New Brunswick Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Banned
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caught word of this and thought I would pass it on
While fishing the Crawford stretch on the NW on the weekend. The stretch is full of fish - or was - not long after they got there, you guessed it - a whole crew of natives arrived. With the water low the salmon had no chance - they simply drug nets down through all the pools - right in front of Mike and the guys. It was a slaughter. He said there were guys dragging the nets and a bunch of others holding poles - they were hanging the salmon on the poles - one guy on each end. He said there were a couple hens so big they could hardly lift them. A few insults were hurled, but no physical incident occured. According to the log book this had happened to the party before as well.

there is no need for this and it HAS to stop!!!!******* greedy bastards

·
Banned
65 Posts
Caught word of this and thought I would pass it on
While fishing the Crawford stretch on the NW on the weekend. The stretch is full of fish - or was - not long after they got there, you guessed it - a whole crew of natives arrived. With the water low the salmon had no chance - they simply drug nets down through all the pools - right in front of Mike and the guys. It was a slaughter. He said there were guys dragging the nets and a bunch of others holding poles - they were hanging the salmon on the poles - one guy on each end. He said there were a couple hens so big they could hardly lift them. A few insults were hurled, but no physical incident occured. According to the log book this had happened to the party before as well.

there is no need for this and it HAS to stop!!!!******* greedy bastards
How good is your information on this. Not that I don't believe you but its hard to imagine how bold they could be to do this. Does DFO know about this? What about the news stations? What about pictures. Everybody takes cameras to crown trips and I'd be snapping pictures like crazy!

·
Registered
5 Posts
We were on the Narrows recently and ran into something like this as well. Three people who we thought were hikers dropped down to one of our lower pools. Later came back up with 20 or so salmon on sticks and a net around their neck. Next day we went down to the pool and found 5 Salmon roting on the shore an another net on the bank. DFO came by and picked up the net and took our statements.
You may want to be on the look out for a Maroon Crown Victoria with no muffler and tinted windows. Some people with a camp in the area spotted this car parked on the road on the way down to where we were fishing. They were the only other people we saw...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Unbeleivable! I've never heard of anything like this before and i sure hope something is done about this..... greedy is right and outright arrogant if you ask me... law should apply to natives as well and treaty rights should be scrapped as they should not apply in this day and age.... i can just imagine the guys just standing there watching in disgust... unreal!

·
Registered
19 Posts
We were on the Narrows recently and ran into something like this as well. Three people who we thought were hikers dropped down to one of our lowers pools. Later came back up with 20 or so salmon on sticks and a net around there neck. Next day we went down to the pool and found 5 Salmon roting on the shore an another net on the bank. DFO came by and picked up the net and took our statements.
You may want to be on the look out for a Maroon Crown Victoria with no muffler and tinted windows. Some people with a camp in the area spotted this car parked on the road on the way down to where we were fishing. They were the only other people we saw...
Thanks for the description of the car, we are on the CR in 2 weeks... so we'll keep a lookout.....

·
Banned
65 Posts
You didn't take pictures of the guys with nets around there neck and a bunch of fish? Only way to get the public in an uproar it to have pictures on the news and in the papers of some assholes with poles loaded with fish.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hopefully you will still see some fish in two weeks. We had one pool with about 40-50 fish in it...
Sure hope so... we'll be at Groundhog Landing... our first time at this camp.... heard it is pretty nice stretch... we're all looking forward to it.. nice amount of fish... nice to see that is for sure... hope you all had a good time... i know we do!

·
Registered
19 Posts
You didn't take pictures of the guys with nets around there neck and a bunch of fish? Only way to get the public in an uproar it to have pictures on the news and in the papers of some assholes with poles loaded with fish.
We always have cameras with us, so we'll be ready to take some snap shots at a moments notice.... one of the boys usually brings a video camera.... so it may turn out to be a documentary... :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry no photo's. We were in another pool just around the corner when they came by. Only one guy saw them go by with the fish and he did not have the camera...

·
Banned
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How good is your information on this. Not that I don't believe you but its hard to imagine how bold they could be to do this. Does DFO know about this? What about the news stations? What about pictures. Everybody takes cameras to crown trips and I'd be snapping pictures like crazy!
source is 3rd party but I trust it plus it was also logged in the book at the camp by a previous group.
to be honest just caught wind of this a couple hrs ago so not sure if there are pictures but if there are and its true (which I believe it is) it should be all over the media

·
Registered
129 Posts
yeah i was fishing one day and i was parked beside the road and i seen a maroon crown Vic stopped behing my car and when i left my tired was leaking with nails in my tires

·
Registered
34 Posts
yeah i was fishing one day and i was parked beside the road and i seen a maroon crown Vic stopped behing my car and when i left my tired was leaking with nails in my tires
....and I saw Bigfoot....it really happened...but unless I was lucky/smart enough to take some pictures, then it is just hearsay.

I would love to see pictures of this. Who wants to bet we will never see them???? Anybody? Everybody has a camera but this crown reserve crew didn't, hmmmm....?????

Cause the stink first....ask questions later...........

PROVE IT!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
....and I saw Bigfoot....it really happened...but unless I was lucky/smart enough to take some pictures, then it is just hearsay.

I would love to see pictures of this. Who wants to bet we will never see them???? Anybody? Everybody has a camera but this crown reserve crew didn't, hmmmm....?????

Cause the stink first....ask questions later...........

PROVE IT!!!
it seems to me your very defensive about this..... And any other time somebody says something about natives. To be honest this doesn't surprise me At all I've seen natives out in there yard stringing out nets and cleaning salmon. It pisses me off that we allow this too happen so much. and the white man is blamed for hurting the salmon industry when this [email protected] happens all the time

·
Registered
34 Posts
it seems to me your very defensive about this..... And any other time somebody says something about natives. To be honest this doesn't surprise me At all I've seen natives out in there yard stringing out nets and cleaning salmon. It pisses me off that we allow this too happen so much. and the white man is blamed for hurting the salmon industry when this [email protected] happens all the time
You have to be joking??

This has to be quick as I don't have the time but first when everyone continues to say Natives it implies all of them. No different then if I say "Stanleyers" are netting the Nashwaak when there is one guy that is doing it. There are some bad apples everywhere.

As I have said before, pointing fingers isn't going to work. It is a me agaisnt you mentalalty that doesn't work for children not alone adults but feel free, point away little ones. This post is a great example of fanning the flames without any proof....NONE....but how many people are going to believe it because that is what those horrilbe Indians do?

The facts don't bare out peoples thought on this matter. The Indians have been taking fish for thousands of years, they probably took more than they do today. The stocks have decreased considerably over the past 100 years and we know who to blame. White people...we all know that it is our fault 100% but somehow the indians are to blame? Give your collective heads a shake.

Stop stirring the pot, look for the real answers, and stop looking for the easy solution. It takes bridge building, not bridge burning.

Did this stuff really happen, it could have, but I'll reserve hanging 500 people by the neck because someone on a internet forum board told me to. Any concrete proof yet???

·
Registered
132 Posts
lets not start the blam game here again first of all are they allowed to do this, if not report it if so live with it. are we always going to point the finger at the natives, we know what they are given the right to do so why do we still bicker back and forth
I am not happy about the situation, but lets work together to solve or improve the situation
just my opinion

·
122 Posts
Id doesn't matter who did this, whoever did it desserves the same treatment as the poor fish.....strung on a pole if you ask me.

My buddy witnessed first hand last week on a small stream 25 brights gathered in a small pool, with 2 guys neck high in water with snaring polls flipping fish on the high bank. He did the only right thing he could do at the time, report it to DNR COs IMMEDIATELY.

·
Registered
77 Posts
You have to be joking??

This has to be quick as I don't have the time but first when everyone continues to say Natives it implies all of them. No different then if I say "Stanleyers" are netting the Nashwaak when there is one guy that is doing it. There are some bad apples everywhere.

As I have said before, pointing fingers isn't going to work. It is a me agaisnt you mentalalty that doesn't work for children not alone adults but feel free, point away little ones. This post is a great example of fanning the flames without any proof....NONE....but how many people are going to believe it because that is what those horrilbe Indians do?

The facts don't bare out peoples thought on this matter. The Indians have been taking fish for thousands of years, they probably took more than they do today. The stocks have decreased considerably over the past 100 years and we know who to blame. White people...we all know that it is our fault 100% but somehow the indians are to blame? Give your collective heads a shake.

Stop stirring the pot, look for the real answers, and stop looking for the easy solution. It takes bridge building, not bridge burning.

Did this stuff really happen, it could have, but I'll reserve hanging 500 people by the neck because someone on a internet forum board told me to. Any concrete proof yet???
What are you talking about buddy? I'm not stirring the pot at all I'm stating my feelings that others just will not say. And again in this post your getting your back up again defending there wrongdoings. If you think that what they are doing is right, just because they were here first, you need to get your head straight. It's the same thing as the moose hunt too. The white man gets one tag, and the natives get as many as they want. Then they go and blabber about respecting our wildlife and our woodlands. As far as I am concerned this is and netting fish is abuse of our natural resources.

·
Registered
77 Posts
lets not start the blam game here again first of all are they allowed to do this, if not report it if so live with it. are we always going to point the finger at the natives, we know what they are given the right to do so why do we still bicker back and forth
I am not happy about the situation, but lets work together to solve or improve the situation
just my opinion
Last time I checked they weren't allowed to do it on crown water that people pay money to fish on. Makes it worse they did it while people were there

1 - 20 of 49 Posts