New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Arrived on the Cains at about 2:30 pm and started fishing at Salmon Brook pool. Apparently there were a few fish hooked in the morning. The rain finally stopped and the water must have been rising as it was full of debris such as grass and twigs. I was there for about 4 hours and nobody hooked or caught anything. I rolled a few at the lower end of the pool but no hook ups. I left and was going to head to the Little Southwest for the rest of the evening but I decided to find the Buttermilk pool on my GPS and river map. I got in the pool at about 7:00 after chatting a bit with a fisherwoman that was there on the bank as her husband fished. I wanted to find out how to fish this pool and where to start since you can't see a damn thing on the Cains as it is black as tar. The last thing I wanted to do was to go for a swim.

I made about 10 cast and I saw the swirl and felt the line tighten. Immediately a large boil and the fish was on a run. I fought him for a short time as I was using the Stroft tippet mentioned in a previous post. You can really put the lumber to the fish so to speak.

Brought in the nice salmon and the woman was very kind to take some photos with my camera.

That's the first salmon I have ever caught on the Cains. I don't fish it and just my second time there as I wanted to hook fish on as many rivers that I could this year. So far I have caught fish on 5 different rivers and hopefully will be able to finally do the same on the Dungarvon and Sevogle this year but time is running out.

53 hooked and 37 landed so far.

It was a beautifull evening on the cains as the sun came out and the water temps were at 60 F. Water is high making it difficult to cast from being so close to the banks.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm sure other people are wondering...What do you do Green Machine that allows you to have so much time on the water?

A few years ago, I fished every single day for one summer and that ended my relationship...

Beautiful fish. I was out in it all morning yesterday and I got soaked...Wetter than taking a shower...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Richard Lyle -
First off I only fished parts of 24 days this summer. very few before noon.
Hardly ever fish the mornings due to crowds. Fished mostly this summer during the week and only about 5 Saturdays since end of May.

I have a good job where I get off work at 2:00 pm but was off work for a while recovering from a shoulder surgery. It's been a few weeks since I've been back to work and fishing Friday afternoons and Saturdays now. I don't have any kids which makes it easier to find time to fish.

I probably won't be doing much fishing now as I will be getting ready scouting for moose on some Saturdays and depending on the weather and fishing reports I doubt I will get out much. August is typically a slow month with warm weather and most fish are gone up river. Very seldom do I fish in August or the fall. I haven't fished the month of September in over 20 years. Maybe this year though cuz I have the fever.

Not much else I can tell ya! Tight lines!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm sure other people are wondering...What do you do Green Machine that allows you to have so much time on the water?

A few years ago, I fished every single day for one summer and that ended my relationship...

Beautiful fish. I was out in it all morning yesterday and I got soaked...Wetter than taking a shower...
Hi, Rick,
Thanks for the coffee yesterday.Water way high this morning.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I tried my up there Nasher, but following the river up, it just doubted me driving the full distance to bring another coffee...(I did have one for ya to, but, YUM)

Quite the story Green...I was actually being jealous over the amount and time you spent on the water...

·
Registered
79 Posts
When do they typically start the run up the cains. We have a camp at otter brook and have yet to get one there. It seems like the season ends too soon and the fish haven't made it to us yet. Anybody know the river and have some advice?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts