New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Hey! I think it would be a good promo for kayak fishing if we yakfishers showed up at the Great Quispamsis Sturgeon Hunt on October 3rs at the Meenan's Cove park.
http://www.thewave.ca/wave/event/1349/The_23rd_Annual_Sturgeon_Hunt

What do you guys think? It would be about a 5km-6km paddle from there to the mouth of the Hammond River, which would be the furthest one would have to paddle to find sturgeon, assuming we have to launch from the Meenan's cove park. Otherwise, we just put in at the Darling's Island covered bridge and we're a hop, skip, and a jump away from good sturgeon fishing.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
str00ver, what are the boundaries for the tourney? will we have a problem if we launch at the covered bridge? norton shore?

i'll probabley be there, and most likely in my yak since i don't think jimie is coming this year.
time to tie some rigs, get some bait....

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
str00ver, what are the boundaries for the tourney? will we have a problem if we launch at the covered bridge? norton shore?

i'll probabley be there, and most likely in my yak since i don't think jimie is coming this year.
time to tie some rigs, get some bait....
In the past, you could register ahead of time and launch anywhere.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
thanks jim, i've always registered the same day. are we allowed to fish from shore? i'm just remembering the guy that kept zooming up and down through the boats, making it hard to keep a steady line.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
thanks jim, i've always registered the same day. are we allowed to fish from shore? i'm just remembering the guy that kept zooming up and down through the boats, making it hard to keep a steady line.
I saw a guy fishing the tournament from shore a couple of years ago, You don't have to go back to the launch for weigh in, they have boats running around measuring and weighing out in the river.

·
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes ipop, you can fish from shore. Apparently, one year the winner was fishing from shore. I'll try to call the guy today to find out for sure if we can launch anywhere. I know that if you do catch one, you just teather it to your boat by the tail, and they come by and pick them up for weigh-in. Yaks and all forms of vessels are welcome. It would be good for a few of us yakfishers to show up and promote the kayak angling sport. Had I found out about it sooner I could have ordered us some Canadian Kayak Anglers.com stickers for your kayaks for the event.

·
2,366 Posts
I just got off the phone with Ron, the event coordinator. Ok, got more information:
We can put in wherever we want. In our case, I would think if we can find a place to launch off the Perry Point Rd would be great (right along Sturgeon Alley!). Or, we can put in at Darling's Island covered bridge, and hit a couple spots along there in the Hammond River that would likely have little to no fishing pressure due to water levels and boats having difficulty getting to the pools.

Boundaries for the tourney are from Perry Point (on google earth, in the search window copy and paste 45° 28' 40.73" N, 65° 56' 57.92"W) up to the other end of Darling's Island (somewhere around here: 45° 31' 11.51" N, 65° 51' 41.18" W).
They're also selling bait on site for something like $3/tub. I think it's gonna be a blast, guys! But I think in our case we'll have to team fish, so your partner can help you tie your fish by the tail and to your yak. I can't imagine how to do that solo from a kayak. Lol!

·
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does my Sneak Boat count as a Kayak? lol I'm thinking about taking that to the tourney...
I guess so. Will you be paddling it with a kayak type paddle? Either way, you are allowed to use it according to their rules.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah I know I'm allowed to use it... haven't even fished out of it yet so I'd like to try it out. If I can't borrow my buddy's trolling motor I will be using the kayak paddle hehe.

·
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I know I'm allowed to use it... haven't even fished out of it yet so I'd like to try it out. If I can't borrow my buddy's trolling motor I will be using the kayak paddle hehe.
And if that's the case, hang out with us. The more kayak anglers, the merrier!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
jimmy now says he's coming, so i'll probabaley be in his inflateable...unless he changes his mind again, in which case it's back to the yak...lol!

·
Registered
492 Posts
I'm not sure how much of a group is going now. I'm still in. Anyone else going with a kayak?

I'll probably look for a spot to launch along Perry Point Road. Unfortunately I'm not going to get a chance to scout out a good spot to launch beforehand. So if anyone has a suggestion beforehand, then I'm all ears.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you travel towards Hampton up the Norton Shore road from Perry Point at about 3 KMS on the gravel road, the road has a wide section on the right where you can park although not to many cars will be able to park there. There is a house on the right on the water just infront of the parking place and one smaller house up the bank on the left. If you look carefully at the property at the parking place you will see there was a road leading to a launch spot. With help it is a easy launch and there are no private property signs. I have launched there a few times on my own but I have wheels for my kayak.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Thanks. I was looking at a satellite image using Google maps and that area looked like a good candidate. I too have wheels for my kayak.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm all ready to go! Wish I had bought my ticket while I was at Doiron's in Saint John today, but guess I'll have to go to Meehans cove 1st now.

You guys still planning to put in off the Norton Shore Road? If you've gotta go to Meehans Cove 1st to register, we should meet up... Look for the Burgundy Grand Cherokee with the Yellow SOT on the roof

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
jimie's still coming so i'll be in the inflateable but i'm looking forward to seeing one of you get towed a bit by a sturgeon!

·
Registered
492 Posts
getmoresoon... that is still my basic plan. I'll keep an eye out for you! I dive a white Pontiac Montana with a tan Ocean Kayak Trident 13 on the roof.

ipop... that would be an absolute blast! I hope to see a lot of fish caught!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'll likely be there (Meehans Cove) around 7AM. I'll wait around if people wanna post their ETA's. I'll check this again in the AM before I leave.

Should be a blast!
Off to bed now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts