New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
well got back after supper last night from Squirrel Falls...after a 12 hour recovery sleep I'm ready to share a bit of the story... it was a fantastic trip!..we all hooked into fish, but not all of us landed them. Denis managed to hook and land 3 grilse, Aaron hooked and landed 2 grilse, Ray hooked for sure 2 big salmon (they jumped out of water) and another that was on momentarily but we didn't see what it was... and myself I hooked 4 big salmon, the first I had it on long enough for it to jump out of the water, the second I had on a few minutes it too jumped quite a bit before long line releasing and the third.. well, first I'll say that I hooked the previous 2 salmon on a red butt white calf tail green machine (Denis had hooked the first 2 grilse of the trip on that fly)... I hooked the first 2 salmon about 10 minutes apart.. then about a half hour later Aaron hooked and landed a grilse on a brown deer hair orange hackle white calf tail bomber.. then the pool was kind of silent for a bit... so I decided to make a fly change but I only made a slight change to the fly... Salmon Fever (Scott) had tied me up some of his favorite patters, those that seem to work the best.. in the set of 12 fly patterns he tied for me, it had a green machine with a red butt but a copper crystal flash tail... well that's what I tied on... it wasn't 10 casts later and I hooked into my 3rd salmon... this time I managed to keep the fish on... had it to shore it 11 minutes and held it in the water for about 6 minutes to revive the fish, she swam away on her own power easily... got it all on video!! and the fourth fish, was the morning of the third day, all the boys were there, we were hoping for Ray to hook into and land a fish.. so Ray was fishing the top of the pool where I had hooked my first 3 fish, even gave him the same fly and showed him how I fished the pool (I hooked all 4 salmon by fishing the pool the exact same way).. Aaron was fishing the bottom of the pool and Denis and I were waiting with cameras in hand hoping to get video footage... Ray fished for several hours before he said we should join them fishing... by this time he had moved off the "sweet spot".. so I climbed over there and sure enough withing a short period of time using the green machine with the red butt and copper crystal flash (exact same fly I had caught the big one on the night before) fishing the exact same way I hooked into the 4th fish with all the Boys there... Denis was on the other side of the pool and got video footage of the fish jumping.. we are certain it was bigger than the one I landed the evening before.. non of the boys other than Ray had seen a fish that big...I had it on for about 5 minutes then it wrapped me up on a stick in the pool and broke off and took my copper crystal flash red butt white calftail green machine with her... oh poor me.. LOL LOL I got's more of them! LOL

We saw 2 moose, 2 bear and 3 fawns and 1 doe... the camp is a lob cabin and in ok shape, the tin roof plays a great tune in the rain (oh there was periodic rain each day.. we had a good rain friday evening just before Aaron and I had hooked our fish, water level appeared to have come up as Thursday night it had rained pretty good too). I'd go back again, the only walking we did was down the stairs and down the path (path is dangerous, we all fell several times over roots and getting foot stuck in what seemed like quick sand mud puddles), brought atv's to bring us to the stairs.. they cleared the road down to the stairs you can easily take a 4x4 truck down there and not have to worry about scratching it up.. buddy's bike broke down.. I towed it along with Aaron and Denis on the broke down bike and Ray and I on my bike.. back up that hill to the camp.. the Ol' foreman is working pretty good right now! lol the trailer Aaron borrowed we had to Red Green it with a block of wood in the spring shackle to keep the tire from wearing a bigger hole in trailer floor... oh and when you get to a camp and there is a path/road with a yellow sign with a salmon on it.. it's best to go down that path... never listen to a guy with a gps ( that would be me!)... LOL our fist afternoon we managed to fish the lowest 3 pools of the stretch because of my error (grilse was caught though so never a wasted walk) however we didn't have to walk 3km there and 3 km back either however it was a rough walk down through the woods (260 meters down then back up again to the bikes) LOL

I don't have any still shots of my fish yet, gotta figure out how to get a copy from the video footage.. I think it was easily 40 inches long.. not even sure what a fish like that would weigh... I'm guessing it was 20 or 25 lbs? it felt like it weight at least that much anyhow.

anyhow that's my story... never saw so many large salmon hookin up on one pool! hopefully I'll be able to see that again! oh and the new Reddington 9wt that I bought.. (after Seeing Zamboni-guy's fly rod, he has the same one).. worked great!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
should be noted to that I'm not a Salmon Virgin anymore!! took me 5 years of getting up there as often as I could either via crown reserve of day trips... all the money spent in gas and equipment is all forgotten about when you hook and land one of the big ones!

·
Registered
26 Posts
sounds awesome chadman!!! glad you enjoyed the camp and trip!!! what pool ended up being your favorite? did you end up getting to the upriver pools?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sounds awesome chadman!!! glad you enjoyed the camp and trip!!! what pool ended up being your favorite? did you end up getting to the upriver pools?
Thanks! my favorite is the one I hooked the 4 salmon in, Long Falls pool. Yup we hit the last 3 pools on the stretch, think it was squirrel pool, squirrel falls pool and the ledge pool and we also hit the 3 pools up where the road crosses further up river (about a 25 minute ride on the atv's). We hooked into fish in both areas, fish all through the squirrel falls stretch.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Chad good to here you had a great trip !!! I think I passed you on the 126 heading up fishing myself ! I had one of the most difficult trips ever ... I was actualy standing in fish knee deep and not a taker !! And the ammt. of ppl. on the river was amazing I have never seen so many ppl. at different pools.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Wicked trip for this time of year for sure! That's awesome to hook into those small tropedos.

Nice to hear the flies worked. Sounds like you may need a few replacements.

·
Registered
26 Posts
thats awesome. Long falls pool standing on the flat rock at the top casting to the left just passed the foam and let the current do the work eh! i was disapointed i never went to the trash heap pool area, but fell in love with squirrel falls pool and long falls pool that it was hard letting them go without a fly in the water. Something about fishing from a waterfall knowing any second your line can go tight is breathtaking. You had no luck at bridge pool? did you see many fish jump?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chad good to here you had a great trip !!! I think I passed you on the 126 heading up fishing myself ! I had one of the most difficult trips ever ... I was actualy standing in fish knee deep and not a taker !! And the ammt. of ppl. on the river was amazing I have never seen so many ppl. at different pools.
Thanks Jamie.. you probably should have put in for that crown reserve mini draw stretch eh? : )

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wicked trip for this time of year for sure! That's awesome to hook into those small tropedos.

Nice to hear the flies worked. Sounds like you may need a few replacements.
ya a couple more red butt white calf tail and copper tail green machines would be nice, seeing I gave a couple away to my fishin buddies, leaving me with 1 fly of each for now.. so if you get an urge to tie a few up, let me know I'll come pick up! lol honestly.. I need a few more.. think you can tie some up for me?? please?????

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thats awesome. Long falls pool standing on the flat rock at the top casting to the left just passed the foam and let the current do the work eh! i was disapointed i never went to the trash heap pool area, but fell in love with squirrel falls pool and long falls pool that it was hard letting them go without a fly in the water. Something about fishing from a waterfall knowing any second your line can go tight is breathtaking. You had no luck at bridge pool? did you see many fish jump?
yup, only difference is I let my line lay in the rapid so it was pulling it down in the pool.. just put enough line out to cast to that far side letting the fly dangle in the middle of the pool.. and just letting it sit for a minute or two, then give it a couple of tugs.. let it sit and tug again.. til you have to cast again.. all the fish hit in the middle of the drag through the pool. Ya we made it to where the road crosses the river but due to buddies bike having a flat tire.. we decided to not go the extra 10 minutes to those upper last pools.. perhaps next time we get drawn. I didn't hook anything at bridge pool but my buddy Aaron caught a nice grilse there. other than the fishing jumping at long falls pool we mostly saw fish laying in the pools with the odd fish jumping in bridge pool. was hoping to see fish jump squirrel falls but no such luck as we didn't spend much time there.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
managed to pull a few pics from the video.. not the best but still get a decent view of her

1 - 14 of 14 Posts