New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's going on these days on the Bartibog river, the run is probably there or gone by now eh? Any lucks yet?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Usually the little bartibog is earlier than the big bartibog, end of may beginning of june, but they could be later this year. I usually hit the big bartibog end of june beginning of july and have good luck.

·
122 Posts
Bud fished it last week, caught a 14 incher. Says the water's really high, there is a run right now (smaller fish) and they're shooting right up in this high water.

I personnaly think that if and when water levels recede, they will stack up in pools and should be good fishing all around. The wild strawberry run I call it...most always in sync with the little red fruits ripening...

Thight lines to all!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am home to Little Bartibog on Wednesday! Can't wait! Been living up in Northern Quebec for the last 6 months. I have been chasing Lakers up here with the fly, caught three in the last week, but I can't wait to get back on the Little and Big Bartibog and chase the elusive sea-run trout.
This might be my first year I am home when the run is on. Hopefully I can get into some good fishing this week.

I plan on running Goodfellows to the Bailey Bridge, or straight to the Hwy, so I will update on here how the fishing is going.

Keep your eyes peeled for suspicious characters, please. Last year my father and I were on the river and floated over Bishops pool, and it was loaded with large trout, and later that night a couple idiots came in and swept the pool clean. We also were camping up by Goodfellows one night and we heard trucks coming in after midnight. Once they heard us they peeled out of there in a hurry. I love this river and it is unfortunate some idiots have to take advantage of it like this. Please post on here if you see or hear any suspicious activities.

Thanks

·
122 Posts
I am home to Little Bartibog on Wednesday! Can't wait! Been living up in Northern Quebec for the last 6 months. I have been chasing Lakers up here with the fly, caught three in the last week, but I can't wait to get back on the Little and Big Bartibog and chase the elusive sea-run trout.
This might be my first year I am home when the run is on. Hopefully I can get into some good fishing this week.

I plan on running Goodfellows to the Bailey Bridge, or straight to the Hwy, so I will update on here how the fishing is going.

Keep your eyes peeled for suspicious characters, please. Last year my father and I were on the river and floated over Bishops pool, and it was loaded with large trout, and later that night a couple idiots came in and swept the pool clean. We also were camping up by Goodfellows one night and we heard trucks coming in after midnight. Once they heard us they peeled out of there in a hurry. I love this river and it is unfortunate some idiots have to take advantage of it like this. Please post on here if you see or hear any suspicious activities.

Thanks
I had similar incidents at Goodfellow a couple of times, I can relate to your dissapointment. Do you know where / how one could get a river map showing the pool names for the big Bog?

Thanks

PS: I'm torn between going to the Bog tonite of fishing the Nep for Atlantics....ahhhhhgggggg the choices a guy has to make!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had similar incidents at Goodfellow a couple of times, I can relate to your dissapointment. Do you know where / how one could get a river map showing the pool names for the big Bog?

Thanks

PS: I'm torn between going to the Bog tonite of fishing the Nep for Atlantics....ahhhhhgggggg the choices a guy has to make!
Bull's Eye,

Yeah, the tough choices a lad has to make. If you hit up the Bog, let me know what you see/catch.

Well, I only ran the Goodfellows to Bailey's twice, and only once coherent. The run we always do is from Bailey's to the Hwy. Short run with 5 or 6 nice salmon/trout pools (Green Brook, Rodney's Nook, Stewart's, Wallace's, Bishop's and then the bridge pool).

What I am going to do though, is bring my GPS and tag the pools from Goodfellows down to Bailey's. It's a nice run. About 4 hours with fishing. If you have a GPS I can pm you the coodinates. Some people are secretive with their spots, but I like to share with other avid fishermen. My motto is: the more fishermen on the wate and more traffic in and out of these pools, equals more eyes to watch for poachers.

I am heading out for one last night chasing lakers here is Qc. Heading to the in-laws on the Norwest wednesday, and then to the parents in Bartibog. Watch out salmon and trout. Fishing, what a great obsession. lol

Best of luck tonight whichever choice you make.

·
122 Posts
Thanks Fletch,

might take ya up on that offer. Haven't fished the Big Bog yet, as I'm trying to finish my hardwood staircase in the house, DIY project...

Will make some time this weekend to drown a fly or 2 that's for sure.

Thight lines to all,

·
Registered
36 Posts
I fished there all weekend..... 13.5 inch river trout on Saturday then 6 brights today...... from 10 to 14 inches..... good times!

·
122 Posts
I fished there all weekend..... 13.5 inch river trout on Saturday then 6 brights today...... from 10 to 14 inches..... good times!
The water was really high wasn't it? fished the upper, middle or lower section?

I stopped at the highway bridge Thursday nite and figured I would give her a few days to go down...

Good stuff!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was just using worm and hook but the folks were having luck yesterday with the fly. I went there this morning and only managed one 10 inch river trout...

·
Registered
18 Posts
The water came up a few feet on saturday and I'm assuming it came up a bit yesterday... I'm hoping for clear sunny sky's the next few days, might head up on the weekend and see if there's any trout still going.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Update on the BOG.

River was full with fishermen last night. My brother and I ran the Bailey's to HWY 8. Saw three fishermen walking up from Greenbrook. They said they only had one. Fished one of the last pools on the run and got nothing. Didn't really see anything either. Talked with another couple lads and they said they hooked a monster but lost it.

I had a lot better luck on the Little Bog this morning. Went to my honey hole at 530 am and hooked a 9 inch river and a 9 inch sea-trout. Forgot the drastic differnce in colour. Then I hooked a nice 13 inch sea-run. And then I hooked a monster, fought like a grilse for about 20 seconds, splashing and bending my 9ft 9wt rod real nice, and then I lost it. Fish were breaking water in the alders all morning! Can't wait until tomorrow!

Heading up to the Dungarvon tonight to chase some Atlantics.

The water came up a few feet on saturday and I'm assuming it came up a bit yesterday... I'm hoping for clear sunny sky's the next few days, might head up on the weekend and see if there's any trout still going.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Fletch, thanks for the update. Just curious as to what you mean by "Fished one of the last pools on the run". Is this just a particular pool that traditionally the trout haven't gone further than?

Update on the BOG.

River was full with fishermen last night. My brother and I ran the Bailey's to HWY 8. Saw three fishermen walking up from Greenbrook. They said they only had one. Fished one of the last pools on the run and got nothing. Didn't really see anything either. Talked with another couple lads and they said they hooked a monster but lost it.

I had a lot better luck on the Little Bog this morning. Went to my honey hole at 530 am and hooked a 9 inch river and a 9 inch sea-trout. Forgot the drastic differnce in colour. Then I hooked a nice 13 inch sea-run. And then I hooked a monster, fought like a grilse for about 20 seconds, splashing and bending my 9ft 9wt rod real nice, and then I lost it. Fish were breaking water in the alders all morning! Can't wait until tomorrow!

Heading up to the Dungarvon tonight to chase some Atlantics.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts