New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well... had the great opportunity to meet my first 2 asses on the river yesterday.... me and my 2 buddies showed up at a pool only to find no one there... so I started in and fished down a little.. then Aaron came in behind me and we both moved down a little and then Ray come in third... both Aaron and Ray both had to wait in order to get into the pool.... well just as all 3 of us are into the pool.... we hear a car park.... 2 old guys came down.. set up their rods...then started walking down to the tail end of the pool.. I hollered at them asking them where they were going.. he said down to the end as we were starting the pool and he claimed we were in the pool... standing in a foot of water when the actual pool is probably closer to 5 ft of water.. what a tool.... so anyway we exchanged words the whole time they were fishing the end of the pool... and as they came up to fish the top, we exchanged words again, several times... There was one guy who showed up on his own, who started at the top of the pool and I asked his opinion on this and he said everyone starts at the top of the pool...the great thing about showing up at a pool first, is to be the one to fish the whole pool first!! I just felt like walking down there and throwing rocks in the water while they fished.. that's how mad i was... anyhow I'm still bothered by it and can expect something similar to happen again and I do have a plan should I show up there and they are fishing... I'm gonna go down about 20 yards from them and start fishing, same as they did to me... I don't forget faces and I don't forget vehicles either...so I'll know if they are there or not when I show up at the pool.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Doesn't surprise me! My dad quit fishing in 1991 because of idiots like that! I've been in many of those situations and if we did something like that, they would freak out and blame Moncton!

What pool were you fishing and what river? Just curious if it's where I had some issues with local bums over the years.

Same thing happens quite often just above Quarryville in the Renous in front of Riverside lodge especially in June when the fish are moving through. A local as$ by the name of Duncan does whatever he wants when he wants. Another one is Mike Morrison. That guy use to be nice and helpfull now he's just a yappy arsehole. Can't shut his mouth. Has to growl at anybody new that fishes. I feel sorry for people starting out fishing and having to get bullied by these types of morons. Just as bad as that other retard Sam who tries to run th Quarryville main pool. Never shuts up and keeps harping about out of town people and french guys. I was so happy to hear that some big Newfoundlander grabbed a hold of him last summer and dunked his head in the river.

There's another retard that fishes the renous at the mentioned spots. His last name is Duffy and he drives a white and tan coloured older style ford truck. When I remember his name I will post it. Always cranky about people fishing and will even casts over your line if you have a fish on and have to walk down past him. He tried that this year on one fishermen and they just about got into a swinging match. The only thing that kept it from happening is the guy had a fish on and the moron decided to leave before he landed the fish.

And all of these idiots get real jealous when you hook fish and they don't. I love when that happens!

·
Registered
250 Posts
well... had the great opportunity to meet my first 2 asses on the river yesterday.... me and my 2 buddies showed up at a pool only to find no one there... so I started in and fished down a little.. then Aaron came in behind me and we both moved down a little and then Ray come in third... both Aaron and Ray both had to wait in order to get into the pool.... well just as all 3 of us are into the pool.... we hear a car park.... 2 old guys came down.. set up their rods...then started walking down to the tail end of the pool.. I hollered at them asking them where they were going.. he said down to the end as we were starting the pool and he claimed we were in the pool... standing in a foot of water when the actual pool is probably closer to 5 ft of water.. what a tool.... so anyway we exchanged words the whole time they were fishing the end of the pool... and as they came up to fish the top, we exchanged words again, several times... There was one guy who showed up on his own, who started at the top of the pool and I asked his opinion on this and he said everyone starts at the top of the pool...the great thing about showing up at a pool first, is to be the one to fish the whole pool first!! I just felt like walking down there and throwing rocks in the water while they fished.. that's how mad i was... anyhow I'm still bothered by it and can expect something similar to happen again and I do have a plan should I show up there and they are fishing... I'm gonna go down about 20 yards from them and start fishing, same as they did to me... I don't forget faces and I don't forget vehicles either...so I'll know if they are there or not when I show up at the pool.
Could be the same dudes that did this to me on the Dungarven couple weeks back; stayed overnight in my car to be first thru the pool only to have them step in 30 yards in front of me and catch 2 grilse.

·
Banned
65 Posts
I refuse to fish Quarryville for the very reason's mentioned above. I don't need the hassle when there are other places to go.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Thats what i love about the spot i fish in Priceville, its not a big pool that everyone flocks to or tries to have for themselves, more of a real deep run, not very long but it holds a lot of fish, most of the time you have it to yourself, there are a few local guys that fish it once in awhile but ive found them all to be very pleasant to fish with and very helpful also. The other day i got there and there was already one fella there fishing, he was on the opposite bank fishing so instead of crossing over i just fished my side, but further up the pool then where he had made his way to, i raised one fish at the top but never saw anymore, he had landed a grilse shortly after that and yelled to me to come over, showed me exactly where he had hooked it, and where he has raised fish in the past, and gave me a fly he had caught it on. Pêople like that are the ones that make salmon fishing enjoyable, not the ones who hog the pool, yell at people constantly, cross lines on purpose ect ect...it hsnt happend to me yet but the day it does i suspect someone is going for a swim

·
Registered
124 Posts
Pond Jumper - that's what salmon fishing should be about. Comradery, friendlyness and showing each other new things whether it be a new fly or a certain riffle or rock where fish are holding. Way to many people on the Miramchi are greedy.

I often will give a fly to someone and hopefully he will tie it on and catch a fish. If it works for me then I have no issues sharing my knowledge. I did that this year to one older guy and he caught a fish on it. He was very thankfull. Another older guy was fighting a fish and I gave him a hand when it got close and grabbed ahold of it and carried it up over the bank so he could bonk it on the head and put his tag on it.

Most people are good but the bad ones sure stick out!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Pond Jumper - that's what salmon fishing should be about. Comradery, friendlyness and showing each other new things whether it be a new fly or a certain riffle or rock where fish are holding. Way to many people on the Miramchi are greedy.

I often will give a fly to someone and hopefully he will tie it on and catch a fish. If it works for me then I have no issues sharing my knowledge. I did that this year to one older guy and he caught a fish on it. He was very thankfull. Another older guy was fighting a fish and I gave him a hand when it got close and grabbed ahold of it and carried it up over the bank so he could bonk it on the head and put his tag on it.

Most people are good but the bad ones sure stick out!
GM and Pond your right, sad thing is Chadman is one of those anglers that do respect others, before this blog I never knew Chadman reading some of his posts and efforts he has done to locate pools I sent him a message and offered to take him to the area he was targeting. I would have to say that there is a far bigger community of respectable anglers then the bad seeds only way to curb the bad ones is flood the more common pools with people that are 100% respectful. Eventualy the bad ones will just move on ! One thing did bother me when a poster mentioned roofing nails in the pouching blog I know it's frustrating but that is the wrong way to deal with things. I for one would be pissed if I was just an average Joe wanting to fish and 180KM away from home with 4 flat tires because of some renegade fisherman targeting an idiot. I suggest be nice talk to ppl. and help so these ppl. that ignorace only comes from the ppl. you don't wanna meet.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do my best to respect others, I've given flies away, I've picked up garbage left by others at pools, I tell people what fly i'm using if I happen to hook anything and if I don't know what fly it is I show them, I had 2 guys go home and tie a fly similar to what I had on and they both managed to hook a fish the next time I saw them at that pool and they both told me they went by memory of the fly I had on (which now I know is the LT Special).. I've showed 4 or 5 guys one evening at a pool how to tie the duncan loop knot... I've not tagged every fish I landed... I'll chit chat with damn near anyone who is waiting for their turn to get into a pool or even if we are in a pool a little conversation never hurt anyone... I think I'm doing everything I can do to ensure that anyone around me isn't bothered by my doings on the river and I don't try to give them a reason to be bothered either... we're all out there to have a relaxing peaceful day, hooking into a fish is just icing on the cake.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts