New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, about ten shacks got broken into on Cameron road, including ours. Luckily for us, they only ripped off the padlock and hasp, and once inside only stole a pair of scissors and a lighter. They left all our fishing gear, cooking ware, chairs, and generator. Some of the other guys got cleaned out. I guess we won't be leaving anything inside anymore. Sucks, man! I thought we had better people then that in our neck of the woods.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Doesn't really matter where you are, there's always somebody looking for something to steal. Lots of people blame it on the economy and the need for drugs but I tend to believe it's more of a lack of respect(fear?). The laws tend to protect the thief so I think they know it. Sorry to hear of your break in. They must have hit your shack last and didn't have any room left to carry anything.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Well, about ten shacks got broken into on Cameron road, including ours. Luckily for us, they only ripped off the padlock and hasp, and once inside only stole a pair of scissors and a lighter. They left all our fishing gear, cooking ware, chairs, and generator. Some of the other guys got cleaned out. I guess we won't be leaving anything inside anymore. Sucks, man! I thought we had better people then that in our neck of the woods.
We had trouble last year also,it seems like who ever broke in was after liquoir.Not much stuff was taken,but someone mentioned that their booze was missing in each case.I can't prove it but the word out last year was that it was late night thugs on snowmobiles going from site to site along the river looking for booze.I haven't been down to my shack since Sat.,must take a run down today to check it out.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Sorry to hear that stroover . It really sucks when that happens.. I had my camaro broken into about 6 or 7 years ago and although they had rap sheets a mile long and were caught in the act they were out of jail in under 8 hours... It took me months to get my stuff back and they were handed what amounted to be a tongue lashing on deaf ears ! The sad part is to this day Im often peeking out my windows in the middle of the night at the slightest unknown noise around my home..

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sucks, Jay. I'm down with what that fella did a few months ago when his neighbour called him up and said there were prowlers in the yard. He goes outside with an unloaded shotgun and held the shits at gunpoint until the cops got there. Unfortunately, he later got charged, but hopefully he won't do any time or anything. Myslef, if I were to do it, I'd beat the **** out of them with a baseball bat and leave them for dead and NOT call the cops. In my opinion, it's better for society that way. We're better off without any shits like that.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
you have it right str00ver. sorry to hear about the breakins. i had it happen a few years ago, kmb managed to save what was left after they tour the door off, but i lost my shack building kit - saw, drill, etc.

·
Registered
357 Posts
you have it right str00ver. sorry to hear about the breakins. i had it happen a few years ago, kmb managed to save what was left after they tour the door off, but i lost my shack building kit - saw, drill, etc.
You know what,a lot of these break-ins could be prevented! A person goes out and spends a couple hundred bucks say on the plywood,studs,screws,some form of stove, weather it be propane,wood or what ever,takes the time to put it all together,hauls it down to the river and low and behold sticks a $6 padlock on his new shack and hopes that will be enough.I know ,I used to do the same! Oh nobody is going to bother it down here! Well I lost a propane stove,lamp and all my fishing gear one year, and that taught me a lesson.I went to crappie tire and picked up a $40 padlock that is actually bullet proof,not only that,any windows I have in the shack are to small to crawl through.No shack is 100% safe,but if they do somehow get into mine,they will have worked for it!I think one look at the padlock is enough to deter anyone from even trying to break in.Why make it easy for them,spend the extra bucks and get a good padlock,it will save you money in the long run.And oh yeah,make sure you separate the keys,maybe give one to your buddy.If you lose them YOU are out in the cold!

·
Registered
315 Posts
I had a locking bar made for mine, Its welded construction , bolts to the inside of the shack , and the padlock is inside a metal box so you cant get at it with a saw or bolt cutters .. The only way to get in quickly is a zip blade and a grinder , but then you need to power as well .. Next year Ill be out for sure and looks like we will be located off the cameron rd .. I have relatives near there so Ill be able to just hook on to the shack and haul it out onto the ice, drill some new holes and fish.. The when Im done take it back to the relatives house until the next outing ..

·
Registered
357 Posts
I had a locking bar made for mine, Its welded construction , bolts to the inside of the shack , and the padlock is inside a metal box so you cant get at it with a saw or bolt cutters .. The only way to get in quickly is a zip blade and a grinder , but then you need to power as well .. Next year Ill be out for sure and looks like we will be located off the cameron rd .. I have relatives near there so Ill be able to just hook on to the shack and haul it out onto the ice, drill some new holes and fish.. The when Im done take it back to the relatives house until the next outing ..
Guys,most of these break-ins aren't from locals,they are coming from the bikers and sleders coming up river after everyone has left.I was talking to a buddy yesterday on the Cameron and he said that one of the guys actually saw them about 1;30 a.m. taking off up river.I'll bet if you ask around the other sites along the river there will be more incidents that you don't know about.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts