New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there! Im 15 and I will be new to fishing the cains river this year with a few family members and or friends. I have a fly rod and A lot of flies to be equipped for the occasion but have a few questions as well.
PS. I will ONLY be CATCH PHOTO AND RELEASEING( NEVER KEEPING )

1. Is there any crown pools or special stretches of the river I can not fish?
2. Where is a Good reccomended spot to fish for my first time and with what fly?(targeting mostly trout)
3. Is the whole river fly fishing only? If not when does it turn flyfishing only?
4. Any other important notes you think i should know about the river

THANKS A LOT GUYS!!!
Any answers will do! Just fill me in with what you know!

Thanks again, Trenton!

·
Banned
65 Posts
Hey there! Im 15 and I will be new to fishing the cains river this year with a few family members and or friends. I have a fly rod and A lot of flies to be equipped for the occasion but have a few questions as well.
PS. I will ONLY be CATCH PHOTO AND RELEASEING( NEVER KEEPING )

1. Is there any crown pools or special stretches of the river I can not fish?
2. Where is a Good reccomended spot to fish for my first time and with what fly?(targeting mostly trout)
3. Is the whole river fly fishing only? If not when does it turn flyfishing only?
4. Any other important notes you think i should know about the river

THANKS A LOT GUYS!!!
Any answers will do! Just fill me in with what you know!

Thanks again, Trenton!
Here is a link to a website with old salmon river maps. They are old but gold so use them as a guide as somethings have changed over the years. Also look at the regulation book it lists where you can't fish and dates.
One tip I would give that I think people should do is take that regulation book and mark the dates and information pertaining to areas you will be fishing right on a map or nb atlas. Looking for certain brooks and places you can't fish will help you learn the river and be right on the map for quick easy access when driving down some backroad.
The Cains is all fly fishing all year like most salmon rivers in NB. Alot of people fishing where the rt123 bridge crosses the river. That is probably a good place to start and maybe gather some more info on good spots. People are pretty secretive about there knowledge of good spots on forums but maybe standing on shore after fishing or waiting your turn down thru the pool a friendly chat might gain you some spots.

http://www.manzer.net/fish/index.html

·
Registered
122 Posts
Check the rules and understand them young fellar. The stretch I fish on is barbless only. Stop into Doaks on your way to the Caines, and someoe there can answer just about anything you need to know. But dont rely on what you see and hear from people. Due Diligence is your best defence when fishing unknown territory...

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'd recommend the day draws for the crown reserve pools. It gets you some great fishing with easy access and DNR in doaktown will give you directions. and make sure to fish the deep pools up to and slightly after dark- and dry flys work great at dusk, especially if there is a hatch on. There are large trout in the river, as big as grilse- I hope you catch one!

tight lines

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have guided on the Cains River for over 10 years and can tell you that it has a good but very short Trout season. There are a few spots that you can fish in mid to late may that would be accessible by vehicle but for the most part the good spots are accessible by boat or canoe only. You can Try "Buttermilk", "Salmon Brook" and the "Sabbies river pool". These are all good producers when the time is right. You can also try the pool at "Brophy's Lodge when there is nobody there, not many trout here but you may have fun hooking into a grilse or 2 later in the year around August.

Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts