New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
we were thinking of going fishing in the loch lomand or champlain hights for browns but we were wondering a few things.
what is the minimum size to keep and what is the bag limit
What time is best to fish
what's a good lure / fly
can you use a motor powered boat
can you use kayaks/canoes
also what is the depth of the lake near champlain Dr and Loch Lomond RD and what fly should i use (dry, nymph etc)
and where is the best spot in these lakes to fish for browns

i heard that there is browns in the lake near champlain Dr and Loch Lomond RD is that true

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
we were thinking of going fishing in the loch lomand or champlain hights for browns but we were wondering a few things.
what is the minimum size to keep and what is the bag limit
What time is best to fish
what's a good lure / fly
can you use a motor powered boat
can you use kayaks/canoes
See page 33 of the rules book, 15cm minimum length and no more than 2 browns. Not sure on thetimes. You can use motors but in Loch Lomond it has to be 4 stroke and less no more than 10 HP. Yes you can use kayaks and canoes. Not sure on the best flies, but when all els fails "Match the Hatch".

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
jim, you missed on this one. it`s not that zone and it`s an exception in the rules. page 31. the limit is right, 2, except it`s total fish there for browns and land loch...and hybred (they don`t want to agrue the hybreds, so that`s one reason for this excption rule - they lumpo them all together and treat them all the same). there is also a very different min. lenght, there it`s 35cm minimum for loch lomond lake first and second lakes.

it`s a big lake. the waves can hit 5 foot, that`s where i desgned my kayak to handle. if it`s windy i would suggest slipping into robertson which is the lake to the right leaving the city, or try little river reservoir or champlain heights reservoirs.
browns prefer the dark and most serious fishers will stay and fish most of the 2 hours after dark allowed. still, i catch most at dusk from the kayak. i use spinner and worm or several different sizes of crank baits 3-5 inch, some floating some suspending (i know, almost anything, but something with lots of vibe). zigzig as you paddle, running from as close as you can run the gear to another 40-60 meters out. dark on dark days, shiny colorfull on bright. hit all the points and check your gear often - it weeds up easily in these lakes. for flies i used a lot of black flies for dry flies (night!
), otherwise match the hatch. trolling a fly is supposed to work well, try trout fry immitators.

i would run the spinner first, at least to get used to the depths,they run from very skinny waters to very deep. there are also speckeld trout in these lakes and yellow perch.

·
Registered
298 Posts
As I pop said dusk is best .. dark is better but can't nite fish here, unlike river phillip in NS. I would suggest a big ole night crawler packed on a spinner. If you wanna fly fish them get a good mouse fly size 2 up strip the fly across the top of the water as fast as you can ( I suggest putting tape on your fingers to prevent line burn ) I have never fished browns here in NB. but have caught a few dandies ( 8 lbs ) in NS from the shore using this method. Hope this helps let us know.

·
Registered
52 Posts
See page 33 of the rules book, 15cm minimum length and no more than 2 browns. Not sure on thetimes. You can use motors but in Loch Lomond it has to be 4 stroke and less no more than 10 HP. Yes you can use kayaks and canoes. Not sure on the best flies, but when all els fails "Match the Hatch".
I beleive the 4 stroke 10hp rule doesn't take over until this Jan.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I beleive the 4 stroke 10hp rule doesn't take over until this Jan.
Actually November this year and that is for the people that live or have camps on the lakes affected, they had a 10 year period to become compliant, everyone else is already not allowed more than 10hp.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As I pop said dusk is best .. dark is better but can't nite fish here, unlike river phillip in NS. I would suggest a big ole night crawler packed on a spinner. If you wanna fly fish them get a good mouse fly size 2 up strip the fly across the top of the water as fast as you can ( I suggest putting tape on your fingers to prevent line burn ) I have never fished browns here in NB. but have caught a few dandies ( 8 lbs ) in NS from the shore using this method. Hope this helps let us know.
i dont think we will go for a while because yesterday my dad wasn't feeling to good and he worked weeks so we can only go on the weekend and on friday we are going to cape breton for 9 days to fish for trout up in the highlands 3 hours on a dirt road so probably not till mid august

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
the last 2 weeks of the season, i used to set aside for brown trout fishing. like the spring, they bite more readily and the big guys seem to be more available...and i also lose more gear then! lol, maybe i just try nastier places for them then, thinking i`m down to the last days. it`s hard to chase them these days since that is also a peak striper time. this would be the first 2 week of sept.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts