New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know when the salmon usually show up at the wildcat crown stretch. I am thinking the 123 bridge and above area mainly. I am not sure if their is enough water for them to currently get up there . Any information about the upper end of the Cains and the salmon arrival would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was into the Upper Stretch about a week and a half ago. We didn't see any Salmon in there yet, but the lady at the D&R office said they don't go up there until Oct. Now, I'm not sure how much fishing she's done on the Cains or how much she knows, but that's what she said. We did catch a few decent trout though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've caught Salmon on the upper end in Sept before , but conditions have to be right . Even to get them up there before Oct 15th conditions have to be right , it doesn't happen every year . A good raise in water in the next 10 days would do it .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi

I have heard the stories as well, but the right conditions have eluded me so far, last year it was high water and the year before it was low until late in the year. I think you need moderate to high water throughout September and the first part of October to get them up there.

Usually you hear of some being caught up Shinnickburn or the bridge well before anyone get one up at Acadia or Wildcat.

Rain coming on the weekend so you never know...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Checking the water level chart it shows the river rising so the fishing should be improving. That big school holding in the mouth of the Cains and Black Brook has got to be starting up the river. Too bad they're a pretty dark bunch of fish, but then again so are most Cains fish.

·
Registered
104 Posts
As usual,I ended the season on the Cains River. I really like fishing the Cains,especially in the fall.I found the fishing to be quite spotty this year.If you fished a raise of water and the two days after,then you had a shot at hooking a fish.After the water dropped{the water dropped over a foot between Sunday and Wednesday}the fish got lockjaw.All of the fish I seen were dark fish that had been in the system.I managed to land a dark grilse around 6PM last night on a no. 6 Copper killer,double hook,but I fished hard to get that fish,for sure! Cheers!.....RB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts