New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last couple of days Ive been hearing some not so nice things about Renthforth and has led me to wonder weather Associations are good or bad ...

Now I know there is no association this year due to a couple factors, one being the safety of the ice. There was actually an article in the paper yesteday confirming this..

My first few years of haveing my own shack I belonged to the association there and was happy to be apart of it .. Some great people , lots of help around when needed and well run...I really couldnt complain, and I was all for the association until one year I recieved a call to attend a meeting.The meeting kind of got to me , It was about missing money and who shouldnt be in charge and just allot of bickering and BS , So I said thats enough of this s%$t for me and havent been back since...

The lastest Ive heard of Renforth comes down to a complete lack of respect to your fellow fisherman.. I wont go into details other the the jist of the story is that since there is no association controlling the placement of shacks some people feel they have the right to plunk there shack down anywhere they feel, including infront of an existing shack...
Now I know nobody owns the ice therefore you can put your shack whereever you desire but come on, have a little respect for your neighbours and dont crowd others... I think in the past the association did a great job in organising the placement of shacks so this kind of thing doesnt happen..It may irratate you a little being told where to place your shack but it really is for the good of the ice fishing community.. It allows for easy plowing of the ice, clear unabstracted access to your shack, Parking on the ice close to the shack , and My biggest consern is the ability to remove your shack at any time and not interfer or disturbe your neighbours shack in any way.. Id hate to damage someone elses property because they have obstructed my ability to move but I would do it if I had too, and would hate even more for someone else to damage my shack !

So all in all I believe having an association in an area like renforth that sees allot of shacks a positive thing .. Im sure like the article says they will be back bigger and better next year .. Im curiuos to know how others feel about associations ..

There are a few things that really grinds my gears that I see out on the ice that would be nice to try to eliminate.
1: Garbage !! Pick up after yourself,Beer bottles , food wrappers, Shack material blowing al over the ice .Theres no need of it .
2: As above dont crowd your neighbour
3: Chewing up the entrance to the ice is the last thing. If the entrance to the ice is soft stay off if for a day or to to let it set back up.. A nice access to the ice is appriciated by all especially the people nice enough to plow a road ..

Hope you are all haveing a good year , Ill be back out next year ..

·
Registered
428 Posts
I've heard a lot more bad than good about that association. They do a good job at keeping the place plowed and providing garbage removal etc though. Every association suffers from personal agendas, grudges between members and an array of other problems from time to time. Maybe things will improve. I'd sure like to see the ice fishing derby like it used to be.

There is more drinking and other activities than fishing going on down there anyways. I put up a shack for only two years in different locations and didn't care too much for some of the company... especially after the sun goes down. Not to mention having to mend knife slits every week caused by people looking for something to steal.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
i was a member there for a few years. they might have told me where to set up once, i frankly don't remember, but i just set up at the end of the line i wanted or in one case started a new row. it was mostly a pleasant experience. doing $1600 damage to my van leaving the ice one day wasn't, but i suppose it wasn't their fault they piled the snow on a big boulder...frustrating, but i should have remembered they moved the boulders.

with the tide breaking up the ice edge twice a day, sometimes truck access is just going to be limited. that doesn't mean people can't use common sence though. an association can put up signs asking to keep trucks off for a couple days/weeks to stop problems. trying to use a tow truck to put a shack on 8" of ice is just plane dumb, but i see it every other year or so, association or not. so i guess in their case i'm sort of for it. the fact that a lot of the people there pulled out to set up in other places the last couple years should send them a clear message that people are not pleased how they have opperated lately - millidge ave. for instance has gone from a shack or 2 up to a community now in that same time period.

i'm still tempted to put my shack up this year, i'm jonesing to use my woodstove, but with a month max to use it.....weeeeell!

i can only think of one association that works well - hammond river salmon ass. i have been a member there a few times...maybe i'll actualy show up for a meeting some time...lol!!!

the reversing falls striper ass. is useless or worse than useless, causing nothing but arguements and bad feelings (who has the trophy!!! they know who has it, it was year by year but they just decided to keep it?! send a cop/sherrif to get it back, and since the paper sponcered it, send a camera man too.)

i'm sure there are other ass. that work, i just can't think of any right now...

·
Registered
357 Posts
The last couple of days Ive been hearing some not so nice things about Renthforth and has led me to wonder weather Associations are good or bad ...

Now I know there is no association this year due to a couple factors, one being the safety of the ice. There was actually an article in the paper yesteday confirming this..

My first few years of haveing my own shack I belonged to the association there and was happy to be apart of it .. Some great people , lots of help around when needed and well run...I really couldnt complain, and I was all for the association until one year I recieved a call to attend a meeting.The meeting kind of got to me , It was about missing money and who shouldnt be in charge and just allot of bickering and BS , So I said thats enough of this s%$t for me and havent been back since...

The lastest Ive heard of Renforth comes down to a complete lack of respect to your fellow fisherman.. I wont go into details other the the jist of the story is that since there is no association controlling the placement of shacks some people feel they have the right to plunk there shack down anywhere they feel, including infront of an existing shack...
Now I know nobody owns the ice therefore you can put your shack whereever you desire but come on, have a little respect for your neighbours and dont crowd others... I think in the past the association did a great job in organising the placement of shacks so this kind of thing doesnt happen..It may irratate you a little being told where to place your shack but it really is for the good of the ice fishing community.. It allows for easy plowing of the ice, clear unabstracted access to your shack, Parking on the ice close to the shack , and My biggest consern is the ability to remove your shack at any time and not interfer or disturbe your neighbours shack in any way.. Id hate to damage someone elses property because they have obstructed my ability to move but I would do it if I had too, and would hate even more for someone else to damage my shack !

So all in all I believe having an association in an area like renforth that sees allot of shacks a positive thing .. Im sure like the article says they will be back bigger and better next year .. Im curiuos to know how others feel about associations ..

There are a few things that really grinds my gears that I see out on the ice that would be nice to try to eliminate.
1: Garbage !! Pick up after yourself,Beer bottles , food wrappers, Shack material blowing al over the ice .Theres no need of it .
2: As above dont crowd your neighbour
3: Chewing up the entrance to the ice is the last thing. If the entrance to the ice is soft stay off if for a day or to to let it set back up.. A nice access to the ice is appriciated by all especially the people nice enough to plow a road ..

Hope you are all haveing a good year , Ill be back out next year ..
Yeah,I guess it's the same everywhere.You would think people would use a little common sense when they place their shacks.Ours was the second one out on the Cameron this year,it started out right,everyone in rows,room enough to park beside your shack and to get a plow through.But It seems when someone hears about a certain shack that producing lots of smelt, everyone wants to get as close as possible,as if that makes a difference,like you'r in a secret zone or something.I like the point you made about having enough room to get your shack off,Cripes,we can't even park beside the shack without either blocking the lane or leaving our ass end stuck out for some lame brain to smuck.It seems like their are lots of newbys out there this year and they are just kerplunking their shacks anywhere,a little guidance in this area wouldn't hurt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts