New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie with lots of years of fishing, but never caught a Striper. Noticed the blog essentially ends in June. Are the Stripers gone from our area after June? Are they still in the Bay? Can they be caught from a boat in Chance or Dipper Harbour, or Maces Bay this time of the year? I was at Five Islands, Nova Scotia (Minas Basin) last weekend and folks at the RV campground were bragging about catching them during the night (high tide) in the shallows. Makes me think that areas like theMaces Bay Basin must have similar characteristics to Five Islands? Please let me know if I'm wasteing my time thinking about Stripers this time of the year.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yes you can catch them from the surf.It isn't nearly as popular as it is in NS.In the Bay in NB the best fishing hasn't even started yet.You can fish until you freeze and still catch them.If you need any advice ask away!Where are you located?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
nbmudman has it right, stripers are really just starting here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks NBmudman!

Gonna take the boat out about an hour before high tide on Sunday on Maces Bay. Any recommendations for where to look for them? Mouth of Lepreau river maybe or in the Maces Bay basin near the bridge? What do you use for lures and what method from a boat? Saw an early post mention Storm green eels. Do you cast and retrive them or let them sit?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Id hit the mouth of the Lepreau, ive seen guys fishing schoolies right below the falls there often, might get the bigger guys out near the mouth

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Pond-Jumper. I will try the mouth and the basin as well. If that doesn't work I'll set the downriggers and troll to see if I can find them. I'll post the results

·
Registered
64 Posts
I personally just shore fish in the surf, in muddy water conditions.Do as much scoutin as you can.River mouths are always good places to start.Look for places with some structure to fish; changes on the bottom, and very importantly look for baitfish.Night fishing is very productive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks NBmudaman.

Worked the mouth of Lepreau on the 5pm tide(approx) using green eels....nothing. Chased some bait balls further out from the mouth and also got nothing. Anyone finding Strpers?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Thanks NBmudaman.

Worked the mouth of Lepreau on the 5pm tide(approx) using green eels....nothing. Chased some bait balls further out from the mouth and also got nothing. Anyone finding Strpers?
I think the only sure bet right now is at the pulp mill in a boat. There are probably some stripers swimming along the coast but getting into them is a very hit or miss thing and you'll do best from boat, but there are few if any boat launches near some of the best lookings areas. Things should pick up later on in the month as it is already getting cooler at night. Once the herring and mackerel start running heavy, the bass will be not far behind them. The big problem we have is not enough bass to make surf fishing productive until the american fish start swimming by us just before they turn around to go back down the coast to over winter.
I don't have the surf mastered yet and I doubt many people around here have done very well in recent years judging by the lack of people at spots like lepreau etc. However, I did get into a mess of stripers one week 3 years ago along the Saint John beaches. We were wondering where all the schoolies went at the falls and I just stumbled into them along the beach at the end of September. All it took was one little herring to jump out of the water and a seagull to swoop down to tell me there were bass down there. For 45mins I didn't reel in without having a striper on the end of my line. I hooked and lost 3 before I even reeled in 40 feet. Too bad I had to go to the hockey game with the wife. I did well the rest of the week, but never one after another like that. I've fished these spots off and on since then and never have had even a bite.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Another spot to try closer to SJ is Mispec river. I know guys who were fishing flounder at the mouth and caught a few small stripers. There is a nice sandbar there and I've seen lots of baitfish around that area before. It could be a real killer spot if you put your time in to figure it out. I never knew you could catch stripers in the spring, especially since the season was closed... until I saw dozens of stripers in the river in late april. I went from catching 5 or less stripers a year to over 100 and losing count. Sight fishing them in shallow water gives you the best education on their behavoir, what lures they like how to make them like those lures.

Not long after I started fishing stripers, I tried night fishing, with little more than a few follows. Then one day I read about guys in the US using needlefish (wooden) at night and just reeling them in slowly without action and doing well. So I tried this and voila, I caught stripers at night. Then I figured out that slow and lots of vibration is the way to go and I did even better.

Success in striper fishing is all about taking the time to try new things, discovering new spots and figuring out nature's clock and how it relates to the striper's movements... or how it doesn't always relate. Searching fishing reports from the Delaware river to Cape Breton helps by showing us the movements of the different runs and how and if it effects the productivity of our local spots. Pay attention to things like how the herring fishery is this year or ask a weir fishermen what he's catching or not catching lately. Pick the brain of anyone and everyone who fishes recreationally or commercially... especially commercial fishermen as they know what's in the water and when better than anyone else.

From what I've learned in my fishing areas, late april to the end of june is good in the rivers and july is a good time to get ready for late august until the end of october.

The surf may or may not be worth spending a lot of time on especially since we haven't had any big runs lately. The next frontier I believe is the lower SJ and Kennebecasis rivers in the deep sections. It is like an inland sea and the water temperatures are much cooler. If you were knowledgeable about downrigging and had a good fish finder, I bet you could find some schools of hungry stripers in 50' plus of water. Umbrella rigs would be ideal for this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts