New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me how to properly use a bottom bouncer at M&G at the reversing falls. How far out must you cast to avoid the cable/coral? How to you retreive your lure without loosing it. I've lost over $60 dollars of lures and it's getting too expensive. But i'm desparate for a striper. never caught one. Going down to the falls on my spare time.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Can someone tell me how to properly use a bottom bouncer at M&G at the reversing falls. How far out must you cast to avoid the cable/coral? How to you retreive your lure without loosing it. I've lost over $60 dollars of lures and it's getting too expensive. But i'm desparate for a striper. never caught one. Going down to the falls on my spare time.
Welcome to Striper fishing!A lot of the guys that fish bottom bouncers make their own.Order a mold from one of the suppliers and hit the garages in town looking for lead wheel balancing weights,buy some dyed bucktail and a little paint,and you are in business!Actually,if you believe the surf fishermen from the states, you are not supposed to bounce them off bottom at all! Instead ,they say the proper way to fish a bouncer is to find the water column that the fish are suspended in and swim the bouncer through the column. This is why you need a variety of weights when fishing these things.Try different weighted bouncers till you find the right depth.Popular colors are red,white or yellow. I'm sure there are a lot of guys out there that have their own way of fishing bouncers,a friend of mine has great luck with them. The only difference is that he claims that if you aren't down in the rocks then your not deep enough! The bottom off the [email protected] shoreline is full of rocks and ledges that love to collect all kinds of tackle.Trial and error and you will eventually learn where you should or shouldn't cast to! Maybe some of the boys that fish there regularly will have some tips for you.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
never catch a thing, that casn be a hard area for gear, but still much better than the "point" by poikiok, or the island or the shuttle dock on the wrong tide. gmac gave you the basics, so here just a couple hints.

first, go there during the day at low tide. you can sort of see where that ridge/ledge/coral/cable? is, and if you want in low water you can basicly walk out to it. it starts from the big cove, which is completely shallow, runs in front of the channel between the island around 50yrd? out i think, and then pushes out again in front of the island furthest up stream. i have tried from the island itself, great way to lose a lot more gear!!

the idea with a bottom bouncer is to just tap the bottom or get close to it. i do this by countinmg down on the drop. so for instance when i throw a storm/swimbait from the island over the pipe, i'll count it down too from 8 to 16 seconds before i start reeling. if you tap or get stuck, reduce your count on the next cast.

you might try bulking up your jig by adding cut bait, a sinko, worm, skirt, eel or similar plastic, which will slow down the fall, giving you more time in the hit zone.

try balloning. a little tricky in the m&g area but should work. just add a ballon to your line just high enough to keep the jig off the bottom, but this MUST be less than the lenght of your rod, or you will have major trouble landing a striper, since you wouldn't be able to reach it...! lol

try going weedless. this may mean you need football jig heads, or you can try a trick with some electric tape. set an added bit/trailer on the hook so that it's weedless ie: the point isn't showing. now make the jig work more weedless by carefully wraping the head and start of the line with tape, forming a cone on the front. not perfect but a whole lot better, and doesn't cost much at all.

finnaly, maybe get some floating cranks? try magnum 7" bombers, as they are the shallowest of bombers, or a floating popper, or a big rap copy with the front hook removed.

i just remembered a simple one - add an elastic band! run it from the front of the jig to the barb of the hook, making it close to weedless.

i hope this helps, good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts