New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner

Brights in May?

4K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  mmoore 
#1 ·
Anybody think there might be a chance the bright salmons would be up in late May? I heard the smelt are in the rivers. I am heading to my camper and I'm just wondering if it's worth bringing my salmon gear.

#10 ·
I have caught them as early as May 18 and one salmon on the 23 both on the NW Mir. Should be worth taking a trip to the river this weekend if the water level drops. May even hook up a sea run trout. I grew up in Sunny corner and its fair game for salmon after this weekend if the rivers are not blocked in Red Bank with gill nets.

Straight lines and tight drinks

#15 ·
We were fly fishing for trout on the weekend, and a friend of mine caught a big salmon. We're not sure if it was a bright or a slink, because the back wasn't greenish but black, however it was not at all skinny like a slink, but rather quite fat. That was on the Kouchibouguacsis River near Saint-Louis-de-Kent.

#17 ·
Was on the Renous for the entire week 2 of those days were with chadman we ran into some trout nothing monster size, but good fishing .. my last 4 days I ran the river from the mouth to the forks there were some rocky brook being caught and some big trout at the mouth but ya had to work for them. the upper part was a good fall back on a poor morning salmon hunting as the trout were plentyful.

#19 ·
Well that's interesting, as I'm planning on floating a short stretch in that area this weekend. Is there any chance they could have been shad? Freinds of mine went up that way last week and had AWESOME luck shad fishing, they hooked 30+ fish in a few hours... and some trophy trout too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.