New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well opening day is almost here...like they say another 14 "sleeps"...lol

We were up in the Blackville area yesterday to do a bit of "shopping" and we noticed the water levels were very, very low for this time of year.

With that being said, could a person wade for black salmon or is the river too cold at this time of year? The only reason I'm asking, is I've never been black salmon fishing and do not own a boat...

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

MC

·
Registered
888 Posts
Last Friday I was lucky to go flying over the entire river system and yes indeedy she's all cleared out pretty much. Earliest ice run in a loooooong time. I guess we'll soon see how big of a role ice plays with spring salmon. Some say the fish'll all be gone by the 15 th, others say they won't make their run until a certain photoperiod and there will be plenty.
We'll soon find out.
Yes MC you can wade for black salmon easily. I'd say more people wade than use a boat. Sure it can be a tad cold but funny how you don't feel the cold when the fish are running hard. When you get cold, take a break, walk around, have a pop, get the blood flowing again and go back at 'er 10 mins later.
It's really not bad at all.
PS, don't fall in.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think it is more related to Water temps. The smelt wont come in to spawn until the tempt is right for them and the Salmon need to feed on the smelt to make it to there summer food sourses. Sea run trout Trout do not enter the System until the Temps are starting to hatch the Acquatic life, Just my 2 cents.. It is all about Temperature..

·
Registered
138 Posts
Alot of people fish off of shore at the park at Blackville. Especially in front of those cabins and grassed area just below where the bartholomew comes in. Not sure about access there though, but you'd be fine up by the park. With the ice running this year you shouldn't have to worry about ice pans and debris coming down river but I would still be cautious.

Bill G.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Sure can, wading can be very productive especially when the water is low, i usually make my first casts f close to shore then work my way out to as far as i can go safely, usually my waist and no higher, biggest concern is falling in..combination of high fast water and the temperature and a guy would be in a lot of trouble if he fell in.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am new to black salmon fishing. I would like to know some popular ''open to the public'' spot to fish black salmon. I don't have a boat but I have good chestwaders! As I only have a small car, these spot have to be very accessible!

Thank you!

·
Registered
438 Posts
As far as i know the entire watershed is open to public during spring salmon season..someone correct me if im wrong but thats always been my understanding, although becareful of crossing prvate property to access the river...i fish from shore from Boistown to Blackville, but seem to have the best éasiest fishing around Doaktown area ..i fish many of the spots i fish during the summer season, especially with the low water this year productive summer spots are usually really good for spring salmon also

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am new to black salmon fishing. I would like to know some popular ''open to the public'' spot to fish black salmon. I don't have a boat but I have good chestwaders! As I only have a small car, these spot have to be very accessible!

Thank you!
The MSW is open water to in May. Alot of wading in Doaktown and Blackvalley

·
Registered
2 Posts
hello every one im new to this forum is anyone as recent news on the river conditon around blackville and quarryville and if the fish will be there for opening season thank you

·
Registered
260 Posts
Private Ground is Still private year round , it is just that the locals residence don't Get to excited about you fishing Black Salmon on there property, If you are ask to leave do so , Don't tear up any private rds and leave No trash behind, most are good enough to let you fish but be respectful while you are standing on others private property. As always a little coutersity usually goes along ways.

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
Don't tear up any private rds and leave No trash behind, most are good enough to let you fish but be respectful while you are standing on others private property. As always a little coutersity usually goes along ways.
It's a shame that you had to remind people that, but unfortunatly there are some people who lack that part of social responsibility.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts