New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Me and a few buds are heading up to Adams Pool on June 24th (next weekend)..was wondering if anyone had any info about that stretch. Ie, what pools, flies, and techniques for water conditions...many fish that far up the river yet?

Thanks!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey everyone,

Me and a few buds are heading up to Adams Pool on June 24th (next weekend)..was wondering if anyone had any info about that stretch. Ie, what pools, flies, and techniques for water conditions...many fish that far up the river yet?

Thanks!
I hope you guys do well, what I can tell you is that this stretch is probably the latest in the province for fish coming in. Usually July 1st is the earliest you would want to apply for that stretch. That being said, the salmon are early this year and you could hit a jackpot of early fish and have a ball. I've been up there twice, and love that piece of water - I have planned to go back but just haven't made it happen yet. The river is small up there, easy to cover the pools, I would fish bugs and bombers primarily, with maybe a few of my favorite hairwings thrown in the mix too. Unless you're going after trout, I wouldn't even bother going above Overnite falls, there won't be fish up there this early for sure.

That area got a LOT of rain this weekend, I'll bet it's in the bushes right now, hopefully that'll bring the fish and the water will have gone down and be just about perfect by next weekend. If the water is high, don't be afraid to try muddlers, I know it's a trout fly, but that is becoming my go-to high water fly - try it swung normally and try it hitched too.

Good luck and let us know how you made out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info! I haven't been able to find much online about this pool..fella over in Riverview said with the rain it should be jam packed with fish, and others are saying it'll be a little early...guess we'll have to wait and see! lol

So other then the green machines, undertakers, blackbears, etc...would you say to fish the bugs dry or sub surface? Just trying to figure out what line set up im going to rig up to start off!

Thanks again..any pics from your trips? I'm curious to see the area.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks for the info! I haven't been able to find much online about this pool..fella over in Riverview said with the rain it should be jam packed with fish, and others are saying it'll be a little early...guess we'll have to wait and see! lol

So other then the green machines, undertakers, blackbears, etc...would you say to fish the bugs dry or sub surface? Just trying to figure out what line set up im going to rig up to start off!

Thanks again..any pics from your trips? I'm curious to see the area.
I fish my bugs wet, swung like any wet fly. If the water's low sometimes I fish them dead drift like a nymph - this has worked for me when they're not taking well but you can miss a take pretty easy if you don't actually see them take it. Adams pool (the camp pool) is a fantastic bomber pool.

All of my pics were taken with an old 35mm camera (non-digital), but I do have one that I scanned a few months ago, it is looking at Adams pool right in front of the camp looking downriver while a friend is fishing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
how did you make out over the weekend ??
hey there,

Sorry for the delay, haven't been on the computer much! None of us caught any salmon at all, and didn't even see any...the water didn't seem very "fishy" while we were there lol...conditions seemed to be okay but no rolls, jumps, nothing..

We fished the main pools for a few hours each day, and after the rain we got on Saturday we headed up the road to some of the upper pools in hope to at least find some trout. No one else in my party caught any trout but I landed a nice 16" brookie on a size 6 caribou muddler. Most of the trout we saw were along the banks and hanging out around structures. I landed mine just behind a rock in a riffle and it took the fly as soon as it hit water.

If you don't think there's any salmon around when you're there I'd definitly recommend (as was mentioned earlier) to hit up the upper pools if you're up for a hike. It's a pretty decent trek through the woods so be prepared

Tight lines!

·
Registered
106 Posts
hey there,

Sorry for the delay, haven't been on the computer much! None of us caught any salmon at all, and didn't even see any...the water didn't seem very "fishy" while we were there lol...conditions seemed to be okay but no rolls, jumps, nothing..

We fished the main pools for a few hours each day, and after the rain we got on Saturday we headed up the road to some of the upper pools in hope to at least find some trout. No one else in my party caught any trout but I landed a nice 16" brookie on a size 6 caribou muddler. Most of the trout we saw were along the banks and hanging out around structures. I landed mine just behind a rock in a riffle and it took the fly as soon as it hit water.

If you don't think there's any salmon around when you're there I'd definitly recommend (as was mentioned earlier) to hit up the upper pools if you're up for a hike. It's a pretty decent trek through the woods so be prepared

Tight lines!
You probably missed them by a few days. It's a late stretch - having salmon there before July 1st
is hit or miss for sure. Beautiful little river though.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I was at adams about a month ago. i had to work for the first day and got a lift from a friend. ended up getting dropped off 5-8km from the camp and had to hike in the dark as the car finally bottomed out. the hike went without incident and it was not too hard to find the camp.

lots of fish were around but they were really lazy. had a couple strikes on bombers but none that stayed on. i landed two small trout and a couple of the boys got trout in 13-18inch range. the people who were there before us landed one salmon wich was found dead at the pool below the camp.

we all had an amazing experience! this was my first time fishing crown reserve and i will be puttin in for CR again next year for sure!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts