New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my dad are going to try and catch a baby pickerel and put it in our fish tank with a minnow trap and i have a few questions.
1. what type of bait should i use
2. what fish should i feed it (example: guppies,goldfish...)
3. how deep should i put the trap.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You don't need to run a minnow trap, get a good dipnet and check marshy areas along your favorite pickeral waters. As for the rest I have no idea.

·
Streamside Pro Staff ><(((*>
2,366 Posts
I believe it's a sportfish, and as such it would be illegal to keep one in an aquarium as far as I understand. Check with DNR first.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I believe it's a sportfish, and as such it would be illegal to keep one in an aquarium as far as I understand. Check with DNR first.
Pickerel are considered non sportfish but the live transportation of one might be an issue..but im not sure .if you do decide to catch one remember that pickerel grow VERY fast...a baby a few inches long this year will be darn near a foot long next year...although aquarium conditions might stop him from growing so fast. Ive got a few creek chub in my tank now for over a year , caught them last winter for icefishing bait, had 4 left at the end so i put them in....they will eat nyihtng you put in there...the biggest guy will eat small fish...found that out when i put him in he cleaned out all of my tetras lol baby pickerel might be a goos start to feed him night crawlers until he gets big enough

·
Registered
351 Posts
A buddy of mine had one few years back . He got it in a minnow trap . Let's just say it ate everything in the tank that was smaller and the same size. He just feed it worms after it cleaned out the tank.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A buddy of mine had one few years back . He got it in a minnow trap . Let's just say it ate everything in the tank that was smaller and the same size. He just feed it worms after it cleaned out the tank.
the fish 2011 book says its a non sport fish, but could i still keep one as a pet and when it gets big enough let it go back into the lake?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts