New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Anybody planning on fishing Cains this weekend?
I fished the cains this past sunday, water is high and fast but it was pretty clean. Beauty about the cains it being a small river a guy can usually make due with high water and find some good holes. I was fishing with two other buddies, both using normal weight forward floating lines with muddlers/dry flys/green machines, they tried just about everything and one of them caught a bright 5 inch trout.
I still had my spring salmon line on and used a blue smelt most of the time, caught 4 myself, kept one, all bright silver brookies. all 5 fish that day were between 5 and 10 inches. Had a couple good tugs, there were deffinetly some big fellas in there.
I hadn't heard of anyone catching anything but resident trout right up until that day. i think people are missing the first of the sea trout run because they are all bunked up and pouting at home because of the high water. the conditions might not be perfect, but the trout are there!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Has there being some good fishing for trout up there ?
was up there again last weekend, water was still high but dropping, however not many fish. rolled one real nice trout, other than that between 5 people we caught 7 or 8, biggest being 10 inches. saw another fella i knew up that way and he had a nice 14 inch trout, said he only caught that one and hooked one other around the same size.

seems they are there but still not in great numbers, now that the water is better and we have warmer weather i imagine the fishing was good this weekend but ive been workin so i couldnt get out! wish i could fish for a living..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Anybody catching any trout on the Cains the past week? Is the run finished or has it even started yet?
I have heard from two people that this past Saturday some folks were running into some sea trout in Doaktown. Can anyone confirm this?
If that's true, than I would assume there would also be some working their way up the Cains.
I fished Boiestown on Sunday, but no luck (nothing big, anyway).

·
Registered
438 Posts
Trout were in Doaktown last week, i fished last thursday and got a lot of trout, some real big ones caught, just under the bridge, two guys other than me left with limits of nice trout, a few big ones released and lost as well, i had one break me off that had to be pushing 18 inches,the high water screwed it up tho, hopefully it will go down before they are gone, i would bet the cains is full of them right now but the high water would likely make them pretty hard to get to

·
Registered
79 Posts
Trout were in Doaktown last week, i fished last thursday and got a lot of trout, some real big ones caught, just under the bridge, two guys other than me left with limits of nice trout, a few big ones released and lost as well, i had one break me off that had to be pushing 18 inches,the high water screwed it up tho, hopefully it will go down before they are gone, i would bet the cains is full of them right now but the high water would likely make them pretty hard to get to
Hi Guys,

We built a camp on the Cains river 10 years ago- otter brook- and have not had much luck with trout. We need to fish upsteam from our camp because below is crown reserve. Wonder if anybody would share GPS coordinates of pools or fly suggestions? how about july/august fishing? are there big ones in the pools and if so how do you get them to take? Might be a place to stay in it for you

Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts