New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Hope the winter is passing as fast for you as it is for me! Only 67 days left until April 15th

Anywho, as stated in the title, I have a few questions about the Crown Water stretches.

The weeks we're looking into are either June 24 or Aug 12. My questions are:

1) Are there certain stretches that are better then others during these times?

2) Are there certain stretches that are more car-friendly than others? (more than likely we will be going up by car).

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

MC

·
Registered
576 Posts
I've only been to a few crown reserve spots so can't really comment on best times.. i think in general, june, july, august and september should be ok for any of the stretches... that's just based on past posts i've read and my limited experience on them. As for vehicle access, you can find that info online on the DNR page under the stretch info guide.. i believe it tells you for some of the stretches that you need 4x4 but i think that is for some of the daily reserve stuff..Again seeing i've only been to a few spots can't comment for the whole system.. some of the roads I've been on you can do 90 kph no problem, smoother than pave!

·
Registered
64 Posts
You can find all of the catch/effort stats on the DNR website. Keep in mind that probably all the stretches on the Nor'west will probably be catch and release only this year(not official yet).

·
Registered
576 Posts
You can find all of the catch/effort stats on the DNR website. Keep in mind that probably all the stretches on the Nor'west will probably be catch and release only this year(not official yet).
Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) wishes to inform the public of changes in management measures for Atlantic Salmon angling on the Northwest Miramichi River system.

Effective July 6, 2011, at 12:00 p.m. (noon), the following stretches will become mandatory catch and release: the portion of Little Southwest Miramichi and its tributaries upstream from Catamaran Brook: the portion of Northwest Miramichi upstream from Little River; both the north and south branches of the Sevogle upstream from and including Square Forks. In 2012 and beyond, these catch and release restrictions will be in effect for the entire season.

Also effective July 6, 2011, at 12:00 p.m. (noon) until July 31, 2011, the portion of the Northwest Miramichi from and including Little River downstream to Wayerton Bridge at Route 430 will become mandatory catch and release. In 2012 and beyond, this catch and release restriction will be in effect from June 1 to July 31.

These measures will be in place for three years (2011, 2012 and 2013), unless there is a major change in the percent of conservation achieved. At the end of the 2013 season, these measures would be subject to a review to determine if they continue to be adequate.

Atlantic Salmon returns on the Northwest Miramichi system only achieved 53% of conservation requirements in 2010 (34% in 2009). The conservation requirement is the minimum spawning requirement to ensure salmon stock conservation.

Stakeholders have expressed concerns to DFO that salmon conservation requirements on this system are not met. The decision to change the management measures has been made after extensive consultations with the Miramichi Watershed Management Committee, the New Brunswick Wildlife Federation, the New Brunswick Salmon Council, the Province of New Brunswick, the resident First Nations of the Miramichi, and other affected Aboriginal groups.

Anglers practicing catch and release play an important role in the conservation of the resource. The measures announced today will allow anglers to continue their participation in the recreational fishery and to also become a part of the solution to address the low returns of salmon in the Northwest Miramichi River system.

For more information:

Pierre Bélanger
Resource Management, Department of Fisheries and Oceans
Moncton, New Brunswick
506-851-2002

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Our group is all good with C&R.

My thinking is a lot of old school "hook & cook" fishermen will not be putting their names in the draw due to this, so hopefully a better chance for us!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Anybody know if the the C&R stretches will enforce barbless hooks? I'm definitely OK with this.
No barbless is not enforced but would be a great idea seamming it is C&R. As far as streches I was at Depot last year July 26 -28th. A co worker was there June 26th -28th both groups were into great fishing. As far as getting there by car you can drive right up to the door with a car. There are 2 pools right at the camp .. Camp pool and Dead crow as you head down river there are a couple of pools that are short walks if you keep going down river you come to American pool there is a road but I wouldn't recomend a car I had no problems with my Sante fe but depending on what you wanted to put your car through. If you wanted to walk to American pool from the camp I'd say it would be a 30 min walk down the road. Well worth the walk it was the most productive pool for both groups. There are other pools farther down but I never made it past american pool. I will go through my photos and see if I can upload some to the gallary to give you an idea of what to expect. Cheers I hope this helps.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Our group is all good with C&R.

My thinking is a lot of old school "hook & cook" fishermen will not be putting their names in the draw due to this, so hopefully a better chance for us!
Ya I know guys that won't go either unless they can keep a fish.... oh well, in my opinion it's their loss and our gain!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ya I know guys that won't go either unless they can keep a fish.... oh well, in my opinion it's their loss and our gain!
Most definitely! It's my fourth time applying for the draw. I have yet to be drawn, but I've got faith my luck will be good this year!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No barbless is not enforced but would be a great idea seamming it is C&R. As far as streches I was at Depot last year July 26 -28th. A co worker was there June 26th -28th both groups were into great fishing. As far as getting there by car you can drive right up to the door with a car. There are 2 pools right at the camp .. Camp pool and Dead crow as you head down river there are a couple of pools that are short walks if you keep going down river you come to American pool there is a road but I wouldn't recomend a car I had no problems with my Sante fe but depending on what you wanted to put your car through. If you wanted to walk to American pool from the camp I'd say it would be a 30 min walk down the road. Well worth the walk it was the most productive pool for both groups. There are other pools farther down but I never made it past american pool. I will go through my photos and see if I can upload some to the gallary to give you an idea of what to expect. Cheers I hope this helps.
Thanks for the info!I Every little bit helps! I think we found a truck, so we should be good. I'm gettin pumped just thinking of fishing !!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
barbed hooks are okay in other waters but it says in the guide book that all of the miramichie is barbless hooks only

