New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
something I noticed I'm a bug watcher, but not a fellow that ties flies the butter flies changed color over the last 2 weeks those innocent butter flies that flutter all around the water thier body changed from yellow to blue, makes sense that a blue charm would entice more action! Any fly I use when starting is based on what I see and match the colors. Lahaves and GM are probably aware of what i'm talking about I'm just posting this for the ones that get on the river and not sure what fly to use take a moment look around and see what would be hovering the water that will piss off a salmon and start from there. Once again another nice fly GM.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Beautiful fly right there.

ZG
I tie most of my butterflies with Polar Bear ( I dye my own in many colors) for the translucent effect but some are tied with different materials for a wing to get the flutter ...well because sometimes in certain water conditions thats whats needed...LOL...Not really sure that Mr Ingals intended to imitate a natural butterfly when he invented that fly I think it was more intended that the V-Wing adding movement in the water??

...anyways I don't know much other than when I tie it on and it works ...stick with it
Here is a White Winged Blue Charm I just finished about 15 minutes ago.

·
Registered
298 Posts
if you look at the tips of the natural butterfly (the ones that are fluttering along the river) there are 3 colors follow that from body towards the next color we are at blue next is orange, As I said not a person that ties though gonna give it a shot. My flies are based on the enviroment I say with the weather in another week we will be fishing an orange pattern.

·
Registered
9 Posts
if you look at the tips of the natural butterfly (the ones that are fluttering along the river) there are 3 colors follow that from body towards the next color we are at blue next is orange, As I said not a person that ties though gonna give it a shot. My flies are based on the enviroment I say with the weather in another week we will be fishing an orange pattern.
I have heard that when a salmon first enters a river from salt they are still attracted to the colors of the sea. Blue, white, black, silver, green and gold. As they are in fresh water a film forms over their eyes for protection from moving sand in the river. They have no eye lids. This gives a different available spectrum of color and changes to orange, red and purple as the season progresses.

The black and white are retained as they are the only colors that a salmon can see in the absence of light. Blue is the last color available with minimal light.

So I think that you are correct in thinking that the colors will change. I also think I am going to tie up a few of those White Wing Charms as the color combination looks really nice. Here in the states we can not own Polar Bear but I can see the fly using a bit of Arctic Fox over a pinch of calf tail.

Are any of you fishing Stone Flies? Been a real taker for me.

William

1 - 5 of 5 Posts