if you miss the spot,you aren't going to turn around and paddle back up to your spot,not unless you're superman! LOL! Seriously though,I wouldn't recommend it to the inexperienced but it is doable....RB

·
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've fished the Miramichi in the spring from a Coleman canoe,with good success,I might add.We put in at the Priceville bridge and floated down to Doaktown.I think we landed ten or so but it helps if you know the river so you can anticipate the next hole so you can get lined up because if you miss the spot,you aren't going to turn around and paddle back up to your spot,not unless you're superman! LOL! Seriously though,I wouldn't recommend it to the inexperienced but it is doable....RB
Hmmm. That's the thing: I'm inexperienced but would like to become experienced. Thanks man.

JC

·
Registered
138 Posts
Having fished black salmon for a few years out of my 14 ft boat I personally wouldn't want any kind of canoe or kayak under me first thing in the spring. The water is very cold, 30's -40's F and down right trecherous in alot of places. Even a 12 ft aluminum with a 9.9hp would be workable as long as she's got a litlle gidde up go to her. That's just my take perhaps there are places where the current is less strong however around the Doaktown and Blackville boat launches I wouldn't recommend it. However that's just my opinion.

Cheers
Bill Gass

·
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Having fished black salmon for a few years out of my 14 ft boat I personally wouldn't want any kind of canoe or kayak under me first thing in the spring. The water is very cold, 30's -40's F and down right trecherous in alot of places. Even a 12 ft aluminum with a 9.9hp would be workable as long as she's got a litlle gidde up go to her. That's just my take perhaps there are places where the current is less strong however around the Doaktown and Blackville boat launches I wouldn't recommend it. However that's just my opinion.

Cheers
Bill Gass
What's the Cains like in the spring?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts

Cheers
Bill Gass
I agree with you Bill. My buddy and I rolled a canoe last year the first weekend of the season, I went to the bottom and managed to push myself up. I have never felt anything so cold, and then you have to get to shore, get out and get changd real fast because the air temp isn't warm either. Not something I would ever like to do again.

·
2,366 Posts
There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad gear. I'm not worried about flipping my kayak over as 1) I have a sit-on-top which you can even stand on, 2) I'm dressed with the expectation to potentially fall-in, and 3) I always wear a pfd. I start kayaking around now, usually (as soon as the ice opens up and you can get to the water).

So, that being said, what's the Cains like as far as kayak fishing it goes?

·
Banned
65 Posts
There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad gear. I'm not worried about flipping my kayak over as 1) I have a sit-on-top which you can even stand on, 2) I'm dressed with the expectation to potentially fall-in, and 3) I always wear a pfd. I start kayaking around now, usually (as soon as the ice opens up and you can get to the water).

So, that being said, what's the Cains like as far as kayak fishing it goes?
WORSE!!

I've held back on this one so far but why do you bother asking? From the post above it sounds like your determined to go anyways. Anybody who is from the area or fishs those rivers in the spring will tell you its not adviseable. And to think your going to do it on a sit-on-top kayak and admits he's inexperienced on these rivers is down right stupid and asking for it.

·
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WORSE!!

I've held back on this one so far but why do you bother asking? From the post above it sounds like your determined to go anyways. Anybody who is from the area or fishs those rivers in the spring will tell you its not adviseable. And to think your going to do it on a sit-on-top kayak and admits he's inexperienced on these rivers is down right stupid and asking for it.
Asking for what, though? I'm inexperienced at fishing for atlantic spring salmon, not kayak fishing. If people flat-out don't fish for kelts from a canoe/kayak, it is because the current is too strong? If that's the case, then yeah, I won't bother as it's no fun trying to fish AND fight the current at the same time. But I'm not worried about flipping. It's all part of the game, man. As for the sit-on-top part, the point is that they are WAY more stable/safe then a sit-inside. I wouldn't even THINK of attempting this on a SIK (sit-inside-kayak).

·
Banned
65 Posts
I know what the advantages of a sit-on-top kayak. So lets say this....the currents are to stong to try and fish and control a boat at the same timee, plus trying to stay the hell out of the way of the motor boats. I grew up on this river and this wouldn't be a smart thing to do. Wait till June/July and make a trip on the rivers then. Would be a good trip on anyone of them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts