New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner

Buying Flies Online

7K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  ipop 
gdog & Paul - Thanks for the support! I really do appreciate it.
And Green Machine - What's wrong with my pics?
I know I couldn't really get the lighting right but they're the best I could take.

The only reason my prices are cheap is not because of inferior tying or materials (all of my hooks are Mustad, which is a great brand!), it's simply because I enjoy doing it and am only looking to break even and recoup all the money I've spent on supplies. I'm not looking to make a profit off tying.

If anyone is curious about the quality and wants to see for themselves, then contact me for my address. Send me a SASE and I'll mail you out a fly for free (thanks for the suggestion hubby) and for anyone that's already bought from me, you're more than welcome to a free fly too!

OK this is taking a very unpleasant turn and I'm really not comfortable being in the middle of any type of controversy.

First off, don't assume anything about anyone, especially based on someone's name on here. Chances are it means very little and why be insulting to someone (drive a tractor around in a circle?). That just shows real ignorance and letting the world know you don't have any idea what that job really entails.

Second, you might be shocked to learn where your professionally tied, tackle shop bought flies really come from. I can guarantee I'm not the only rookie tyer, non-fisher selling flies. I've even had the opportunity to sell to some of these fly shops so who knows, you might be buying my flies without even knowing it.

Third, most of my bug pictures were from some of my first tries at tying them and I put them there because they were the best shots I had and the website was really only ever intended for family and friends. And from what I'm learning, there's really no wrong way to do a fly. They all have about 100 different variations from the orignial and sometimes, those variations are what makes them successful.

Fourth and final, I don't know anything about any TOS agreement and I don't even know what that stands for. I've never heard of not being allowed to post links on a website. There's all kinds of unsolicited advertising on the internet and the internet really doesn't have many rules to begin with?

When Dave relaunched this site, he asked people not to be rude and nasty to eachother. Can everyone please just get back to that and stop making personal attacks on people they don't even know, just because they've assumed something about their situations? Yes, I'm a rookie tyer and I'm learning, learning from professional tyers, and everyone had to start somewhere. If people are happy with the work I am producing and the prices I charge, then who is anyone to stand there and berate me or them for it?

Nobody is perfect, everyone started out knowing nothing, and no one knows everything. Those that think they do are the only ones that believe it.

"It is better to reamin silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"

Perhaps the hotlinks comment wasn't addressed to me? Well if Dave has an issue with people posting links, he's more than welcome to jump in and say so and have it removed.
However, I don't see why it would be a problem when it's people that are voluntarily coming together to ask questions and learn from eachother (sometimes that lesson is how NOT to act) and posting links comes with that. I think it should be left up to Dave to determine what the rules are and to let him tell people what they can and cannot do. It's his site.

Ok this is getting back to nasty again. Drops and I had a conversation, I took offense to it, told him so and he says he did not intend for it to come across that way. End of story.

I have not been "tirelessly pimping my flies" on here. I made 1 simple post that I tied in my spare time and if anyone was interested, I also sold them. People contacted me, liked the prices and the work and shared that. They were trying to help out a new fisherman that wanted to inquire about buying online. I neither asked these people or had these people post anything about me, they chose to do so on their own so that should speak for itself.

Professional tiers sell to fly shops for about the same price I'm charging so yes, I do make a bit off my work, but I'm not doing it for the money, I'm doing it because I enjoy it. If I can recoup my costs, I can keep doing it and being a free country, I have the right to do that and I have the right to compete with anyone else out there, sorry!

If people choose to get involved in this stupid arguement, that is their choice, not because I've asked them to and I appreciate their willingness to defend me, and keep in mind that I wasn't even the one that brought myself into this but here I am, having to defend myself?

I'm not asking for anyone to be banned but please, if you don't like my flies or don't like that other people are happy with them, then don't buy any and keep your comments to yourself. And again, I'll repeat, this is Dave's site, not anyone elses. If he doesn't want links being posted (of which more people are guilty of than just in this topic) and if he has an issue with me offering to tie and sell flies via his site, then he has every right to ask me not to do so, but that is up to his discresion, not anyone elses. I very quietly posted that I tied, I didn't flaunt it and these people were trying to help a new fisherman get some gear for a decent price and I appreciate that they liked my flies enough to suggest it to him. I'm not targeting anyone or sending out mass emails to people on this site to generate orders.

If anyone is offering suggestions for improvement, I don't mind that but I don't condone personal attacks on me or anyone else, my work, or my site. This is foolish and not called for.

Well 1st of all,TOS is the Terms of Service Agreement that everybody "signs" when they join most forums,although most probly just clik "I agree" without actually reading it?personally,I could care less who links what to where....jest sayin' that "officially" it's not allowed?

2ndly,without sounding overly critical,you might consider upgrading your website photos to reflect the progress and quality of the new and improved flies that all your fans here rave about....you just might sell more bugs?
Thanks for the TOS explanation, and yes I'm one of those that clicks "I agree" without reading..guilty..but if Dave didn't want my post on here, he'd have removed it or asked me to.

And yes, I probably should update it but I don't have a lot of free time and if people are happy with my flies, then what difference does that make to anyone else? Plus, I don't want to get overrun with orders because I don't have lots of time to sit around and tie so I'm content with what I have now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.