·
Registered
576 Posts
barbed hooks are okay in other waters but it says in the guide book that all of the miramichie is barbless hooks only
Ipop, sorry you are incorrect. this is a copy from the guide, there are several references to barbless in there:

• All Crown Reserve Waters are fly fishing only. Barbed flies are legal on Regular and Daily
Crown Reserves. Barbless flies are required on Live Release Crown Reserves. Trolling with
artificial flies is permitted on all Crown Reserves.

-Only fly fishing with barbless or pinched hooks is permitted. There are five of these
reserves in the Miramichi drainage (see page 11). The season extends from June 1-Sept. 15.
Waters are closed before and after the Live Release Crown Reserve season. See page 22
and 23.

- During the period from April 15 to May 15, barbless flies must now be used for angling
all species (including Atlantic Salmon and brook trout) in the Fly Fishing Only sections
on the following rivers (see pages 20-21). Tributaries are not included.
Main Southwest Miramichi
Bartholomew
Big Sevogle
Cains
Dungarvon
Little Southwest
Renous
North Branch
Southwest Miramichi
Northwest Miramichi
South Branch
Southwest Miramichi
Tabusintac

-Bartibog River: During the period from April 15th to April 30th, barbless flies must now
be used for angling all species (including Atlantic salmon and brook trout) in the Fly

-Spring salmon (kelt) angling
Open season . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . April 15-May 15
Daily live release limit (unless the daily bag limit is reached) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .10
Fly fishing only with barbless hooks.

-Restricted Gear Waters
1 All angling for all species in the following waters is restricted to:
a. a single barbless hook or;
b. an unbaited lure with a single barbless hook or;
c. a baited lure with a single barbless hook or;
d. a baited spinner with a single barbless hook or;
e. an unbaited spinner with a single barbless hook or;
f. an artificial fly with single barbless hook.
Water Stretch Date
Miramichi River Centennial Bridge upstream to the confluence of the Main
Southwest Miramichi River and Northwest Miramichi River
Year round
Main Southwest Miramichi River Confluence with Northwest Miramichi River upstream to
Doyle's Brook
Year round
Northwest Miramichi River From the junction with the Main Southwest Miramichi River
upstream to Red Bank / Sunny Corner highway bridge
Year round

·
Registered
298 Posts
For all that are confused after reading what Chad just posted, which does come from our booklet I will try to ease some worries. When I realized last year that when my group was going to Depot and it was now C&R because of the variation order I had the option of getting the $$ back, that was the last thing I was worried about ! So I pulled out the fish booklet and read it several times what was getting me confused was the fact that in the booklet it says ... • All Crown Reserve Waters are fly fishing only. Barbed flies are legal on Regular and Daily
Crown Reserves. Barbless flies are required on Live Release Crown Reserves. Trolling with
artificial flies is permitted on all Crown Reserves. That one paragraph had me worried because the variation order made Depot live release. So did this mean barbless ? I called just too make sure and was told that the variation order didn't add barbless due to the fact that it is a regular crown reserve so the order is only being enforced as it states. So after that explanation I said can someone tell me if it is requried to pinch the barbs or not .. I got a chuckle and was told " No you do not have to fish barbless but it makes sense if you have to release the fish. " I hope this helps anyone that was as confused as I was.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
sorry but i mostly fish the miramichie for black salmon and so i had no idea that the crown reserve waters were not included in all the gear restricted waters. my concern was a conflict just like Zamboni-guy describes

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got another question:

What if one person from the chosen party cannot make it that weekend. Is the money forfeited or can he be replaced with someone else? Haven't seen anything posted on the GNB website?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Got another question:

What if one person from the chosen party cannot make it that weekend. Is the money forfeited or can he be replaced with someone else? Haven't seen anything posted on the GNB website?
it's on the DNR site in the fishing guide, you can sub someone in if needed, they were saying there could be a cost to doing that this year but not sure if it will happen. The long and short, if anyone can't make it you either don't pay the full fee and no one goes, or you pay the full fee and that person can't go and hopefully you find someone that will reimburse them the fee they paid.. if not they're sh*t out of luck.. the province won't refund their fee as the full fee has to be paid in full.. now last year was an exception with the catch and release being introduced after all this draw stuff occurred and some groups already paying, the province refunded their full fee if they didn't want to go, don't expect that this year.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
it's on the DNR site in the fishing guide, you can sub someone in if needed, they were saying there could be a cost to doing that this year but not sure if it will happen. The long and short, if anyone can't make it you either don't pay the full fee and no one goes, or you pay the full fee and that person can't go and hopefully you find someone that will reimburse them the fee they paid.. if not they're sh*t out of luck.. the province won't refund their fee as the full fee has to be paid in full.. now last year was an exception with the catch and release being introduced after all this draw stuff occurred and some groups already paying, the province refunded their full fee if they didn't want to go, don't expect that this year.
That's great to know!! Thanks Chadman and good luck to you and your group!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts