New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had put up a post looking for info on bonefishing in Mexico. The orginal post somehow was deleted. I wanted to update the people who posted with good advice on my outcome. Well I ended up using guide service 2 days while I was in Playa Del Carmen. My research led me to the island of Cozumel and to the flats. The best advice I have to give is to not sign up on any advance deals as they range 250-400$/day. Rather pay 20$ to take a ferry to Cozumel and once you land walk into the town square aprox 1 min walk. I had my fly rod on my back so I was quickly approached by many vendors. I negotiated with them and got a day trip for 150$/day which included everything; drinks, food, and a professional guide. My uncle was with me one day so it was 75$/person. My second day I was picked up by a guide named Nacho who owned his outfitting company and expecialy private water filled with Bone fish. All in all I landed a half dozen 3 to 4 lbs range which took 10-15 min per fish to land. They fight very hard. I am just an amatuer fly fisherman so with experience I would have done better. I missed a few baracuda that chased my fly.

I bought my flies from Bryant Freeman and Lloyd Lutes prior to going. The flies I got worked very well and the guides said that they were very nice. Instead of a cash tip I gave them each a few flies. I also took my Redington RS4 9' 9 weight rod with salt water floating line. Again Bryant Freeman was able to help me with the gear I needed to make my trip worth it. I do recommend taking your own gear as the gear I saw was not top notch looking.

The best time to go is in March and I was there in middle of Feb. The permit and tarpon show up in March as well as sailfish. From what Nacho told me the permit and sailfish is awesome until late may.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts