New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner

Will you participate in any or all of the tourneys planned for 2011?

• Yes

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, if I can use a canoe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, if I am off work

Votes: 1 14.3%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey lads and lassies! 2011 will bring a few kayak/canoe fishing tournaments/derbies in our neck of the woods. The Canadian Kayak Anglers (soon-to-be association) is planning a cross-Canada kayak fishing tour, and New Brunswick has been selected as part of the tour thanks to the success of the Hammond River Kayak Fishing Tournament 2010. Nova Scotia (somewhere on the west side) will also be hosting part of the tour. The tour will also have circuits in Ontario and Alberta. Each circuit will have AWESOME prizes, including a brand new Ocean Kayak Trident 13 for each circuit! What was last year the Hammond River Kayak Fishing Tournament will now be the New Brunswick circuit of the CKA Cross Country tour.

On top of THAT, there will also be YET ANOTHER kayak/canoe fishing derby in the Fredericton/Oromocto area. I'll let BobD tell you about that one, as he is one of the master-minds creating it.

PLUS, with Richard's success at the Sturgeon Hunt in Quispamsis last summer and all the hype about him winning the tourney from a kayak, outfishing about 100 motor-boats, I'm thinking about getting a kayak fishing team together to enter that derby again next summer, and see if one of us can take that title agian, while promoting kayak fishing.

We have an exciting summer ahead of us for 2011! I expect to see all of you who participated in the kayak fishing tournament last year, and bring all your friends and spread the word so we have a HUGE turn-out!

Tight lines!

·
Registered
492 Posts
2011 is shaping up to be a great summer for kayak fishing.

As Stroover mentioned, in addition to the great Hammond River Kayak Fishing Tournament (count me in for participating again this year!) we are working on another kayak fishing tournament near Oromocto. We will be working with Canadian Kayak Anglers and Eco-Logical Adventures of Oromocto to bring you a great tournament with lots of fun and prizes (including a kayak from Eco-Logical Adventures). Similar to the Hammond River tournament this will be a multi-species catch and release event. Although all of the details have yet to be finalized, expect it to take place in early June. As soon as the where and when are finalized, I will let you all know!

So stay tuned for more updates, and get your kayaks ready for a great summer!

And Stroover, you know I am in for the Sturgeon Hunt. I still wake up at night feeling that tap-tap bite that I wasn't able to set, so I have unfinished business...

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
sounds like a great summer of yak tourneys!

i would like to add a true salt water tourney too, perhaps black or beaver harbour, say the first week of august. i had a ball just fishing the harbor there this year past, mackeral mackeral everywhere!!! adding in fishing from a yak and multi species targeting, i think thios woul at least make a good fun tourney. assuming we still have an east coast next summer...! it would be nice to have one on that coast too, maybe the last wek of aug? some thing to think about this winter anyway. i don't expect these to be cka sponcered, but i think they could use all the yakkers help there this coming year. with a whole new coast line, it would be a challenge for all of us.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
once the dates are set in stone for the cka tourneys, we should get some fliers run off so we can leave them on any car bound yak we find - spread the word more and reach/inspire more non fishing kayakers.

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
once the dates are set in stone for the cka tourneys, we should get some fliers run off so we can leave them on any car bound yak we find - spread the word more and reach/inspire more non fishing kayakers.
Now THAT'S a good idea, ipop!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
do we have any dates yet? i have 7 days to make my single day off requests from work, so if you have the basic idea for dates, let me know so i can hopefully reserve it.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
okay, here are the dates according to the cka site:

hampton/hammond river: july 16&17
oromocto: june 11&12

nearby in Nova Scotia, weymouth: april 30& may1 or may14&15 tba

for those traveling out of paradise (better known as the maritimes...lol!):
winsor ON, june 25
red deer AB, june 25

·
Registered
492 Posts
ipop... thanks for posting the dates!

For both NB CKA tournaments, the fishing will be on the Sunday. Registration, setup, possibly an item swap/sell table, etc on the Saturday. So IF you can only get there for one day, the Sunday is the day... though we will be starting mighty early.

The Nova Scotia tournament date is changing because they didn't notice the 8th was Mothers Day. Doh! They are planning on adjusting it by 1 week, probably a week earlier but it hasn't been finalized.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
okay bob, i'll update/edit the dates.

at this rate i'll spend lots of time this season pre fishin' for the tourneys. now, if i can only arrange the weather...!!!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i completely agree bob! i like fishing with a purpose, it gets you out a little earlier and is a little more inspiring...! and you can always take a break ... and fish for fun!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts