New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i am trying to find out some info out about the black river that is at the far end on the old black river rd ?? does allot of people fish it ? is it good fishing ? is there a sea run at all on it ?? any info would help thanks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
hi i am trying to find out some info out about the black river that is at the far end on the old black river rd ?? does allot of people fish it ? is it good fishing ? is there a sea run at all on it ?? any info would help thanks.
ive fished it before just basically where the bridge washed out i never caught anything there but my uncles and grandfather say they use to be a salmon run ..let me know if you have any luck thank

·
Registered
79 Posts
My dad used to fish the river 30 years ago and has caught grisle and sea trout.
I live on the other side of the river from you by the sounds of things. Out past Garnet Settlement.
To answer your question, not a lot of people fish it, the terrain is extreme and the river is almost impossible to hike in high water (spring and fall)
I began fishing the river a couple of years ago since moving back to NB.
The sea trout run in the spring, when the buds first show up on alders. Recommended fly is the muddler minnow.I release all trout on the river under 16". I have caught a couple 3 lbs or so last year. There is a theory out there that these trout run into Browns lake where they can also be caught in the spring. I have not had any luck in browns lake but then again I only fished it once.
Salmon: After June the river is fly fishing only. At least down stream from a brook( you would have to look in the book) but that brook is up steam quite a ways from from where the atv trail( the old black river road) meets the river at the bridge pool.
There are nice rapids and pools down stream from there, an even a tidal pool ( spin rod allowed)I was down to the river yesterday and fished down steam from the bridge pool and caught(and released)several brook trout- biggest one was around 14" and here is the kicker- I also caught several salmon fry. It looks like salmon are making a return. Back in the old days- even when the river had a good salmon population is was very hard to get salmon in the river to take. Fish it like you would the salmon river- with dry flies, or an old timer told me a tan bug with orange hackle used to work.

Best of luck and be careful down there, easy to fall and break an ankle- better to take someone with you. PS and if you ever fell in in high water you'd be dead in the rapids for sure.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i used to haunt black river. when my arms got to bad and i had to give up fly fishing, that is where i went for my last fly fishing experience...until wonder drugs!

like mentioned , there is a sea run of good size trout, and shore conditions are strangled alders. i have paddled and walked it for miles, often towing my kayak behind me as i waded down and up the river.

i was kayak fishing it once for trout, with a salmon fisherman wading the lower end of a pool. we were talking and suddenly the biggest salmon i have ever seen jumped clear over the bow of my kayak!!! it was amazzing!! the salmon fisher was offering me money if i caught it just to have a picture with it. it never hit anything i offered.

like mentioned, it`s not the easiest river to catch fish in, they make you work for it, but it`s beautifull in the foggy mornings....

·
Registered
79 Posts
i used to haunt black river. when my arms got to bad and i had to give up fly fishing, that is where i went for my last fly fishing experience...until wonder drugs!

like mentioned , there is a sea run of good size trout, and shore conditions are strangled alders. i have paddled and walked it for miles, often towing my kayak behind me as i waded down and up the river.

i was kayak fishing it once for trout, with a salmon fisherman wading the lower end of a pool. we were talking and suddenly the biggest salmon i have ever seen jumped clear over the bow of my kayak!!! it was amazzing!! the salmon fisher was offering me money if i caught it just to have a picture with it. it never hit anything i offered.

like mentioned, it`s not the easiest river to catch fish in, they make you work for it, but it`s beautifull in the foggy mornings....
ipop:

water is really good now, for so early in August. went down to the tidal pool today....saw a couple jump. That is a treacherous decent down to the pool! I don't fish upsteam of Naves falls, mostly because I see other anglers at Hopleys. I prefer to be alone with the dog! any fly suggestions for rapid pools?

·
Registered
79 Posts
ipop:

water is really good now, for so early in August. went down to the tidal pool today....saw a couple jump. That is a treacherous decent down to the pool! I don't fish upsteam of Naves falls, mostly because I see other anglers at Hopleys. I prefer to be alone with the dog! any fly suggestions for rapid pools?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
dan, i used a number of different flys, none specificly for the rapid pools that i can remember. the tan with orange hackle was a fairly common choice, as was tan with white wings. i would go very small with the last one for trout, and also olive and white wing or olive and tan wing. it seeams to me a size 10-12white and black winged and body fly (with or without a red butt)was very good walking down the river in the shallows mid summer, but they are very finicky there, so expect to change flies often. i would fish the bend down by where everybody parked in garnett settlement just to find what fly they were hitting (lots of smaller trout there to test on), then either go up or down from there, either walking of kayaking. a may fly drifted at dawn was an always go to, more for size than numbers.
some of the little feeder streams are great for trout in spring and early summer, a much harder fish later on. think floro leader and no indicator.
i had a trout breakfast today - yummy! they were skinny fish, looked like they hadn`t eaten in a while.

·
Registered
79 Posts
thanks for the advice, I had trout last night complements of emmerson creek I injured one badly so though I might as well take 5.
I found a fantastic pool yesterday, about half way from the falls to the old black river road...named it dans pool on my gps. funny how sometimes to get to a pool where you know there just has to be fish and no takers. lots of 12" trout in smaller pools easy to catch. you just know there is a big one or 2 there but they won't take. I was reading online about how they catch the browns at night in scotland- with a wake lure. sounded interesting.

cheers,
try to keep your feet dry

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
browns are easiest in or near darkness. now i think i would try a trout imitator fly for them if my first choices weren`t working. they like to eat fish as much as we do! lol! hmmm, i have a nice selection of "trout`s" streamers, now would be a good time to try them trolling from the kayak. i can`t remember trying them, or at least not trying them for long on black river. i wonder if trolling them up stream from the parking spot would work. it would take a lot of floating line out, and may be to twisty for that. i would probabley pick it apart as i worked up stream, casting instead of trolling. down stream, other than the pools, i "dabble" fish as i work my way along.

·
Registered
79 Posts
browns are easiest in or near darkness. now i think i would try a trout imitator fly for them if my first choices weren`t working. they like to eat fish as much as we do! lol! hmmm, i have a nice selection of "trout`s" streamers, now would be a good time to try them trolling from the kayak. i can`t remember trying them, or at least not trying them for long on black river. i wonder if trolling them up stream from the parking spot would work. it would take a lot of floating line out, and may be to twisty for that. i would probabley pick it apart as i worked up stream, casting instead of trolling. down stream, other than the pools, i "dabble" fish as i work my way along.
I'd like to build a secret cabin in a secret spot...would help with dusk fishin....could use a partner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts