New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying a new rod for bass and pickerel fishing and I am not sure if I should get a baitcast rod or spinning rod. What are the advantages of have a baitcast.
I also heard that baitcasts backlash, is that true and how could I prevent it.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I am buying a new rod for bass and pickerel fishing and I am not sure if I should get a baitcast rod or spinning rod. What are the advantages of have a baitcast.
I use both but prefer to use my baitcast. They will backlash if they are not set up correctly but that only takes a few seconds and then you can cast without even thumbing the reel. I find the baitcast more accurate and I can cast with either left or right hand wich comes in handy when you are in a boat and don't always get the best spot for a spinning reel. If you buy a baitcast reel don't buy a cheapy from Walmart or Canadian Tire, get th ebest you can afford from a real tackle shop. I get mine at Bass Tackle Plus in Saint John, Donny has good prices and he will take you outside and show you how to set it up and cast properly.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I like both, but prefer spin cast as i carry extra spools with differnt weights and types of line. Easy to swap spools as some times I fish for different species in the run of a 12 hour day...lol.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I use both!The big difference between spinning and baitcast reels,other than the spool, is that the baitcast reel, you can put bigger line,all the info I read on baitcasters, suggest 12 pound test and over! Basically it's like a little winch.For smaller lures,3/8 oz and under, a spinning reel is way better!I started using a baitcast reel a few years ago,and if you get one, get the Diawa brand, I find that the braking system for the spool is one of the best! Don't be surprised to pay $130,$150 for something that's gonna last and be easy to use!Don't worry about the backlashes,it's gonna happen!Just practice, that's all you need.Go on You Tube, that's where I got all the info o casting baitcaster reels!For a very good selection of reels, go on the Bass Pro shops web site!You get to reed customer reviews ,and the prices are very good.Cheaper than Canadian prices.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I use both!The big difference between spinning and baitcast reels,other than the spool, is that the baitcast reel, you can put bigger line,all the info I read on baitcasters, suggest 12 pound test and over! Basically it's like a little winch.For smaller lures,3/8 oz and under, a spinning reel is way better!I started using a baitcast reel a few years ago,and if you get one, get the Diawa brand, I find that the braking system for the spool is one of the best! Don't be surprised to pay $130,$150 for something that's gonna last and be easy to use!Don't worry about the backlashes,it's gonna happen!Just practice, that's all you need.Go on You Tube, that's where I got all the info o casting baitcaster reels!For a very good selection of reels, go on the Bass Pro shops web site!You get to reed customer reviews ,and the prices are very good.Cheaper than Canadian prices.
I am with him on the Daiwa brand. i started on that brand and it came to me very fast and the breaking system is great. You will probably still backlash here and there but not as bad as you would with others. Just practice..

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I have 3 Pflueger baitcast reels and they are awsome. Got 2 of them from Bass Tackle Plus here in Saint John, and Donny showed me how to set them up to cast without birdnesting them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts