New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for someone who has a setup not walmart cheap actually decent and good reel that willl sell me it let me know what ya have im interestd in getting on ASAP thanks everyone

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Call Don Gallagher 645-1170, he has everything from 2 weight to 9 weight rods and reels and also combo set ups even starter kits for kids.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i want the good setup Ill wanna have for good type deal that will handle stuff as small as 4" brookies to big salmon what would a suggestion be Jim VE9WH ? In your opinion im asking
I wanna start with good stuff and not change it up a multi purpose fish fly rod alll species except wahles*sarcasim* lol but you know what i mean haha Thanks !

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
If you are going up orth to fish salmon, you will need an 8 weight, but for fishing around here for 4" brookies, that could be handled by a 2 or 3 weight, so it's kind of hard to get one to do all situations, an 8 weight is overkill for 4" brookies, If you are planning a lot of trips up north, get an 8 weight and ppick up a 2 or 3 weight later on. Don sells St Croix Rods and Fleuger reels, It is top notch qaulity.

·
Registered
576 Posts
If you are going up orth to fish salmon, you will need an 8 weight, but for fishing around here for 4" brookies, that could be handled by a 2 or 3 weight, so it's kind of hard to get one to do all situations, an 8 weight is overkill for 4" brookies, If you are planning a lot of trips up north, get an 8 weight and ppick up a 2 or 3 weight later on. Don sells St Croix Rods and Fleuger reels, It is top notch qaulity.
ya what Jim said, i was gonna reply back lastnight with perty much the same reply. you'd be better off buying from a dealer, then you'd at least get warranty coverage and you can get some good deals on combo kits like the reddington rods, you get rod, reel, case, line with backing i believe for 250 bucks plus tax at eskape anglers, that's if the deal is still on.. check your local fly shops is my suggestion.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey @ Jim VE9WH, Thanks alot I will try him this week and check him out !! Where is he located at ?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Those Redington combos are very good, as are the Temple Fork Outfitters rod/reel combos. Fredericton Outfitters carries them for about $240; they include rod, reel, backing, line, leader & a case. I have three Redington rods & three TFO rods; can't say enough good things about them.

I'm selling a new Loop 7wt rod, it's in the classifieds section here on this site, but there's no reel with it. Those combos would be a better buy if you need everything.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks both so much Jim and wannabe ! Info is very helpful !

·
Registered
79 Posts
Bany, it can be done. The old rule people often forget is "get the rod for the flies you want to cast, not the fish you want to catch." My uncle has been landing grilse & salmon on the same 5/6wt fiberglass for the past 30 years without any issues.

That being said, a 9' 7wt or 8wt (or 10' long, for that matter) will help you cover the water more on the Miramichi. It's a big river, and it does get windy. Plus you're limiting yourself with flies; the big bombers & the fall streamers will be a little harder to cast with your 8'6" 5wt.

Not saying you can't do it, but it'll be easier with a 7wt (or 8wt)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I support and buy only from local people and shops no online stuff

·
Registered
28 Posts
>< sorry. didn't mean to be unsupportive. Just that I happened to be back home in ON and pass by there....
But it's good to know that I know there's some shops here other than CanTire and WalM

1 - 16 of 16 Posts