New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I just started fishing last Saturday, bought myself a fishing rod with open-faced spinning reel to start with. I did some research on different topics within the forum, like fishing spots and the kind of fish one might be expecting before going out. I have been to the mouth of Nashwaak and mouth of Nashwaaksis as well as the pond just behind southside Homedepot. I was fishing on shore as i do no own a boat. So far, i have no success on any of them.

So, i went home and did more research. I found a lot of lures and baits, techniques for flipping and pitching, techniques on rigging and spots where fish might hides on. I went out again using soft plastic grub and nightcrawler on Texas rig with a ball sinker like a jig. Cast and retrieve was what i usually did. I still do not have any catch.

Like a kid, i would like to experience the excitement of the catch and motivate myself to go out for outdoor activities. I am not giving up yet.

I would like to get some recommendation on some easy-to-use lure and technique on using them which have proven success in Fredericton waters. Any advice and comments are welcomes. Thank you!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi,p

I just started fishing last Saturday, bought myself a fishing rod with open-faced spinning reel to start with. I did some research on different topics within the forum, like fishing spots and the kind of fish one might be expecting before going out. I have been to the mouth of Nashwaak and mouth of Nashwaaksis as well as the pond just behind southside Homedepot. I was fishing on shore as i do no own a boat. So far, i have no success on any of them.

So, i went home and did more research. I found a lot of lures and baits, techniques for flipping and pitching, techniques on rigging and spots where fish might hides on. I went out again using soft plastic grub and nightcrawler on Texas rig with a ball sinker like a jig. Cast and retrieve was what i usually did. I still do not have any catch.

Like a kid, i would like to experience the excitement of the catch and motivate myself to go out for outdoor activities. I am not giving up yet.

I would like to get some recommendation on some easy-to-use lure and technique on using them which have proven success in Fredericton waters. Any advice and comments are welcomes. Thank you!
hi there, you should pick up a #3 or #4 inline blue fox spinners ,colors silver or green and just throw and start reeling, bass,pickeral and perch love them, good luck

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hi edsa! Nice to see another new angler coming out. About 5 years ago I was in exactly the same situation as you are now. I'm still learning, but hang in there. I also found the mouth of the Nashwaak hit and miss from shore. It is fished a lot.

What are you interested in catching? Anything at all? The easiest fish in the area to catch is yellow perch. They are small (typically in the 7-10" range), but plentiful. Thee are a couple of easy ways to catch them. First you could just use a worm on a small hook, dangle it a couple of feet below a small bob, cast it out and just wait. If no hits at all in a few minutes you can try a few different spots, or you can adjust the distance between the bob and the hook. I usually set up my younger kids to fish this way as it is easier for them. My preferred method is to use a simple spinner with a hook and worm. I typically have a small weight about a foot above the spinner. I cast it out, let it sink a bit then retrieve slowly in fits and starts. I prefer this method because I find it less boring, but also because I have caught all sort of different fish this way - including bass and pickerel.

As for where, there are a couple of good spots that have been quite successful for me. I'd not want to eat the fish from either spot, but they did produce fish. One is the Nashwaaksis stream. You can get to it just behind the Northside Superstore. The other is one of the first places I ever took the kids because it had so many yellow perch in it. On the southside on the Lincoln Road, right at the city limits (just past the animal/vet place). There is a tiny brook going under the road that goes into a decent sized pool right beside the road. The water is dirty, but there was virtually a bite every cast - especially close to where the brook trickled into the pool. The bobber approach worked better here.

Good luck, and I hope this helps.

BobD

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey edsa it's great to see there is still intrest in fishing. I may not be the best at providing detailed on fishing hooks and spots. the spots you mentioned i fish as well. however i drop my line in any little brook and stream i come across. i fish along the saint john river near the mouth of the nashwaak as well as all along the nasis stream from behind the superstore to the mouth. you can also go to hart island camp ground and fish off their little warf. there is also kilarny lake.

if fishing these places i always love using just a plain spinner or red devil. my favorite spinners are mepps (i don't look at the size # just try to gauge the hook size to the size of the mouth of said target fish) i can say that the best mepps spinners i have are where the trebble hook is covered in little hairs. bass, pickerel, perch, trout and even muskie love these spinners. I also never use a worm on these. I find its not needed.

whenever i get to a small brook or beaver pond i use a worm and bobber. unless its a fast moving brook then i just use a gold colored swivel and a small black hook with a worm. i cast as far as i can with no weight then let the current take the worm down stream. this works really well i find for trout and perch and chub.

hope this helps you out some.

happy fishing and good luck!

·
Registered
438 Posts
For all of you new to fishing in Fredericton or new to fishing in general a great place to fish is at French lake in Geary, just outside of Oromocto, the Oromocto river runs through it and there are numerous easy places to fish from shore at the boat launches, a lot of fish in that system and a good variety, just an an hour and a half fishing this morning with worms and spinners my girlfriend and i caught atleast 2 dozen redbreasted and pumkinseed sunfish, a fall fish, 2 pickerel, 2 bullhead catfish and one smallmouth bass, and i caught a few sunfish and the bass on my fly rod, just look it up o google maps really easy place to get to,only a half hour from fredericton

·
Registered
492 Posts
For all of you new to fishing in Fredericton or new to fishing in general a great place to fish is at French lake in Geary, just outside of Oromocto, the Oromocto river runs through it and there are numerous easy places to fish from shore at the boat launches, a lot of fish in that system and a good variety, just an an hour and a half fishing this morning with worms and spinners my girlfriend and i caught atleast 2 dozen redbreasted and pumkinseed sunfish, a fall fish, 2 pickerel, 2 bullhead catfish and one smallmouth bass, and i caught a few sunfish and the bass on my fly rod, just look it up o google maps really easy place to get to,only a half hour from fredericton
Where do you fish it from shore? Most of the lake seems to be swamp at the edges. One side has the campground (great spot if you don't mind paying for a day pass). Directly across from park would work, but that looked like private property.

I agree it is a great place to fish!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Where do you fish it from shore? Most of the lake seems to be swamp at the edges. One side has the campground (great spot if you don't mind paying for a day pass). Directly across from park would work, but that looked like private property.

I agree it is a great place to fish!
Not exactly on the shore of the lake itself but at the public boat launches on the river just before the lake, where you cross the 1 lane bridge

·
Registered
492 Posts
Not exactly on the shore of the lake itself but at the public boat launches on the river just before the lake, where you cross the 1 lane bridge
Ahh, okay. Yes that is a great area to fish. You can probably walk along the shore of the river for a good ways there also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts