New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
Earlier this year I was picked in the crown reserve draw to go fishing in Adams Pool on July 8th. How should that be? What flies should I use? Will the fish have arrived by then?
I have also been invited to go fishing in the Lower North Branch of the little Southwest Miramichi on June 22nd. Is it worth paying $200 to go? Will the fish have arrived yet? What flies shall I use?
If anyone has any more info on these two places that would be very nice.
Thanks, Brendan.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I fish this stretch about 4 years ago, during the first week of July. We had caught 3 grilse and 2 salmon. We had luck with the green machine and the butterfly. Norms pool was the best pool for us, (1 grilse and 2 salmon caught there) There is another pool just below Norm's pool which was also good and easy to fish.

Unfortunately you need to be a billy goat in order to get to the river or to the camp. We had a wet couple of days and we literately had to wear our waders to walk in the trails and not in the river. (over a foot of mud for several hundred feet at a time). Also the river is only accessible via walking trails, which are over a mile long. (you will loose at least 2 hours of walking to get to peaceful pool) The trail to get to the camp is really rough, we had a hard time bringing a load down with the atv, so you won't be able to bring too much gear to the camp. During dry weather, the conditions and experience may be totally different.

There are 3 or 4 pools accessible from the camp (which is 700 meters off the road), I didn't catch anything in these pools, but the river was high the year we went, might explain why we were catching some on the upper stretches. I had a great time at this spot and for me this spot is worth it. You just have to like taking some abbuse to get to the fish.

I am not the subject matter expert on this pool and I'm sure the more experienced members might be able to help you out more.

Good luck

·
Registered
888 Posts
To reach the upper pools, take your car or atv and drive up the road. You'll see a trail/dirt road on your left, leading back into the river. Faster to drive upriver than to walk it. The trail up there does not go all the way to the river, so bring a gps or compass. IT's not far to walk the rest of the way to the water, but you could get lost in a moment of inattention.
The pool right in front of the camp is tiny and you have to clamber down a cliff to fish it, but we pulled a couple of grilse out of there. We were surprised.
Like Muddler says, watch out on the trail in and out of the camp if you are atving in and out. Very steep, very rough, easy to flip over if you aren't careful. I don't mean to be overly dramatic, it's ok for an experienced rider who is careful. I'd just hate to see anyone get hurt through not paying attention or inexperience on steep, bumpy hills.
Definitely green machines and butterflies work on this stretch. Lots of trout as well but remember you must release all trout on this stretch.
Camp is ok, it's getting quite old but its perfectly serviceable.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Looks like most of the important points have been already said about the Adams Stretch. I drive my ATV down the little road to the bottom with the trailor hooked onto the bike and everyone's gear in the trailor and then make successive trips down the hill to the camp. Usually takes me 4 trips to get all my gear in, ya I know I take too much my fishing buddy tells me that too. I quit driving my ATV down the ATV trail as it is pretty trecherous and you can't carry much on a bike rack anyway. The pools that we've always had luck on were Starrs Pool, Adams Pool, Secret Pool and Norms Hole. The earliest that I've ever fished that stretch was 15 July.

Good Luck
Bill G.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts